2018 Poult Report

Stonewall 2

Yes, yes, yes.

It is not predators, hunters, blackhead, chicken litter, or any of the other things that hunters like to mention.

The sky is not falling, but the rain is.

I know the rain is a problem but chicken litter is a problem as well. Our turkeys are rebounding after we quit fertilizing with litter 4 years ago. We started using litter when the price jumped on fertilizer and after a couple of years we started noticing a decline in our turkey population. I didn’t know what was going on until I read an article on blackhead disease.
I have a friend that hunts a farm in the same county as us and they have had the same problem unfortunately they didn’t figure it out until a couple of years ago and aren’t having the rebound in populations we have had yet.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Saw one poult by itself Sat - purdy sure mama was close by. Had a hen come through camp yelping and clucking her head off. Figured she had lost her nest to predators and was looking to have a late fling and re-nest. Got the below pic on the Covert this AM -can you find the 2 poults?

Attachments

• V__28E8 (1).jpg
    V__28E8 (1).jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 22

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Saw one poult by itself Sat - purdy sure mama was close by. Had a hen come through camp yelping and clucking her head off. Figured she had lost her nest to predators and was looking to have a late fling and re-nest. Got the below pic on the Covert this AM -can you find the 2 poults?
Yes I see them , maybe they are several more u can’t see !

wvdawg

Staff member
Saw two hens at camp this morning. One was crossing road with 4 poults in tow. The second appeared alone - hope she had some poults out of sight, but watched her for a few minutes and didn't see any.

bangbird

I saw a hen with 8 big poults Saturday. My buddy saw a group of hens with 20-25 poults on one farm I hunt. Then another hen with 4 and one with 5. Looks to be the best hatch we've had around here in 4 years.

Arrow3

Saw a hen in Lincoln County Sunday that had 8 with her.

Mark K

Banned
Worth Co...I’ve seen poults as big as a small chicken and just yesterday the manager where I hunt and trap saw a hen with 8 “chicks” about the size of your fist. He took a video and all you can see is the weeds moving, lol. Of course the hen was close by and clucking like crazy. Finding quail chicks as well. Seen some that could fly already and some the size of a chicken egg. Seems like a real good year so far.
Just a FYI...trapping works!! If everyone would by a dozen dog proof traps and come Dec.1 set them out even if just on the weekends you could really help your population. Take out 20-30 coons and there’s a great start. If you’re ever bored one weekend and just want to shoot something buy a crow call and take them out as well. If you want mote turkeys then give them some help!!

DRBugman85

Been to both leases sense Sunday and have seen 5 hens with 7-10 poults each,some chick size and some as tall as thier mom's and can fly. Found coyote tracks on 2 roads so the traper needs to get busy again. Hopefully most will make it but sure some want.?

Gut_Pile

Overall, seems like a good hatch so far.

This is good news!!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
In spite of more rain that we`ve had in years around here, we have an excellent hatch of turkeys and quail. The woods and fields are full of biddies.

armyvet4583

Didn't see any of the hens . However jumped atleast a dozen chicken size poults. Thursday in Macintosh co.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Saw a couple hens in my pasture yesterday with a good-sized swarm of poults about the size of quail.

turkeykirk

Have seen 4 hens this week . Only 1 had any poults and she had 1. That can’t be good.1AB0D992-A6AB-4AC1-9D53-8C697C4B28C2.jpeg