209 primer keeps falling out. What's the deal?

Thread starter #1
I have a CVA in-line muzzleloader. My primer keeps falling out. I'm afraid that when I'm out in the field in a month that's going to happen when I'm looking down the barrel at a deer. Shouldn't it wedge itself in there?

K80Shooter

You do not state which manufacturer of primer you have, could be just a cheap knock off of the 209 primer or a worn part on a well used gun. Just a dot of nail polish on the primer may get you by until you get it corrected.

Post a picture of your gun, the primer and the primer holder - then maybe we can figure it out.

markland

They typically have a spring retention system on them to hold the primer in place, maybe spring is missing or broken?

Deerhead

Depending on which model you might need to simply order a new breach plug. They are only $15 and you can order directly from CVA

Mine does not have a spring. It is held in place by the bolt and the primer sits in a plastic disc with a small projection on the side(which makes removal of the primer and disc easy).

rhbama3

Administrator
Really can't comment without a make, model, and hopefully an up close pic.

rosewood

Depending on which model you might need to simply order a new breach plug. They are only $15 and you can order directly from CVA
CVA has a lifetime warranty, if the primer is falling out, wouldn't they replace it under warranty?

Rosewood