2019 Colorado First Rifle Elk

treadwell

Then other option is to ask around town or call the outfitters association. They can give you names of locals that will pack out an elk for a fee. Used to be @150-$200 depending on how far. You keep there number and call them if you down an elk, get started quartering it and wait at the sight. Some may vary there methods, but you get the idea.

Limbhanger2881

Be careful if you boil the skull for a euro mount. They will fall out. I’ve found several sets in the bottom of the barrel.
What he said. They do not have roots like molars. It’s a single root and they will come out. Pop them out with a stick and glue them back in when done. You need to get all the meat off anyways.

jbogg

I somehow missed this when you originally posted. Way to go Herman! The fact that you did it solo is super impressive. That takes True Grit. First Mountain pig, Bear, and now Elk all in 12 months. Outstanding!

plumber_1969

Please be very careful when transporting the skull across state lines. There were several billboards in Mississippi and Alabama about CWD. It appears to be illegal to cross those states without the head being properly cared for.

GTHunter

Please be very careful when transporting the skull across state lines. There were several billboards in Mississippi and Alabama about CWD. It appears to be illegal to cross those states without the head being properly cared for.

This is correct. It is illegal to bring it into Georgia as well. You must remove all brain and spinal matter before leaving the state of Colorado.

Jason C

Congrats!!! that's AWESOME! That was supper nice of the fellow hunters to help you out....send them a bottle of whiskey...lol

Uptonongood

It’s an incredible trophy, for sure but I would Absolutely love to hear the daily blow by blow descri of this hunt. This is hard, basic hunting and I want hear about it. Incredible.

GTHunter

It’s an incredible trophy, for sure but I would Absolutely love to hear the daily blow by blow descri of this hunt. This is hard, basic hunting and I want hear about it. Incredible.

I've been working on it. I want to share the story before it is just a faint memory. Currently I'm over two pages of a Word document and I have not even gotten to the day it all went down. Be on the look out for the post some time soon.

Uptonongood

I've been working on it. I want to share the story before it is just a faint memory. Currently I'm over two pages of a Word document and I have not even gotten to the day it all went down. Be on the look out for the post some time soon.[/QUOTE

post it in chapters? Looking forward to it. Detailed hunting descriptions are more important to me than photos than game taken.it.