Ruger mk2 gov w/h Nikon 2x------The most accurate
Browning buckmark w/h Nikon 2x
Ruger Charger w/h Bushnell 2x
Ruger Charger TD w/h 2x burris
S&W 17
Ruger single six 3screw 4 5/8"
Ruger single six 3screw 6"

GunnSmokeer

I had a T/C contender in .22LR, and while it was very accurate, I'm not a fan of the single-shot break open platform, unless you NEED that kind of action to house a big rifle caliber cartridge.

I vote for a Browning Buck Mark that has a Weaver scope base or rail.

My Buck Mark doesn't have such a rail, and I use it with iron sights only, but I've seen "Hunter" models of the Browning that do have a scope base ready to go, from the factory.

THE TRIGGER on a Buck Mark is light and crisp, unlike a factory standard Ruger MK III or MK IV series pistol.

jigman29

Ive had mark 2 and Buckmarks and love them both. The buckmark is my pic for two reasons. The grips feel better to me than the rger and they are easier to remove the barrel for cleaning. But either one are deadly accurate.

jmoser

http://www.jackweigand.com/rsswms.html

No drill base for the Single Six; a great option.

But as for autos a Buckmark is fantastic and affordable; many models come with a rail but accessory rails are abundant and inexpensive.

I own 3 41s but am not taking those squirrel hunting . . .

Darkhorse

My Ruger stainless Single six convertible with 6" barrel is my pick. I bought it to closely match my Super Blackhawk with a 7.5 inch barrel.
The Ruger is very easy to improve the trigger pull. This pistol will put them all in the same hole if I do my part. Even though I'm 65 I still use the open sights, just use a little blaze orange fingernail polish on the front sight. But my eyesight continues to worsen with age, and when I can no longer focus on that front sight I will go with optics.

carver

I shoot a Colt Buntline New frontier single action 71/2"

Dr. Strangelove

Ruger Mark series for semi-autos. I used to regularly knock all six of the descending in size 50yd steel plates with Mark II from standing. The last one was about an inch in diameter.

jigman29 said:
Ive had mark 2 and Buckmarks and love them both. The buckmark is my pic for two reasons. The grips feel better to me than the rger and they are easier to remove the barrel for cleaning. But either one are deadly accurate.

I had Hogue grips on my Mark II, I didn't care for the factory plastic grips either, I believe they put those on them knowing that you will replace them with whatever you prefer.

jmoser

Kel tec pmr 30 , it’s a 22 mag weighs 1.3 lbs loaded and as accurate as you can shoot

The reviews I saw were not complimentary on accuracy - What ammo do you use and how do you measure accuracy?

If this can really hold 1" at 50 ft off a rest then its more interesting.

Timbo85

I’m shooting cci jhp’s 40 gr. And Winchester varmint hv 30 gr. It’s shooting 2” groups at 40 yrds consistently some times better some times worse , and about the same out to 60 with both the cci and Winchester can’t tell much if any difference , I read a lot of reviews as well that said it was not accurate and a few other problems with them which is not the case with mine , never had any problems with it other than having to buy bullets for it is like feedin a horse, that thing likes to eat

Timbo85

I will add that this is only the second hand gun I have ever owned the first was a rough rider with the lr and mag cylinders i was not as consistent with it but never had any problems with it either

B. White

I bought a s&w victory on sale a while back. I've put a few hundred through it with no issues. I'd have no problems popping a squirell with it. My wife does not shoot it well yet. She acts like she is expecting recoil and needs to shoot it more. It does take some concentration on my part. I've mixed in a few rounds when shooting other calibers to reduce the amount of reloads and still get practice in.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Ruger MKIII .22/45.

Papa Bear

Lot of good .22's mentioned. I really like my Berretta Neos with 6 in barrel. Really accurate, and has rail for scope if you want. Have a lot of fun plinking and at the range with mine.

panhead501

I have been a collector of .22 handguns for 40 years or so and I also shoot them a lot. I have most of the guns mentioned in comments so far as well as several others. The S&W model 41 is a great pistol and very accurate. Hard to buy new and very pricey. I have some old High Standard pistols that shoot just as well in my opinion as well as a browning medalist. Last year I bought a Ruger Mark IV hunter model and after shooting it side by side with some of the high dollar guns, I found it shoots just as well. It comes ready to mount a scope and is reasonably priced. I recommend checking around at stores that have a good selection and find a gun that fits your hand and feels good to you. Select a good scope, not the $9.95 special and most of the handguns mentioned in the comments will serve you well for squirrel hunting...

Win1917

1) Anschutz Exemplar
2) Contender
3) High Standard, have seen some with aftermarket barrels that really shot too