.270 vs. 30-06

.270 vs. 30-06

Votes: 50 47.2%
  • 30-06

Votes: 56 52.8%

• Total voters

teethdoc

With all the talk abt. the new calibers, I thought we could have a vote on the old school. If you could only have one of the above, what would it be and why?

Woody's Janitor

I have been hunting with a 270 for 14 years and I love it.
Remington Mt. rifle.

Nitro

Banned
While the ol '06 is a great round, I do not have rifle chambered for it.

Killed my first Whitetail and many,many more with various rifles in .270. For me it's a sentimental favorite.

It kills with authority.

I guess I read too many Jack O'Connor stories growing up.

If you like and believe what Craig Boddington writes, a 270, 280 or 30-06 is all that is needed for most hunters.All these cartridges will do the job well.

I have killed 3 with my .270 this year (so far) :bounce:

AG

bilgerat

Senior

Ive hunted deer with both. if I had only one choice it would be the 06 . it can be used for most big game animals, the 270 is not my choice for bigger game [i.e. grizzly bears ]

sr.corndog

I have both but I use my Remington 280 most this year will be my .50 caliber knight just like the smell! :flag:

Buzz

You haven't mentioned what for. If you are just talking about deer hunting then the only practical difference in the two is in the mind of the person that thinks one is better than the other.

I'd take the '06. I have had too many deer tote the .270 off. I haven't had to trail the '06 more than 30 yards, and that wasn't very often. The .270 is just too fast for the shots I was making. The bullets wouldn't expand. I was using the 130 grain core-loct.

Lead Poison

My vote goes to the grand ole 30-06. :flag:

Believe it or not, the 30-06 shoots almost as FLAT as the 270 Win. Also, every 30-06 I've ever shot, grouped extremely well.

Now don't get me wrong, the 270 Winchester is an excellent cartridge, but if I had to have only one, it would be the old 06. ;)

George W. Bush for President!

Last edited:

Predator56

i might be worng but the faster a bullet is traveling, the quicker it exopands

i'd take the 06 everyday of the week and twice on sundays but i cant say it is better

GeauxLSU

If the largest thing I was going to hunt was Elk, then no question for me, my .270. If I could only have one gun and needed it to cover everything in N.A., then yeah, an '06.
Luckily I don't have to choose. :clap:
Having said that, my .270 is by FAR, my favorite rifle.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
270 will kill any and all whitetails and does not have the extra shoulder thump that the 06 does.

Jim

Catfish369

'06 for me all the way.

I've also seen and heard of .270's losing a few deer, even when hit well. I know it's taken many deer but I personally believe that it was designed for and is intended for long range shots.....something that the "average" Georgia hunter rarely needs.

Also, the '06 will take ANY big game in North America, and is even sometimes used as a "light game" back-up for deer-sized game in places like Africa.

Hunting Teacher

I really don't think there is any practical difference when it comes to shooting a deer. I'm sure some of the gun guys will correct me if I'm wrong, but a 270 is just a very slightly necked down 06 cartridge.
The only reason I might say an 06 is because you have so many choices of shell brands, bullet weights, and types of bullets with the 06.
Teach

Buford_Dawg

I like both of them

but voted on the .270 because it is what I have used most often in last 10 years. Before that, it was 30-06 for 15 solid years. Love them both.

white lab

Have been hunting with a 270 for 17 years and I love it.the Browning Boss it best I have hunt both but the 270 got shoots the best to me:shoot:
:

golliff

I have to vote '06. I have killed a few deer in my time and i have yet to trail a deer more than 15 steps from the impact Zone. I am not really into searching for deer in the dark so I vote '06.

Mac

owned for 35 years, put alot of deer on the ground.

tried and true

I use a 7MM mag for fields now, but would have confidence in the 06, just needed a new toy after 30 years.