.260 vs. 6.5CM Reloading- UPDATE

BriarPatch99

Opinion ... I would look at the .243 Win. Loaded with Barnes 80 gr TTSX .... Starts out at 3300+ fps @300 yards still doing 2400 fps ... Only 10 lbs recoil ....

good brass availability .... Tikki is available ....

Put the 6.5CM, .260, 6.5-55 and put in a sack shake them up and dump them out and all you have is a lite .270 Win ... May as well reload your .270 lighter and save some $$ ....

But if you want reason to be "in fashion" get the 6.5 CM and be in style!

Any reason is a good reason to buy a rifle .... though !!!

Rainmaker

Before I received my Lapua 6.5 brass I was reforming 243 and 708 into 6.5 successfully.

Winchester brass was the easiest and most successful. Lapua 260 brass not so much. That is some thick brass, so I bought a neck turner.

Again, not needed to convert brass, but I just wanted to see if it would work and use what I had on hand.

BriarPatch99 mentioned 243. The greatest advantage the 6 creed has over the 243 is that factory rifles will come with a 1in 7.7 or 1 in 8 twist so you can shoot the heavier bullets.

My new desire is the Seekins Havak ph1 in 6 creed. I keep telling my wife I “need” it for Christmas.

nmurph

The creedmoor case is superior - in theory and reality.

In what sense? Certainly in terms of the availability of ammo and reloading supplies. But I don't mind paying $20 more per box for 260 until I'm up to speed with reloading.

You asked the question will the .264 caliber round provide enough terminal performance at 300 yds on whitetails - of course.

My question was a little more specific: I was asking if these rounds had the terminal performance to make ethical shoulder shots at 300yds.

You do have contradicting messages in your posts though.

You concern is time, age, and 3 shoulder surgeries which equals your quest for lighter recoil - I get it.

But - you imply light rifle and pushing the ballistics to the AI limit.

Yes, I did but I didn't completely explain my self. I don't have problems with recoil at this point and the AI recoils less than my '06 according to the info I found. At this point my primary reason for wanting a .264 is the ability to shoot better because of less shot flinch. I could always have an AI rechambered to .260 when age really starts to catch up with me. I certainly don't have the knowledge or skill at this point to fireform cases for the AI. But I do have a friend who has been reloading for many years and will serve as my mentor until I get somewhat up to speed.

Those two have an inverse relationship unless using a suppressor or brake.

I don't care for the extra noise. I'm not noise-averse and I wear muffs and plugs on the bench and muffs while hunting, I just don't want the extra noise.

One last thing to consider - look at the 6mm creedmoor ballistics with a 100 plus grain projectile. Inside 400 it's with the other 2 in the real world regarding ballistics - and it will do it with less recoil.

I've actually done some reading on the 6mm CM and other loads in that caliber. I have a friend who has a T3 with a Conquest in .243WSSM for a very good price. That rifle is in the back of my mind but from what I read there's not a lot of gain for less barrel life and hard-to-find/more expensive ammo.

Good luck.

Thanks...you guys are a wealth of info.

Reactions: Dub

Rainmaker

In what sense? Certainly in terms of the availability of ammo and reloading supplies. But I don't mind paying $20 more per box for 260 until I'm up to speed with reloading.

Longer neck, 30 degree shoulder vs 20 degree shoulder, less trimming of brass, you can seat the longer bullets out a little further closer to the lands (accuracy) and still keep the round in a short action either blind box or detachable mag.

My question was a little more specific: I was asking if these rounds had the terminal performance to make ethical shoulder shots at 300yds.

Yes they do.

Yes, I did but I didn't completely explain my self. I don't have problems with recoil at this point and the AI recoils less than my '06 according to the info I found. At this point my primary reason for wanting a .264 is the ability to shoot better because of less shot flinch. I could always have an AI rechambered to .260 when age really starts to catch up with me. I certainly don't have the knowledge or skill at this point to fireform cases for the AI. But I do have a friend who has been reloading for many years and will serve as my mentor until I get somewhat up to speed.

In the hunting world where we are - and for what you describe that you want - there is absolutely no need for an AI. Again, the major advantage for the 6.5 creed is you can walk into many stores and buy ammo - not so much for the 260 - if at all. When I had my 260 I had to order ammo from Cabela's to shoot until my dies arrived.

I know guys who love the 260 - and they should. It's a great caliber. However, you are walking into this fresh from ground zero. There isn't any logical reason for someone who isn't vested to pick the 260 over the 6.5 creed - unless they just want to.

