2019 Oglethorpe County

Buford_Dawg

OK, fellow OC deer hunters. Time to chime in on our yearly "How was your deer season" question. Tell us how your season went and what shape you feel your deer population is right now.

I will start off. As you know, I lost my main lease last year, so I scrambled and fortunately was able to get into a couple of leases in other areas of OC. So, I spent time on 3 different areas around the county, Sandy Cross, Glades and Palmetto ( I think that is what they call it). I saw 80 deer from a stand, which is about 50 less than last year, so my sightings were way down. BUT like I said I was hunting new properties and not familiar with them at all, so that had alot to do with it. I feel like 2 of my properties have a average to good deer population and one way below average (way to many hogs). I could not have asked for a better harvest as I was able to take 5 hogs and 1 120 inch class buck. I took hogs on 2 different properties, but they were on the other property as well, those things are everywhere now. No does taken, didn't have a need with all the other meat. I must say it was a great year overall, got to meet some new hunting friends and spend time with others on this forum. Looking forward to hearing from the rest of you guys.

transfixer

My season was okay, wasn't what I had hoped for, we're still working on getting the population back up in our area, we have hogs but they come and go, I saw a good many deer this season, but no decent bucks, wasn't able to hunt after thanksgiving due to loggers tearing up our roads and the amount of rain we had, I did manage to hunt the very last weekend of the season, and put a small buck in the freezer. Overall we didn't take many off of our lease this season, I'm hoping it will show up as an improvement next season, loggers will be coming back this summer, so we'll have to wait and see what they do to the land and the roads.

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

Had a good year. Killed my largest buck to date. Saw a few other really good bucks. Killed 2 does toward the end of the year to fill the freezer. Saw lots of turkeys and zero hogs! We did not put corn out. Over all population is probably about the same as last few years.

jbird1

We had a good season on our place overall. The woods were full of deer/turkey/hogs. Several good buck's were seen and a couple were taken. It's getting harder and harder to carve out time with 3 kids into youth sports pretty heavy. We are down to 3 weekends for deer season and hopefully a turkey weekend. It isn't much but really makes you appreciate and savor those weekends even more. I do more guiding than hunting with the boys. Just getting into camp and passing on the ways of the woods has been rewarding.

The camp is evolving and this year we implemented an apple device to stream the Dawgs games. It still needs some tweaking but sure beats trying to get a signal with rabbit ears from our primitive camp. I think a good time was had by all and am looking forward to an offseason trip here soon.

Buford_Dawg

Brandon, my buddy Bubba may be calling you about a coon hunt. FYI..... He had lost your number and I gave it to him earlier this week.

Arrow3

Brandon, my buddy Bubba may be calling you about a coon hunt. FYI..... He had lost your number and I gave it to him earlier this week.
That's fine. I like ole Bubba and Blake. I'm not sure if I'll have any free weekend time this close to turkey season though.

Buford_Dawg

Well finally got back down to OC and had a outstanding end of season rabbit hunt with fellow member Triple C and several other fine persons whom I known for years. Races were just terrific, one of the best rabbit hunts I have ever got the chance to participate on. Weather was a little damp on us, but that didn't stop us from having alot of fun. Too bad small game season and deer season seem to conflict now that deer season is extended. Really cuts into the rabbit hunters time in the field.

1551011045984.png

Triple C

Well finally got back down to OC and had a outstanding end of season rabbit hunt with fellow member Triple C and several other fine persons whom I known for years. Races were just terrific, one of the best rabbit hunts I have ever got the chance to participate on. Weather was a little damp on us, but that didn't stop us from having alot of fun. Too bad small game season and deer season seem to conflict now that deer season is extended. Really cuts into the rabbit hunters time in the field.

View attachment 960156
Somebody start a petition to bring back the December break and end deer season Jan 1st in the northern zone. Personally, I much preferred to old season. :deadhorse::popknot: #oldschool

Arrow3

View attachment 960156
Dag gum . My invite must have got lost in the mail ????

Fine rabbit hunt gentlemen. Glad yall could close out the season on such a good note!!