2018 Oglethorpe County Hunt Reports

georgia_home

my mrs likes the pork more than venison.

the venison, she'll eat ground up in something that covers the taste. chili, sloppy joe, meat sauce/spaghetti. a little sausage.

we had some deer a few weeks back. fresh mule deer, same day, and day after, and she palmed it. the boy and i enjoyed.

the fresh pork, she'd eat pretty much any way it was cooked.

Headed to the OC now, hoping the cool,clear weather tomorrow will mean good movement, and I'd just as soon put pork in the freezer , as I would venison, probably even moreso , cause we're still trying to get the population built back up around our area.
Good luck to all !

Last edited:

revans4661

Hey OC hunters, I haven't posted in here since last year so thought I would share. We have had 4 good dove shoots at a friends farm which is the highlight of all my hunting so far this year. The deer have been missing this season, and I fear we have been "outcorned". The last 2 years I did not have 1 sit where I didn't see at least 1 deer. This year I have already had 2. I have heard plenty of shooting from our neighbors in all directions. At our lease we don't plant and we don't bait. It's standing timber with few hardwoods. A ton of browse, and some acorns here and there. I saw alot of sign early, and those scrapes don't look like they have been worked in weeks. I'm going to hold judgement until after next weekend, but we may be trucking in corn soon. I don't really want to, but if the deer are headed for the yellow gold, then we may have to.
Also, we have a new member, an OC legend has joined us, although I think he hunts all over the county?. I'll let him introduce himself, although I think he may be on the property now. Good luck everyone!

Steven037

Lots of movement today. Bucks were on the prowl. Saw a nice heavy horned 8 but no shot. Got to watch him make a scrape which was cool. Saw several hunting the pines this morning and 10 sitting on a food plot this afternoon. Took a nice 110 pound doe about 5:30 this afternoon. Fire tower was super busy tonight. Can’t wait to get back at it in the morning.

Triple C

Great weekend in OC. Multiple bucks... chasing, fighting, and more chasing. All got a pass. Missed a HUGE boar flinging arrows from a recurve. He was beyond my effective range but couldn't resist slinging 2 arrows at him. Son had a lot of action as well. Weather was outstanding. Next couple of weeks should be outstanding in OC. I love being in the woods this time of year!

Buford_Dawg

What everyone else said, LOL. We had a ball in OC this weekend. Large turnout at camp, numerous deer seen, a couple of pretty decent 9 point bucks taken by members and a doe. I watched my first chasing of the year this AM as a spike pushed a doe for 30 minutes around me in some hardwoods. Her fawn had no idea what to think of that ;)

And much appreciation to revans4661 for offering me opportunity to join his small club this year. Got a late start there but a have had a couple of AM hunts and the land looks great and Rick is a stand up guy for sure. Look forward to hunting with him this year some and also the guys in the Hoot Owl club that I have meet thru the forum, some stand up guys.

AC, you keep working on that big boar, I believe RR saw him the other day at hoot owl at the gate on your side.

Hopefully some bigger bucks will make their presence seen here in next week or so, I will be back down about Thursday for another try at it.

Triple C

AC, you keep working on that big boar, I believe RR saw him the other day at hoot owl at the gate on your side.

Ha! Hope somebody over there shoots him. I was huntin' with a recurve and felt outgunned. I swear he was so big I didn't want to climb down at dark with him in the field along with a couple of sows and a few piglets. Flung 2 arrows at him n came close but not close enuf. Kept thinking I shoulda had my sidearm.

Todd E

Triple C, I finally crossed paths with the one I've been looking for in all of 20+ years. 300lb trophy boar. Still disgusted. After an overnight wait, I trailed blood through the nastiest briar patch to an.......empty bed.

jbird1

What a weekend! This report mirrors others from the region. Bucks of all age classes were on the move. The thing that stuck out to me were the numbers of good bucks that were sighted. The variables (dates, cold front, moon phase/position, age structure, herd health) all pointed to lots of pre-rut activity and it did not disappoint. Fresh rubs and scrapes, fights, bucks chasing does and even does chasing bucks of all things. On Saturday morning, a young hunter scored on a nice split g-2 10 point and another hunter missed on a big deer that was running. I watched a beautiful 3.5 year old buck tending a doe late Saturday morning that was worth the price of admission. I hope to run across him next season. Sunday was a carbon copy of Saturday with LOTS of activity. I hope it's still going strong next weekend as that was a lot of fun...but, that's why they call it hunting so no guarantees.

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

How many of y'all now are Corning?
The reason I ask is we are not, and just not seeing the numbers like we usually see and wondered if that's had any bearing. I'm not against it at all just wondering is all

Buford_Dawg

The reason I ask is we are not, and just not seeing the numbers like we usually see and wondered if that's had any bearing. I'm not against it at all just wondering is all
We are not in 2 properties I hunt. I believe I am seeing a difference in numbers on the one club I have hunted for 15 years. I know our neighbors are baiting all around us there. I am new to the other club and cant comment on history of deer numbers. On another club, we are baiting ALOT, really ALOT and it is definitely keeping hogs around in high numbers. I am not sure it is drawing more deer in however, but this is also a new club as well, so hard for me to provide good feedback.

Todd E

We are not corning deer and we are not seeing deer.
This is the year where corn became king in the north and everybody went crazy.
No boomer acorn crop. No plots. No bait. No deer. I'm just not into deer hunting this year. Lost my interest.

jbird1

No corn and seeing plenty of deer. We have plenty of soft mast on the ground however.

Last edited:

transfixer

of the people actively hunting in our club three of us are running feeders, one guy hasn't been, we've been seeing deer , he has not, in a spot that years past he usually has seen deer. He finally gave in and we helped him hang a feeder this past weekend, We are surrounded by other clubs, and knew they would be putting out corn, so the majority of us figured we would have to also, I will say it has helped us determine how many deer we have using our property, by running cameras on the feeder locations, we don't plan on shooting any more than we have in recent years, as we're trying to let the population build back up,

I have one stand that I put out a pretty big tripod feeder, specifically for the hogs, as its in a low lying bottom type area, where the hogs have hung around on a fairly regular basis, I'm more interested in putting pork in the freezer than I am deer this year.

transfixer

As a side note, I've noticed that since muzzleloader weekend, my trail cams have more night time pics than daytime pics, prior to muzzleloader weekend it was about half and half, but almost no one hunted our lease during bow season. take that for what its worth, they still hit the feeders now, but more at night than in the daytime.

Arrow3

I dont have any corn out. Not saying I wont put some out but we have so many hogs its about a waste of money.

frdstang90

I have not put any corn out either. I used to start putting corn out after deer season closed and would keep feeders full until around August. It got to where it seemed that I was feeding more pigs than deer. I quit about 3 years ago and it seems the hog sightings have really went down since. I am not saying that I wont put corn out later in the season but I am not now.