2018 Oglethorpe County Hunt Reports

revans4661

I'm in sunny Orlando for the next 8 days for work. It's killing me! I know the weather stinks, but they were really starting to move around our place this weekend. I saw alot of deer, and was fortunate to take a decent 9 on Saturday. He was chasing and I had about 4 seconds to make a decision. He's not a world beater, but I knew I wouldn't be back in the woods until the rut was possibly over. He was not swollen, and didn't have the smell.We have a few nice uns on camera still running around, and I just know they will wait for me to get back... :ROFLMAO: Good luck y'all, try and stay dry.

oglebuck747

We have not seen much this season in the Stephens area this year, but my dad said on Tuesday morning while sitting in some thick pines that he watched 4 wall hangers at 25 yards chase one doe. He couldn't believe what he saw and he could not even get the slightest chance to pull a shot off. He claims that all four of them were bigger than anything he has on the wall already, and he has some pretty good ones.

This morning he hit a doe with his truck while driving to the woods.

Triple C if your reading, you know us by the Cumuze's.

rbday1989

Hunted Saturday- Tuesday in Oglethorpe county off Old Edwards Rd in arnoldsville saw good many deer this weekend while sitting in the rain.. seen 2 8pts all tending a doe! Seen what looked to be a shooter buck at the back of a food plot right at dark standing off the field some but it happen so fast by the time I pulled the gun up he was gone! I’d say the rut is in full blown right now by what me and the people in my club have seen.. also seen this horned tree on the side of the road our camp is on prob the biggest I’ve seen on our club 38E9BB1B-2967-4E25-99F7-51A155D01121.jpeg

jbird1

The God of Sun will once again, bless us this weekend. I think I'll do the grocery run today and check the boys out of school early tomorrow. Blew a trailer tire at 10pm in the rain last Friday night in Madison County...hoping for a smooth, daylight entry this week.:wink: I don't expect I to be wide open like a few weeks ago but I know there will be some Monsters slipping around still. Everyone stay safe and Happy Hunting!!

transfixer

Normally we go to the club a day or two before thanksgiving and hunt till Sunday, but we're going to change up, the way the weather is working out we're going either tomorrow afternoon or Saturday morning and stay till Wednesday, they're still calling for rain either Thanksgiving day or Friday, I'm hoping between the sun tomorrow and wind it will dry the road out some going into our place, the loggers have it all torn up,

jbird1

fixer- that may be a prudent call...I try to avoid hunting in the rain these days as well. I would be more open to it if we weren't primitive camping and/or had some shooting houses.

transfixer

fixer- that may be a prudent call...I try to avoid hunting in the rain these days as well. I would be more open to it if we weren't primitive camping and/or had some shooting houses.

We're primitive camping as well, we have campers, but no power or water, now that I'm older,, lol , I've found cold and damp isn't as easy to deal with as when I was younger,,, we've got a couple of box blinds, and ground blinds we hunt from sometimes, but its hard to sit around a campfire when its drizzling rain! :)

Todd E

Have y'all noticed that you just don't see many OC bucks entered in the truck buck contest nowadays?

Arrow3

I shot this buck Saturday before last running a doe in Oglethorpe county. I had to holler at him about 80 yards through the woods to get him to stop. I was sitting on the ground and he mule kicked with the shot. 3 of us looked for a hour and never found a speck of blood. We then made circles just praying to find him. I was all but sure I hit him but the lack of blood or hair made me think it was a clean miss. Yesterday afternoon I was going in the same area hunting but from a different direction because of all the standing water. I smelled him and he was just off of one of our acces points in. Only thing I can figure is that's he was quartered away and the bullet didnt exit. I'm thankful to have the rack but disappointed to lose the meat. I rough scored him at 126 2/8ths last night. Short beams and a 13 inch inside spread hurt his score. I'm still very happy with him though.FB_IMG_1542298832469.jpg

Todd E

Ive been off on vacation this week. Bucks are trolling. I haven't seen any all out dogging. Only bumping and trolling. Killed a yote. Hit a buck hard other eve with pistol but never could find him. Called a dog and looked for 5 hours the next day. 46093254_2099501523415071_2302977780695957504_n.jpg46174825_2102418036456753_3586599645540777984_n.jpg46115859_2102418063123417_1622754191933964288_n.jpg46131345_2102418103123413_838839466897440768_n.jpg

Arrow3

Sorry. I'm in the same boat. My hope is he survived and didn't bleed out.
Very nice rack on your deer.
Thank you Todd. Phaelon text me and I looked up the number for a tracking dog when you shot yours and gave it to her. Hate you lost your buck.

Arrow3

I saw 110 inch 8 pointer on lock down with a doe on Sandy Cross rd a couple hours ago.

Todd E

Thank you Todd. Phaelon text me and I looked up the number for a tracking dog when you shot yours and gave it to her. Hate you lost your buck.

Thanks for doing that. No telling how many handlers I called that night trying to get someone to come on.

So, it was a week and a half before you found yours? I guess between coyotes and hogs.....they picked him clean. Wow.

Arrow3

Thanks for doing that. No telling how many handlers I called that night trying to get someone to come on.

So, it was a week and a half before you found yours? I guess between coyotes and hogs.....they picked him clean. Wow.
Youre welcome.. Wish ya'll could have found him.

Yes , it was a week and a half. I imagine the 40 inches of rain had a part in it decomposing so fast as well.... Im 100 Percent sure its the same deer I shot.. I described him to a T to my buddies in the club when I shot. We did not have this deer on camera.

jbird1

Nice deer, Arrow....I'm sure that one was haunting you a little bit. I'm envious of you fellas that get to hunt tonight with the rain stopping and the cold front pushing through....tomorrow AM ought to be fun too with freezing temps.

Todd E

I'm envious of you fellas that get to hunt tonight with the rain stopping and the cold front pushing through....tomorrow AM ought to be fun too with freezing temps.

Some deer started moving early this afternoon. Most of the shooting I heard, was later in the evening. With the way the wind is howling, right now......my plans for the morning may need to change. I just cannot stand hunting in high winds.

Todd E

The tracking dog guy A3 provided me a number for is from Elberton. If y'all ever need one, you may want to call him. He told me he tracks solely for tips. He is real close to where a lot of you hunt. It's just a thought.