2019 Braves Chop On

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I would hope they make it a little bit further this year.

Coenen

Vegas set their win total at 84, we'll certainly see. The Nats, Mets and Phil's are all making moves, but big moves hardly guarantee big results. I think the Braves have the youth to improve from within without necessarily going out and making a splash.

dirtnap

Braves have to dismantle the bullpen and start over. They alone probably cost us 10 or 12 games last year.

Patriot44

Banned
I just refreshed my primary bucket of balls. XXXXXXXX has been an unbelievable source for quality 2nd hand rep balls. Picked up two dozen Sunday with barley a mark on them.

PatJr is upstairs getting gains on the treadmill. Have been one and two a weeks since August.

Let the boys of summer out da hizzle!

BornToHuntAndFish

Hoping the Braves have another good rebuilding season this year.

Chop, Chop, Chop.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Braves have to dismantle the bullpen and start over. They alone probably cost us 10 or 12 games last year.

Yep. It was the big black spot in the season last year. I'll bet they cost more than a dozen.

Coenen

We'll see. A lot of their better guys just seemed to get overworked late on in the season. Bullpen arms all seem to be flash in the pan guys anymore. You bring a guy up from the farm and he's lights out for a year or two, or find a guy on the scrap heap who mows them down for a season, then they disappear just as quickly.

toyota4x4h

I just refreshed my primary bucket of balls. XXXXXXXX has been an unbelievable source for quality 2nd hand rep balls. Picked up two dozen Sunday with barley a mark on them.

PatJr is upstairs getting gains on the treadmill. Have been one and two a weeks since August.

Let the boys of summer out da hizzle!

Save a few buckets ill buy em from ya ill be working with my son in a few years!

Meriwether Mike

Smoltz said that he is amazed by all the weight the young pitchers are lifting these days during their work outs. They train just to throw 100 mph, but have short careers. Smoltz said that he would have never lasted 14 years working out like they do know. The work outs he used was running and throwing from the mound. I saw this on the MLB network the other night.

Patriot44

Banned
Smoltz said that he is amazed by all the weight the young pitchers are lifting these days during their work outs. They train just to throw 100 mph, but have short careers. Smoltz said that he would have never lasted 14 years working out like they do know. The work outs he used was running and throwing from the mound. I saw this on the MLB network the other night.
Smoltzy is a wise man. I heeded his advice on travel ball too.

jbird1

Smoltzy is a wise man. I heeded his advice on travel ball too.

What did he say about travel ball? My 10 year old is starting his second season of "tournament baseball" as I like to call it since there are no shortage of tournaments to play in within driving distance. I hate what's happened to youth baseball...it's become an income stream for some.

Patriot44

Banned
What did he say about travel ball? My 10 year old is starting his second season of "tournament baseball" as I like to call it since there are no shortage of tournaments to play in within driving distance. I hate what's happened to youth baseball...it's become an income stream for some.
Agree and the other thing travel ball has done is watered down programs.

Smoltz is vehemently against year around baseball. Really urges kids to play multiple sports- in Cobb and surrounding counties, its not uncommon for 15 and 16 year olds to have Tommy Johns surgery.

Year before last, my son was 10/11 and played almost 70 baseball games. We were burned to a crisp. Last year we played spring rec and travel over the summer and took the fall off.

We trained all winter and practiced, but no baseball games. My son is now 12 and gung ho for baseball to get going again.

jbird1

I blew out my arm at 14, playing for the EC Astros....this was before Tommy John was popular I guess. It was never recommended to me, I was still able to play CF but no more mound work.

It's not too late to switch to rec for this season but like you said, the rec league has become watered down. The funny thing is that now I feel like the travel teams are watered down too. What a mess.

Patriot44

Banned
I blew out my arm at 14, playing for the EC Astros....this was before Tommy John was popular I guess. It was never recommended to me, I was still able to play CF but no more mound work.

It's not too late to switch to rec for this season but like you said, the rec league has become watered down. The funny thing is that now I feel like the travel teams are watered down too. What a mess.
They absolutely are. EC has 8, 11 year old travel teams. They can stack the deck on the top two or three teams at the expense of the parents banking accounts on teams 4-8.

toyota4x4h

I was burnt out before I was even 15. Played year round starting at tball age. Early on I loved it but later on it became work. With my son if he's even interested in it ill take Smoltz advice and limit his game time. We can practice at home anytime and run drills. I want it to still be fun for him at 18 and not a career or job or work.

jbird1

They absolutely are. EC has 8, 11 year old travel teams. They can stack the deck on the top two or three teams at the expense of the parents banking accounts on teams 4-8.

That's unbelievable.

You jogged my memory now about the FSS show about travel baseball. I took issue with Guerry Baldwin saying he never used a gun on anyone. Guess what...my arm blew when he was using a gun on me...I was trying to get that little bit extra on the fastball.

Coenen

That's unbelievable.

You jogged my memory now about the FSS show about travel baseball. I took issue with Guerry Baldwin saying he never used a gun on anyone. Guess what...my arm blew when he was using a gun on me...I was trying to get that little bit extra on the fastball.
Interesting that you mention that. Smoltz is also against the 100% effort on every pitch mentality. Too many "throwers" in today's game, and not enough pitchers.

BamaGeorgialine

I love to hear Smoltz and Glavine commentate. They bring up all the time that they wouldn't be the pitchers and have the careers they've had if they pitched today for the fact that pitchers aren't allowed to throw through tough situations. I hate to see a pitcher get yanked in the 5th inning with a guy on first and second with no outs. And most of the time haven't even thrown 65 pitches yet