2019 Poult Report

goblr77

Saw two different hens last week without poults. Both were in the middle of large fields so the poults would've been visible.

Not that I ever thought that they all nested at precisely the same time, but the degree to which the clutches are spaced and scattered in time is somewhat surprising to me. At least some of them are probably the result of re-nesting after losing an earlier nest.

Echo

Been seeing two hens passing through the back field several times over the last week in Morgan County. Sorry to say not a poult in sight.

Mark K

Been seeing two hens passing through the back field several times over the last week in Morgan County. Sorry to say not a poult in sight.
Don’t feel bad, I see a hen every day by herself. I believe there are some hens that don’t breed for whatever reason. She’s in the same area every year and I’ve yet to see her with poults. It’s not a lack of food, cover, critters, or gobblers either. I think her only job in life is to lead Gobblers away from me!!!

Went to my club yesterday. As I drove in there were 8 poults and 2 hens in the peanut field. In the back there was a hen with (I believe) a couple of poults.

Went back out late this morning and as I came into the peanut field there were poults everywhere. Wife and I sat and looked at them through our binoculars about 50-75 yards away.

Eventually the hens gathered up the little ones and herded them towards the edge of the field. Wife and I counted 23 or 24 total turkeys in the group. Were 4 hens. The rest were poults.

Were more poults in the peanut field on the back of the property as well.

Got me kinda exited (should at least have a jake or two next season).

Mark K

Going along with what I posted the other day about some hens just don’t lay.
Watched 4 Gobblers (one sho’nuff STUD) and a hen this evening. Seen them a couple other times this Summer. Got a closer view this evening.
That’s 4 Gobblers and 5 jakes I’ve seen after season. Hopefully they’ll survive and we’ll have a good season next year as well.

Echo

Two hens observed this afternoon in Morgan county. One by herself and the other with one good sized poult in tow. I was proud to see one!

Also spoke with a very reliable neighbor who saw a hen and six poults cross a nearby road last week.

Conditions were sure right for a good hatch and good early poult survival. Less rain than last year but enough for insect hatches. If it proves to be so, even with last year`s heavy rains, that would be two back to back good hatch years, I believe. I`m pretty sure last year was considered "good" by the biologists.

Sad to say but down here in the Panhandle of FL have not seen the first poult this year.....not sure why