2019 Oglethorpe County

Todd E

Taking my best bud down in the AM to try and get him a bird. I'll let y'all know how it goes!

I'm going back to the dirt road deck first thing.
Then I'm going to pull two hogs outta trap.
I'm not expecting much on the turkey hunt. But, only way to know is to be there.

Arrow3

That's a great pig stalk right there. I'd lit that brindle pig up with some no.5s.
I'm low on turkey shells and I goto Kentucky soon. Couldn't waste my dynamite sticks on them ole hogs. ???

I carry some "hog" shells normally but I hat ditched the vest because i had gotten hot.

jbird1

Was able to sneak away yesterday and try and call one in for my 16 yr old due to an early return from Spring Break trip....one shot only kinda deal. The woods were silent and we burned up some shoe leather (maybe 3-4 miles of hilly terrain.) The woods were pretty with some fresh redbud and honeysuckle blooms littering the ground from the rain. We didn't find much turkey sign but did find what seemed to be some bear sign??? Has anyone seen any bears in OC? There were 2 holes dug in the ground going diagonally towards a center point roughly the size of a bear paw...almost like they were after a rodent. They were apporx. 1.5-2 2ft deep. I could make out 4 claw markings that did not splay with 1.5 inch between individual claws marks. These were not dog prints and the amount of hardpack earth moved was impressive. Sign was relatively fresh. Anyway, true to crazy bird form, as we were coming back into camp, there were several hens feeding in front of an old camper that scattered. Miles walked and they were hanging out in camp! I just had to shake my head and laugh. I have found a nest in camp before as well so they must feel secure there. These birds yesterday were scratching under water oaks. Good luck to everyone who gets to keep chasin' 'em!

Todd E

That same ol gobbling freak gobbled 100 times this morning. I was leaned into tree at 615am. I finally got him in front of me, all blowed up, at HIGH NOON. 5 hours worth of trying to seduce him.

I missed. LoL. I dad gum missed him.

In eighteen minutes, he was right back gobbling. SMH
#latelunchumblepie

Arrow3

That same ol gobbling freak gobbled 100 times this morning. I was leaned into tree at 615am. I finally got him in front of me, all blowed up, at HIGH NOON. 5 hours worth of trying to seduce him.

I missed. LoL. I dad gum missed him.

In eighteen minutes, he was right back gobbling. SMH
#latelunchumblepie
Man that hurts I know, been there. At least he went back to gobbling. You'll get him!

Triple C

Was able to sneak away yesterday and try and call one in for my 16 yr old due to an early return from Spring Break trip....one shot only kinda deal. The woods were silent and we burned up some shoe leather (maybe 3-4 miles of hilly terrain.) The woods were pretty with some fresh redbud and honeysuckle blooms littering the ground from the rain. We didn't find much turkey sign but did find what seemed to be some bear sign??? Has anyone seen any bears in OC? There were 2 holes dug in the ground going diagonally towards a center point roughly the size of a bear paw...almost like they were after a rodent. They were apporx. 1.5-2 2ft deep. I could make out 4 claw markings that did not splay with 1.5 inch between individual claws marks. These were not dog prints and the amount of hardpack earth moved was impressive. Sign was relatively fresh. Anyway, true to crazy bird form, as we were coming back into camp, there were several hens feeding in front of an old camper that scattered. Miles walked and they were hanging out in camp! I just had to shake my head and laugh. I have found a nest in camp before as well so they must feel secure there. These birds yesterday were scratching under water oaks. Good luck to everyone who gets to keep chasin' 'em!

Anybody run across any bears please post. Kind of selfish on my part but not a big fan of bears moving in. Hate to see what's gonna happen to our fruit trees if n when bears show up.

Congrats to all you boys getting it done on the long beards this year! And Brandon, your videos are the real deal!

Buford_Dawg

I am about done with the birds. Hunted hard Friday afternoon at one spot and then hit another Saturday AM. Heard a couple on the AM hunt off the property along ways. I think we are gonna plant some summer plots in a couple weeks and then start fishing. I generally have better luck with the rod and reel this time of year.

jbird1

Anybody run across any bears please post. Kind of selfish on my part but not a big fan of bears moving in. Hate to see what's gonna happen to our fruit trees if n when bears show up.

I'm no bear expert by any means but I'm fairly certain that young males can disperse this time of year and move through on occasion. I don't believe we're in any danger of breeding population any time soon. This dig site was on top of a ridge in mixed timber. To get through that ground and those root systems took some real power....brute force kinda power only something like a bear could mange. I snapped a couple of pics but am not puter savy enough to post. I got lucky with the avatar pic when I got that to post way back when. I had 2 cameras in the vicinity of that sign but the batteries died in January. It would have been nice to get a mugshot of ol smokey!

Todd E

Bears have moved through here while dispersing. I don't feel there is anything to worry about. But, if they don't get them under control in NGA.....more will move in. My cousins in HabCo, hate the things.

Todd E

Man that hurts I know, been there. At least he went back to gobbling. You'll get him!

6 hours in lounger on am hunt. 4 hours in evening. I had a red head in front of me(at same location) out of range. He came in at 710pm. I had went solely with the trumpet call every thirty minutes. He came in nervous as all get out. Surveying. Alert. Slowly fanned him and he ran. LoL.

Oh well. Fun day.

revans4661

I saw a bear 2 yrs ago. It was chasing a small doe. Shocked me! I am by the quarry on Turner Hill rd. My last turkey hunt was an exciting one to say the least. I was blind calling, could hear some noise but far away. I was sitting on the ground in the pines. I shifted my position and turned my head and all heck broke loose! 3 Tom's had snuck up right behind me and when I moved they went nuts! I'm not sure who was more shocked by the encounter. They were not 10 yards away. 2 flew over my shoulder and one decided to run. I just reacted and laid him down. I had to sit there for a few and let the experience sink in...

Buford_Dawg

I saw a bear 2 yrs ago. It was chasing a small doe. Shocked me! I am by the quarry on Turner Hill rd. My last turkey hunt was an exciting one to say the least. I was blind calling, could hear some noise but far away. I was sitting on the ground in the pines. I shifted my position and turned my head and all heck broke loose! 3 Tom's had snuck up right behind me and when I moved they went nuts! I'm not sure who was more shocked by the encounter. They were not 10 yards away. 2 flew over my shoulder and one decided to run. I just reacted and laid him down. I had to sit there for a few and let the experience sink in...

Congrats again on the turkey Rick. Been close a couple times, just not close enough.