2018 Oglethorpe County Hunt Reports

Triple C

Gotta give a thumbs up to Firetower processing for the excellent sausage they made from my son's hog killed opening day of rifle season. About as good of sausage as I have ate.
Glad you like it and I agree...Took our 1st pig there last year for sausage and holy cow! Good stuff. We definitely gonna make it an annual gig to have them do sage sausage on a nice sow.

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

Well I guess one good thing is we haven't been seeing any hogs this year so i guess not putting any corn out has helped with that

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

Been hunting the last 3 days. This Morning has been slow with the rain but the last 2 days have been pretty good. Seeing lots of chasing and some decent bucks. One shooter was seen yesterday morning by a buddy, he was making a scrape and by the time he judged him thru the binos and seen he was a shooter he got his rifle up too late and only could see the bucks rear end as he walked off.
Good luck to everyone

benbishop6602

Hunted Philomath area for the past week. My first year back in O. C. . Saw some young bucks chasing. Saw several deer, but no shooters yet. What you guys seeing out there in OC so far ?. Hoping to see a improvement next week or thanksgiving weekend. G l out there.

Todd E

Shot an 184.4lb 8pt this eve. Hocks black as coal and oozing. He came in bumping a doe(who had fawns). Soon as the doe came into view, she had that tale tale fidgety stuck out tail deal going on. Joker smelt like a rank billy goat.

Hunt the does. Its prime time.

Buford_Dawg

Welcome JCAST. Always great to see new members show up to the OC Forum. I have been in the woods since Thursday, alot of wet weather and I am almost tired of wearing rainwear to the woods every sit, but when time is limited and the rut in near, you gotta make due. Came home yesterday to dry out and go to Athens to watch UGA play some football. Go Dawgs! I was very fortunate the last 4 days while I was in the woods. I took a nice sow hog and a nice wide 8 point buck. We had several other hogs taken in camp as well. My prediction of our camp having better luck on hogs this year is proving true, but we have also taken 2 really dandy bucks and 4 other deer of various size so far. And several coyotes. The buck I took was not with does, he came to a grunt sequence right after daylight on Saturday. I did have a spike come by me on Thursday AM grunting every step as he passed by, but there was not a doe in sight and had not been in the 3 hours prior to him walking by, so not sure what he was doing, other than practicing I guess :) I have heard from others hunting OC that chasing is happening right now, so better get in the woods.

Attachments

• IMG_1545.JPG
    IMG_1545.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1546.JPG
    IMG_1546.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 62

transfixer

We've had two eight pts taken so far this year, one last weekend, one yesterday, neither were anything special, neither were in rut either, hocks not dark, neck not swollen, all I'm seeing are small bucks so far this year, I know we had a couple nice ones last year that didn't get taken, don't know what happened to them, but no sign of them yet. I think they are just starting to chase on our lease.

Triple C

Spent the weekend in Gatlinburg with the better half during the peak of the chase phase. Kept up on here and thru txts from sons hunting at the farm. Lots of chasing. All got a pass. I'll be down late tomorrow afternoon for the rest of the week. Got a good friend from NE coming in for his annual slinging arrows trip and hoping to put him on a good buck this year.

transfixer

Supposed to be raining for most of this week, and according to long term forecast, also raining around thanksgiving, grrr! add to that our club and the adjacent club are dealing with loggers and skidders tearing up our main access road , going to make it interested just getting into our lease this weekend and next week. Been a while since I spent 3 or 4 days hunting in the rain, looks like it might be coming up.

Buford_Dawg

Supposed to be raining for most of this week, and according to long term forecast, also raining around thanksgiving, grrr! add to that our club and the adjacent club are dealing with loggers and skidders tearing up our main access road , going to make it interested just getting into our lease this weekend and next week. Been a while since I spent 3 or 4 days hunting in the rain, looks like it might be coming up.

I am really tired of all the rain right now. And as you say, both short and long term forecasts call for lots more. It doesnt bother the deer near as much as me however :mad:

jbird1

Well what a difference a week makes. As I was afraid of, the wide open chasing of the previous weekend didn't last to this past weekend. I wish I could have just kept hunting straight through last week. We still expect to see some sporadic chasing through Dec. but I think we will look back and say it was "on' that first weekend of November. I hunted with my 9 year old this weekend and we watched 2 different does with fawns feed through Sunday morning. He was really excited about the sightings but I think chopping trees with his ax and shooting .22 excited him the most. We'll be back at em next weekend. Good Hunting!!

transfixer

I'm off thru Thursday. I sat in the rain this afternoon and saw a good many deer. I think tomorrow I will wear my duck hunting waders, seriously.

I got a pair of muck boots last Christmas, haven't had an occasion to wear them till now, looks like I may need them over the next week or so. Also gotta remember where I stashed my army rain poncho, :unsure:

Steven037

Hunted through Sunday night. Got another really nice doe. Her and 4 other does were being chased by a nice 6. He was pushing them around grunting like crazy. Does didn’t seem ready but he sure was. Haven’t seen any of the nice bucks we have on camera yet but we’re hoping maybe they’ll start doing a little more moving during shooting hours this next weekend.