2019 Oglethorpe County

Arrow3

I get off of work at 3:30 every day in Winterville. I can hunt the last good hour and a half nost days of light if I bust tail home. I'd been thinking about going all day yesterday till I was on my way home and the wind was totally wrong for my tripod where I killed the 7 pointer. I'm thinking another shooter is gonna show up looking at those does coming to feed in the evenings . Might go today if it's not raining hard when I get off .

jbird1

I get off of work at 3:30 every day in Winterville. I can hunt the last good hour and a half nost days of light if I bust tail home. I'd been thinking about going all day yesterday till I was on my way home and the wind was totally wrong for my tripod where I killed the 7 pointer. I'm thinking another shooter is gonna show up looking at those does coming to feed in the evenings . Might go today if it's not raining hard when I get off .

Is that your back yard stand? (thought I remembered you had one)

Arrow3

Is that your back yard stand? (thought I remembered you had one)
No sir. That property sold this year just before deer season started. I hated it bad.

Arrow3

@Arrow3 Rain is holding off until tonight. East wind this evening.
I can't hunt it on a straight east but I can on a northeast. Looks like it may switch to that by the time I can make it to the stand.

Arrow3

Wind was good...Bad thing about going in so late is I run deer out of the field.. Ran 8 out... Had 7 in the field when I left at dark. Only buck was a 3 inch spike giving the girls heck :D

Buford_Dawg

Great buck. I miss that clouds creek club some days. Some good bucks on it. Just viewed another strong buck on a tailgate that a buddy of mine took this AM in Glades area. Big heavy horned 9 point. I am sure he will post pictures soon.

Arrow3

Congratulations Revans and O2BHunting on a couple of nice bucks.

Buford_Dawg

Another splendid 4 days in the OC woods. Seen deer almost every hunt, got to view full blown chasing involving 2 or more bucks on 2 different occasions, including one chase with several really nice bucks. Had 3 bucks taken by our camp over the weekend, all taking during chasing activities. I had thought it was slowing down after last weekend, but this weekend was crazy good. Best I've seen in many years down there. We still have taken no does at camp, but I imagine some members will here soon. Also, you pretty much can not find a open deer processor in OC. I heard someone say Firetower may not open up again most of the season based on what they took in several weeks back. I picked up a buck at Greg's this afternoon on the way home and they are not taking any until at least mid week. And after the shooting I heard again Saturday and Sunday AM's, more and more are hitting the ground. Get in the woods right now if you can.

jbird1

Great OC bucks, fellas!

We had a great weekend in the woods although the report is a 180 of Buford Dawgs. We saw a couple of deer here and there but the woods in our part of the county were pretty much dead. I think our deer were on lockdown. I also heard very few shots all weekend. Some years we're still going good on this weekend but most times ours has ended in large part by 17th. The GON rut map has a pretty good handle on it too. The line between the 9th and 15th rut peaks runs right through the county. Ours in the NE happens slightly earlier than central and Western Oglethorpe's does. We're probably done hunting until after Thanksgiving. I'd love the get out there first week of December but we'll see. Good hunting and GO DAWGS!

Triple C

Also, you pretty much can not find a open deer processor in OC. I heard someone say Firetower may not open up again most of the season based on what they took in several weeks back. I picked up a buck at Greg's this afternoon on the way home and they are not taking any until at least mid week.

BD - Dropped by Firetower Saturday mid-morning to check on my jerky/summer sausage and you're right...no more deer until further notice. Good indication of a healthy deer herd or too many deer being killed. Lot of deer hit the ground over the past 2 weeks.

transfixer

BD - Dropped by Firetower Saturday mid-morning to check on my jerky/summer sausage and you're right...no more deer until further notice. Good indication of a healthy deer herd or too many deer being killed. Lot of deer hit the ground over the past 2 weeks.

I'd be curious as to the numbers of does turned in versus bucks ? our county is one of the hardest hunted in the piedmont I believe, lets just hope its not too many being killed , especially too many does.

Buford_Dawg

I'd be curious as to the numbers of does turned in versus bucks ? our county is one of the hardest hunted in the piedmont I believe, .lets just hope its not too many being killed , especially too many does.
I heard it was about 75% bucks the first doe weekend. Supposedly, FT took in over 400 deer that first doe saturday, crazy. That is rumor I heard at Sandy cross cafe.

Todd E

Game Check shows OC at 1594 total.
77 buttons
283 less than 4 per side
576 4 or more per side
658 does

**checked as posting this**