.243 deer round suggestions

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I've shot nothing but Remington Core-Lokt / 100-Grain bullets in my Remington Model 7, for 34 years. Killed plenty of nice deer, and some very large hogs with it during this time. Most of my shots are less than a hundred yards, but I have certainly killed a few over that. I simply do not like to take too long of a shot, as the risk of wounding and losing an animal goes up. I'd rather wait and hunt that animal a another day, and hopefully get a better, much closer shot. And I can honestly say, nearly every deer and hog I have shot, dropped dead in it's tracks. And considering most of my shots are less than a hundred yards, I get a complete pass through nearly every shot. I love my .243 and Cor-Lokt combo!

243 is an expert's round. It's not the bullet, it's the shot placement. If the shot placement is the neck, they're either drop right there or you're not gonna find it.

I beg to differ. My son has been dropping deer in their tracks with behind the shoulder shots since he was 9 years old using cheap Remington Core-Lokts. The .243 is hardly an "experts" round.
Dropping is usually taken to mean that the animal collapsed on the spot and did not move away.

kmckinnie

Patrolling The Halls At Night
I think any of them rounds in the chest on a broad side deer. I would lean toward the heavier rounds. Our grandkids shoot one. 100 grain corelot

sleepr71

Ive hunted a lot with .243’s and my vote goes to Barnes TSX,or Nosler Partitions. I’ve found that after 200 yds I don’t get pass-thru,or a decent blood trail..other than with those two rounds.I’m sure there are other premium bullets that’ll work...but I KNOW those will work...every time.

I beg to differ. My son has been dropping deer in their tracks with behind the shoulder shots since he was 9 years old using cheap Remington Core-Lokts. The .243 is hardly an "experts" round.
Amen and amen. Winchester 100 gr Power Points for the win. I lost count of how many deer I've killed with those in a Remington Model 7. .243 is an outstanding starter caliber for a young 'un just getting started. Fast, flat trajectory, good terminal ballistics, easy to handle recoil. It's hard to beat.

catch22

100gr cor lokts
95 federal fusion

b rad

Amen and amen. Winchester 100 gr Power Points for the win. I lost count of how many deer I've killed with those in a Remington Model 7. .243 is an outstanding starter caliber for a young 'un just getting started. Fast, flat trajectory, good terminal ballistics, easy to handle recoil. It's hard to beat.
idk why but my 243 savage axis 2 has bad recoil for a 243

Thread starter #36
Thanks everyone. I ended up going with the Hornady 100-grains American Whitetail. Seems like a similar concept to the Nosler Partition (good mix of expansion and penetration) that several of you recommended, but half the price of a Nosler. Hornady makes good products so I'm satisfied with the purchase. Hopefully I can report back in 5-months with success! (y)(y)(y)

biggdogg

The American Whitetail bullets are fantastic as well. My daughter uses them in her 7mm-08.

biggdogg

idk why but my 243 savage axis 2 has bad recoil for a 243
If I had to guess, it has to do with the extremely narrow butt on the stock of those rifles. I've picked up a few of the Axis rifles and the stock just doesn't feel comfortable to me.

i don't understand why everyone keeps saying starter rifle
I been deer hunting for almost 20 years and hunted with calibers from 22 hornet up to 300 mag and I've settled with the 243 for last 5 or 6 years and I seen no reason to change. I have been wanting a ruger 44 mag for a couple of spots i hunt but the 243 is fine as they come for all game around here.