25 HP Johnson

Dialer

Contemplating the purchase of a used boat. It’s a 16 foot aluminum “Bass Attacker” rigged for fishing. Like new condition, with all the bells and whistles. My question is will the 25 HP 2 stroke Johnson on the back push it fast enough? Looks small in comparison to the boat itself. I’m not looking to set any speed records, but don’t want to look foolish either! Advice and opinions needed...

KingTiger

I have a 28 HP Johnson 2-stroke on a 15' Smoker Craft (aluminum, flat bottom).
Top speed is about 25 mph.

ribber

Contemplating the purchase of a used boat. It’s a 16 foot aluminum “Bass Attacker” rigged for fishing. Like new condition, with all the bells and whistles. My question is will the 25 HP 2 stroke Johnson on the back push it fast enough? Looks small in comparison to the boat itself. I’m not looking to set any speed records, but don’t want to look foolish either! Advice and opinions needed...
I had a 25 hp Evinrude on a 16 ft Grumman back in the 90s. It pushed it fine. Mid 20s.
If you load it down (3 men, full coolers, etc.) it will struggle to plane.

Dialer

Well, I bought the boat this morning full advertised amount ($3000), counted the money out myself to him. Took the boat home, then left for work. A few hours later, he showed up at my house and gives my wife $150, saying I overpaid him, so I guess I paid 2,850. Very nice gentleman to do business with.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Well, I bought the boat this morning full advertised amount ($3000), counted the money out myself to him. Took the boat home, then left for work. A few hours later, he showed up at my house and gives my wife $150, saying I overpaid him, so I guess I paid 2,850. Very nice gentleman to do business with.

Gives us a picture, I love pictures of boats.

Had a 25 johnson on a 14' fiberglass bomber style hull, stick steer in the mid 70s. It ran good. At least 22-23 mph.

Cmp1

BANNED
I've got a 4 stroke 25 hp,14 ft for sale,,,,

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
If you do your homework and pay attention to your high rpm’s you may can change the prop to a different pitch for more speed or more torque.
You’ll gain top end or bottom end just don’t blow it up by changing to far up from original recommend pitch.
Higher the pitch the faster but you can blow it up with spinning to many rpms.
Lower the pitch the slower you’ll go and more low end power, but no damage done.
I suppose that’s why most of these 25hp’s are running so slow.
Your prop is nearly everything. Look up your prop pitch.

Stroker

Mako22

BANNED
I have been running 14 and 16 foot aluminum Jon's with 25 hp motors for about 25 years now. That motor will push it just fine.

Dialer

My crappie rig. I basically traded a 1973 Yamaha TX 750 for her.

Attachments

• 50A59384-48D5-4498-A68D-4F5BD18B73AB.jpeg
    50A59384-48D5-4498-A68D-4F5BD18B73AB.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 25

StriperrHunterr

I had a 1993 Tracker Pro 17 with a Johnson 25 2 stroke on it. With me and a guest for bass it would plane out at 23. For striper, with the bait tank, 20-21.