Sam Ehlinger (Texas, QB)
+2200
+3000
QB4
Justin Herbert (Oregon, QB)
+2200
+5500
QB8

Jake Fromm (+1600) is my favorite bet on the board for a few reasons -- he’s good, he plays for a great team in Georgia, and there’s some meat on the bone in terms of payout if it connects. Fromm finished as my QB3 when I ranked my Top 50 College Quarterbacks of 2019, only trailing the two guys I’m writing up next. However, Fromm is more than efficient enough to be in the mix heading into Championship weekend -- Fromm finished with the 10th best Total QBR sophomore season since 2004 -- so we’ll be looking really nice if we can get some positive touchdown variance. Also, Fromm’s Heisman odds don’t reflect just how good Georgia is. In fact, the betting markets give Georgia 11% implied odds to win the Natty, but Fromm’s implied odds of winning the Heisman are just 6%. That five percent difference is tied for largest among quarterbacks this year and that’s exactly what we should be aiming for knowing most Heisman winners play on elite teams.

Trevor Lawrence (+250) is chalk, but I’m willing to eat it. According to betting markets, Clemson has 34% implied odds of winning the National Championship this year, but Lawrence only has 29% implied odds of winning the Heisman. That’s some tasty +EV right there. As a freshman last year, Lawrence led the Clemson offense to 44 points per game -- that easily cleared the 41 points per game threshold I listed in the intro notes -- and the offense basically remains the same in 2019. However, I think some of Travis Etienne’s 24 rushing touchdowns from last year will turn into Lawrence passing touchdowns purely due to regression. Since Clemson has better odds of remaining undefeated heading into Heisman voting on December 3rd, I like Lawrence slightly more than Tua Tagovailoa for the Heisman.

However, Tua Tagovailoa (+250) is still a good bet. We all know Tua’s a stud, and we all know Alabama means business -- read Mark Lindquist’s column about the Alabama dynasty under Nick Saban -- but the reason I’ll eat these odds is because of the narratives we get with a Tua ticket. I think Tua will get the benefit of the doubt in 2019 if there are two deserving candidates because it’s his last chance at winning Heisman and because he arguably lost last year’s trophy due to injuries. These narratives matter whether we like it or not. Overall, I really like the favorites this year. I’d say there’s a 75-80% chance the Heisman Trophy Winner is either Trevor Lawrence, Tua Tagovailoa, or Jake Fromm. These quarterbacks and their teams are just too good for secondary candidates to surpass all three.

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 3500435e120f656abb168676c542018a.jpg
    3500435e120f656abb168676c542018a.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 19

TinKnocker

Considering the Heisman is a joke and a popularity contest, I will pick Lawrence. He is the poster child of NCAA football right now.

TinKnocker

I wouldn’t waste my money on Fromm. Swift, Herrien and Cook will be carrying the rock too much for Fromm to even be a finalist. As long as GA runs the ball 65% or more their best shot at having a finalist is a RB. Even then they rotate 3-4 guys so it’s more likely you’ll have multiple 1000 yard rushers and still no finalist.

I’m okay with all of that. It’s been a long time since a heisman winner won a natty. It’s a team sport and a heisman player doesn’t guarantee you a danged thing.

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
Lawrence, Hurts, Fromm, Swift, & Tua all have a shot at it.

But if Tua don't get it :
roll-tears-roll-11681159.png

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I wouldn’t waste my money on Fromm. Swift, Herrien and Cook will be carrying the rock too much for Fromm to even be a finalist. As long as GA runs the ball 65% or more their best shot at having a finalist is a RB. Even then they rotate 3-4 guys so it’s more likely you’ll have multiple 1000 yard rushers and still no finalist.

I’m okay with all of that. It’s been a long time since a heisman winner won a natty. It’s a team sport and a heisman player doesn’t guarantee you a danged thing.
Now here's a dog fan that can think straight. Fromm won't be able to put up the numbers. I do believe he matures into an above average QB this year though and leads the dawgs to another seccg. All bets are off after that.

TinKnocker

Now here's a dog fan that can think straight. Fromm won't be able to put up the numbers.

It is what it is. GA runs the ball too much. That said, Holloman, Cager, Bush, Landers, Blount, Robertson, Simmons, Blaylock, Pickens.............thats a MONSTER WR room. It's hard not to imagine Fromm not having more passing yards than previous years.

I do believe he matures into an above average QB this year though.

This is why I can't take you seriously. He had the #3 Total QBR in the nation in 2018. He's already "above average".

Here's a guy that should win it if he does what he's done the last 2 years. It used to be a given if a running back gained 2000 yards they'd get at least an invite. This kid barely gets mentioned.https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/4242335/jonathan-taylor

"Should get it" is a laugh these days. Ever since McCaffrey got hosed I couldn't care less who gets it anymore. It's a stained award at this point.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I agree mccaffery got screwed. I think zeke Elliot was more deserving than Henry was in 2015. Elliot is a more rounded back than Henry. He stays in to pass protect and is a good receiver out of the backfield. I'll get on the Fromm train soon if he does what he's projected to do. No worries

Matthew6

Banned thug
It is what it is. GA runs the ball too much. That said, Holloman, Cager, Bush, Landers, Blount, Robertson, Simmons, Blaylock, Pickens.............thats a MONSTER WR room. It's hard not to imagine Fromm not having more passing yards than previous years.

This is why I can't take you seriously. He had the #3 Total QBR in the nation in 2018. He's already "above average".

"Should get it" is a laugh these days. Ever since McCaffrey got hosed I couldn't care less who gets it anymore. It's a stained award at this point.

Stanford might win 4 games in the sec west with Mac.