.270 cal. 150gr. Trophy Bond Bear Claw?

Jared

Looking for 150 gr. .270 cal. loads with the Trophy Bond Bear Claw bullet. Found some place out west that would load them for 56.oo a box. Anybody know of them cheaper or what a $ should be or where to get them?

Would like a soft nose bullet and it to be cor-lok. Currently use Rem. cor-lok and friend uses Federal nosler Partician. What other 150 gr. options are out there that are bonded internally?

Jared

I want the heaviest .270 I can get. I usually shot in the 10 to 100 yard range and at hogs and deer. I want more punch power than the 130 gr. offer. What are the differences between the 140 and 150 gr. and is it enough to choose one over the other?

Jared

I like the looks of the Winchester Supreme partition Gold. What is your exp. with it and it does not look like it is bonded?
Is that true or should it make a difference?

Jared

I am not looking for speed but rather energy and bullet weight. I have been using the remington 150 gr. cor-lok and had very good luck. I thought I might could get a better bonded bullet with a lead tip that was not as rounded as the remington is. I read up on the trophy bonded and it really sounded good, but no-one made it except for custom reloaders.

Jared

Well, When you put it that way, that sounds very impressive. I think I will get a box and try them out.

Thank you for the info.

Jared

Looks light the Hornady 150 gr. Light Mag is a "Sprie Point", not the Interlock, do you see this as well. That takes me away from the bonded or the interlocking type of bullets. Are you reading this the same way?

Jared

Thanks for your help. I will get a box of the Hornady and try them out on some Ossabaw island pigs this mid Jan. Hog only hunt. Wish me luck and we will see how they do.

Deano

Federal loads a 140 grain trophy bonded ,and a 150 grain grand slam. that are probaly close to what your looking for, and a lot cheaper than having them custom loaded.

Kdog

Jared, D2D has some great info for you, and Deano brings some more to the table. I used to shoot the 150 GSlams when they were loaded by Speer Nitrex, now bought out by Federal. Now I am using the 150 gr. Barnes X bullet and am impressed. If I ever have problems, I will go back to the Grand Slams though for my .270.

Kdog

Darryl Yates

Andy????How much is your comission from Hornady???I bet you would make a good shoe salesman!!!! :D :yeah: But you are correct about the Hornady perforeminse... :yeah:

BANDERSNATCH

Back when I was reloading 30-06 I used the Barnes X-bullets but didn't like that the bullet would come apart. I recovered two or three of the bullets and all the 'petals' had broken off....apparently by design, so that these 'petals' would make "additional wound channels". I preferred the partition bullets, that house lead in the base.

Today, I shoot a .270 using factory Remington Core-loks. The problem is that 95% of the deer I shoot run off! (I say "problem" even though I prefer them to run....I, as I'm sure many of you as well, enjoy the tracking) My son shoots a wee .243 and most of the deer he has shot hasn't taken a step! What's up with that? I've considered going with a lighter bullet in hopes that, instead of passing through and taking energy with it, the bullet would stay in the animal and expend all its energy there. Any thoughts?

Bandy

teethdoc

Thanks for the link Andy. That's a great price. I'll try those out. I shot up my remaining corlokts this season.

Bandersnatch: What grain are you using? I have been shooting the Remington corlockt in 130gr. and have shot deer from 50-200+ yards and not a one has taken another step. I'm just going to try the Hornady b/c I like to experiment a little.

Jared

If I, We switch loads. How different from experience will it be on paper. I plan to go to the range and test, but what should I expect, those that have switched from a factory to a light magnum like the Horandy?

BANDERSNATCH

Actually, I just finished up the last of my Federal cheapie 150 gr soft points. My bad. Most of the time I go for the standard 'behind the shoulder' shot, but even the last buck I shot (a 190# 10 pt that was shot headon low in the chest) ran for ~50 yards. I've got a box of 130 gr Rem Coreloks that I haven't used yet....and a box of Federal Premium Ballistic Tips in 150 gr. Hopefully I'll get better performance from these.

I'm days away from owning my own reloading equipment again!!!! :) :fine: That's why I read this thread in the first place. Some good advice here....can't wait to apply it while reloading my ammo.

Happy New Year All...

Bandy