2018 Oglethorpe County Hunt Reports

partner1

We know we have a tough job ahead of us to find land or an existing lease that works but we are a determined bunch of guys. We can really add value to a property. We are serious so we bow hunt, muzzle loader and gun hunt. Non of us have killed a deer since 2015 but let tons of 31/2 year olds walk just never to see them again. There is just more and more pressure on them from every direction. Hope to see some of you guys out there soon.

Triple C

Well, I joined a club this last weekend. Not exactly what I was looking for, but maybe it will work out. Several members of Woody's are in the club and they sound like a great group of guys to hunt with. Also, close to CCC, so I will run into him occassionally and share stories. Lots of hogs on the property it appears, so maybe some additional shooting opportunities at pigs. Look forward to continued information sharing with all you OC hunters. Lets keep this thread fresh.

BD...Really excited to have you in the neighborhood. We'll have to break bread together a few times and have a beverage or 2 around the fire pit.

Buford_Dawg

Partner1, good luck finding a club. It is tough in OC to find available leases or clubs. Eventually, you will I am sure. I always got my ears open for opportunities.

Buford_Dawg

Looking for a dove hunt - Cant hunt on the 1st, gotta go watch the Dawgs play, but would like to hunt on Monday, Labor day. Anywhere in NE GA, preferably around Oglethorpe, Madison, Franklin, etc..... If you are aware of any hunts, I will pay, please yell at me.

Todd E

Even with temps/humidity, whenever I have a free evening I go watch for pigs. Sunday afternoon was no different. Three or four showed up. I picked out the biggest thinking it might be a boar. Got a 188lb sow. Had she been as big around as she was long, she'd been a porker. Others scattered.

Attachments

• 37218047_1925794804119078_7875815735518298112_n.jpg
    37218047_1925794804119078_7875815735518298112_n.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 37154007_1925794897452402_3131185081821954048_n.jpg
    37154007_1925794897452402_3131185081821954048_n.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 36

Buford_Dawg

WTG Todd, those things are everywhere now in OC. Never thought I would see it, but goodness, can they multiple quick.

partner1

There are tons of pigs in OC. We trapped them for years and always caught them every time we set the trap. I shot one with my new cross bow last year. 15 of them came by me and I shot the last one to come by. 150 lb. sow. Good eating at that size.

Buford_Dawg

Spent some time in OC this weekend, pressure washed and cleaned my camper and spent a great deal of foot time at my club, pulled my cards, nothing special showing up, but lots of hogs. Good to see fawns showing on cameras now, was worried for awhile. Meet up with AC and talked all kinds of stuff besides hunting, enjoyed it. It is getting closer guys.

Triple C

Spent the weekend at the farm. Glad to have BD in the club across the rd! He dropped by Friday evening for a fire-pit chat (no fire). Heard from CC Rider as well. He's a member in the club across the rd. He bush hogged for most of the afternoon on Saturday. I started bout daybreak bush hogging Saturday morn and finished up at daybreak this morn. Pulled cards and pleased to report that we prolly have more bucks than any previous year roaming around. Couple of good ones. With all the rain we've had this summer, the clover is off the charts good and lots of deer in pics using the clover. I'll post up a few pics later.

futbolwest

My son and I just joined a club on GA Hwy 22. We were told it had a good deer and turkey population with hogs seen on trail camera but no one has seen them in a deer stand or while turkey hunting.
So over the last few months a dead hog or multiple hogs (shot in the head) have been dumped right in front of our main gate. So I guess this means they were trapped somewhere else and shot in the head and removed from the trap. From the pictures I have seen they were not huge foul smelling boars but nice eating size hogs. We have put out cameras near the gate to gear the catch teh dumpers.
But why would someone dump them in front of our gate instead of using the meat or just leaving them on their own club?

Todd E

But why would someone dump them in front of our gate instead of using the meat or just leaving them on their own club?

Because people are lazy. Because some do not know how or want to clean them.
Because they just do not want to dump on their spot.

I removed 12 pigs from my trap Wednesday night. Gutted and skinned everyone of them. Properly disposed of all leftovers. If I have one I do not want, it is dumped in briars on property where it was killed. Permission is granted to do so.

Buford_Dawg

Have club workday in OC this weekend. Typical stuff, foodplot work, trimming roads and logging roads. Look forward to meeting up with some of the forum members as well. Looks like rain may hit at some point. Getting closer...

transfixer

Going this weekend to trim shooting lanes, do a little mowing. Camper goes down Labor day weekend. Get it set up before the 8th. It sure would be nice if we had weather like today on opening weekend !

jbird1

Going this weekend to trim shooting lanes, do a little mowing. Camper goes down Labor day weekend. Get it set up before the 8th. It sure would be nice if we had weather like today on opening weekend !

Sounds like a good time to me!...always a fun ride between now and Thanksgiving.