I don't care for the extra noise. I'm not noise-averse and I wear muffs and plugs on the bench and muffs while hunting, I just don't want the extra noise.

I've actually done some reading on the 6mm CM and other loads in that caliber. I have a friend who has a T3 with a Conquest in .243WSSM for a very good price. That rifle is in the back of my mind but from what I read there's not a lot of gain for less barrel life and hard-to-find/more expensive ammo.

I would recommend you stay away from the 243 wssm the regular calibers will do all you need and want. Go to Hornady's website and check out the ballistics on the 6 creed and 6.5 creed with the hunting weight bullets. Check out the charts to 400 yards. Although, I have never achieved what the manufacturer publishes on their boxes even with a 24" barrel.

The problem with the 6 creed is there aren't many factory rifles chambered in the round. @BriarPatch99 I actually sent Tikka a message on Facebook a month ago inquiring if they were going to offer the T3X CTR in the 6 creed with a fast twist. I know it would sell like crazy with the PRS shooters. Tikka said they were looking into it. Hopefully that translates into - wait for SHOT.

Thanks...you guys are a wealth of info.

BriarPatch99

"The problem with the 6 creed is there aren't many factory rifles chambered in the round. @BriarPatch99 I actually sent Tikka a message on Facebook a month ago inquiring if they were going to offer the T3X CTR in the 6 creed with a fast twist. I know it would sell like crazy with the PRS shooters. Tikka said they were looking into it. Hopefully that translates into - wait for SHOT."

That would be nice ...

In the meantime ...how hard would it be for any the major makers to chamber a .243 in a fast twist barrel ... I would think not hard at all ...

BriarPatch99

The Barnes 97 grain LRX looks like it would be a good one in the 6mm CM, .243 Win, 6mm Rem & 6mm -.284... fast twist barrel..

I have shot my neighbor 's 6-284 ... with right twist it would be a reach way out there gun...

nmurph

I found a Nosler 48 in .260. The tough part is that it will be a few wks before I get my hands on it. I'm in south Georgia and the gun was in the metro area. My nephew picked it up for me. I'll be up that way in April, if not sooner. I'm anxious to get my hands on it, but i've got to find an appropriate scope. I have a 2-7x Vx II that I can use in the short term until I find a scope. I'll probably pick up a couple of boxes of ammo for starters, but the gun came with 100 Lapua brass and another 100 brass that I don't recall the brand. I'm sure I'll be bugging you guys. I'm reading everything I can and starting to put together a loading set up in my mind.

Dub

That is awesome.

Gonna be a super rifle for you.

The hunting experiences you describe is exactly what I've had, too. The shoulder concerns, too, lol. I'm right-handed and overdue for a right shoulder replacement. The Beretta Kick-Off system has been a true blessing.....I can imagine that a lighter recoiling rifle would be, too.

That Nosler is gonna be a sweet shooting gun.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Is it an M48 Long Range or another model? Think I have a couple 100 new Lapua case on hand if you need more. I use R-P currently and have about 700 on hand...those are hard to find. I have also necked down LC and have more of that than I need if you want to try your hand at necking down :)

nmurph

It's not a LR but I'm not sure about the exact model. It was advertised as being a Patriot but the documentation includes a factory printed target that lists it as being a 48 Patriot Custom. From what I understand, Nosler does not shoot there non custom line at the factory. They guarantee the accuracy of all their rifles, but I believe that they only shoot the custom line at the factory. But that may have been a change that was instituted later. Based on the serial number, I believe this to be a fairly early model-run gun. Either way, it shoots a .5 MOA. I'm checking with Nosler for clarification. Regardless, it will be a better shooting rifle than the guy behind the trigger.

sleepr71

Cool. Always had a .260 in the back of my mind. It’s a good “in-between” round vs my .243 & 7mag. I also have a bad shoulder & can see the need,as I get on down the road...although the Barnes bullets will poke holes thru & thru everything we have here in GA ?

I have decent experience with both ive taken deer out to 350ish with both with no problem usually drt if not than within 30 to 50 yds i do reload but if i didnt i would go with creedmoor my wife has killed several within 200 yds with most drt if u want to push distance in a 6.5 go on up to 6.5-284 thats a screamer i have a couple of those also recoil is also very tolerable my daughter also hunts with a creedmoor she is 9 and has taken 4 deer in the past 2 seasons fartherest went 35 yds 3 were drt all shots within 165 yds