22 LR or 22 MAG or .380 for selfdefense?

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hornday make a 22 Mag round called, Critical Defense. It utilizes a 45 Gr round. I keep 20 of them in my Keltec.

sbroadwell

I intended for a long time to buy a pocket sized 380, first a Kel Tec, then an LCP. Good thing I waited, though. When I finally got ready to buy the gun, the Ruger LC9 had come out. Like said in the post above, it's a very little bit bigger than the LCP, and goes right into a pocket. These days, there are so many 9mm pocket guns out there, I couldn't see buying a .380. Plus, ammo is a lot cheaper.
Every week, I go out in the yard and put at least two magazines through it, just to keep in practice. As a side note, with well over 1500 rounds through it, never had the first failure.

Reactions: Dub

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I intended for a long time to buy a pocket sized 380, first a Kel Tec, then an LCP. Good thing I waited, though. When I finally got ready to buy the gun, the Ruger LC9 had come out. Like said in the post above, it's a very little bit bigger than the LCP, and goes right into a pocket. These days, there are so many 9mm pocket guns out there, I couldn't see buying a .380. Plus, ammo is a lot cheaper.
Every week, I go out in the yard and put at least two magazines through it, just to keep in practice. As a side note, with well over 1500 rounds through it, never had the first failure.
I have worn my LC9 walking down the beach at night in swimming trunks and a tshirt with an Uncle Mike's neoprene IWB holster. The trigger is a little heavy, but it's accurate as heck for a small pistol. The newer LC9S has a great trigger, I might trade for one pretty soon.

Reactions: Dub

Robert28

Watch the video where the guy is robbing the liquor store and the woman shoots him repeatedly with her little revolver until she runs out of ammo and he keeps coming and takes it away from her and starts hitting her over the head with it. If not for her daughter starting shooting him with another little cute gun, she would be dead, even after her shooting the guy over and over. In real life, people don't usually fall over dramatically dead when they're shot. This guy was just getting madder. And he still grabbed more stuff and got away after those two women both unloaded on him. If you think a couple small-caliber bullets are enough to stop most confrontations where someone is trying to kill you, you don't value your life as much as I do.

As for concealment and light summer clothing, I can and do easily conceal a Glock 23 .40 every day IWB in shorts and a t-shirt. If I have to go smaller, I have a Ruger LC9 loaded with +Ps. It's only a tiny bit bigger than an LCP, but packs a lot more juice.
That video made me want to start carrying a 50AE Desert Eagle! I’ll find a way to conceal it! The scary thing is where I live meth is real bad, ever seen someone needing a meth fix or hopped up on meth? You talk about scary, unless you knock that person off their feet they will get you even with their body full of holes.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That video made me want to start carrying a 50AE Desert Eagle! I’ll find a way to conceal it! The scary thing is where I live meth is real bad, ever seen someone needing a meth fix or hopped up on meth? You talk about scary, unless you knock that person off their feet they will get you even with their body full of holes.
And PCP is about 1000x worse.

Hillbilly stalker

Those rounds are what we call “belly guns”. You put it in their belly and empty the cylinder or clip while looking for an escape route. If you watch the shooting of Trooper Mark Coates in South Carolina in Orangeburg, you will see why. Suspect took Trp. Coates life with a NAA .22 mag and he (suspect) survived while taking several hot 357 rounds. There are no certainties when bullets meet flesh.

rosewood

Those rounds are what we call “belly guns”. You put it in their belly and empty the cylinder or clip while looking for an escape route. If you watch the shooting of Trooper Mark Coates in South Carolina in Orangeburg, you will see why. Suspect took Trp. Coates life with a NAA .22 mag and he (suspect) survived while taking several hot 357 rounds. There are no certainties when bullets meet flesh.
I have seen that one. Tragic for sure.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I carry the S&W Bodyguard regularly along with an extra magazine. Not the perfect defense weapon but sufficient in a bad situation. Either of the three is better than a 9MM in the night stand or truck.