2019 Poult Report

goblr77

Saw two different hens last week without poults. Both were in the middle of large fields so the poults would've been visible.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Seen a hen last week in pine mountain with a nice hatch , at least 10 , seen 2 hens together today that had around 10 between them , the chicks were 2 different sizes , some of them only looked a couple weeks old !AE4C83A1-F881-4F8F-B25A-EB12AA841F3C.jpeg

Turkeytider

Not that I ever thought that they all nested at precisely the same time, but the degree to which the clutches are spaced and scattered in time is somewhat surprising to me. At least some of them are probably the result of re-nesting after losing an earlier nest.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Seen 2 hens together with 5 poults today in Troup , about like a pheasant also

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
Been seeing two hens passing through the back field several times over the last week in Morgan County. Sorry to say not a poult in sight.

Mark K

Banned
Been seeing two hens passing through the back field several times over the last week in Morgan County. Sorry to say not a poult in sight.

Don’t feel bad, I see a hen every day by herself. I believe there are some hens that don’t breed for whatever reason. She’s in the same area every year and I’ve yet to see her with poults. It’s not a lack of food, cover, critters, or gobblers either. I think her only job in life is to lead Gobblers away from me!!!

Bubba_1122

Went to my club yesterday. As I drove in there were 8 poults and 2 hens in the peanut field. In the back there was a hen with (I believe) a couple of poults.

Went back out late this morning and as I came into the peanut field there were poults everywhere. Wife and I sat and looked at them through our binoculars about 50-75 yards away.

Eventually the hens gathered up the little ones and herded them towards the edge of the field. Wife and I counted 23 or 24 total turkeys in the group. Were 4 hens. The rest were poults.

Were more poults in the peanut field on the back of the property as well.

Got me kinda exited (should at least have a jake or two next season).

Mark K

Banned
Going along with what I posted the other day about some hens just don’t lay.
Watched 4 Gobblers (one sho’nuff STUD) and a hen this evening. Seen them a couple other times this Summer. Got a closer view this evening.
That’s 4 Gobblers and 5 jakes I’ve seen after season. Hopefully they’ll survive and we’ll have a good season next year as well.

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
Two hens observed this afternoon in Morgan county. One by herself and the other with one good sized poult in tow. I was proud to see one!

Also spoke with a very reliable neighbor who saw a hen and six poults cross a nearby road last week.

buckpasser

All this week:

2 hens, 8 3/4 grown poults Brooks County
1 hen, 2 quail size poults Brooks County
3 hens, 15-20 1/2 grown poults Thomas County

Turkeytider

Conditions were sure right for a good hatch and good early poult survival. Less rain than last year but enough for insect hatches. If it proves to be so, even with last year`s heavy rains, that would be two back to back good hatch years, I believe. I`m pretty sure last year was considered "good" by the biologists.

buckpasser

Me too.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Sad to say but down here in the Panhandle of FL have not seen the first poult this year.....not sure why

Mark K

Banned
Sad to say but down here in the Panhandle of FL have not seen the first poult this year.....not sure why
All you have to do is get on here next Spring and talk about how you have no turkeys and they need to close the seasons or either allow in one turkey per hunter every decade and POOF everyone kills birds and has poults that very Spring!!

Wayne D Davis

Went to pull my cam card and saw 1 hen and 5 poults
Then as I started driving home I saw what looked like 30 + poults with several adult birds. The same field was a group of Toms...about 8 maybe more. Paulding/Polk County Line