.270 win guys step inside..

M77 Ruger

What bullet have you had the best luck out of for whitetail deer out to 300 yards from a .270 win? Finally bought a new Meopta meopro scope to go on it so I ready to get out on the range and get some time in before hunting season.

shdw633

Hornady Custom 140 grain BTSP. Dropped a six point in his tracks in a peanut field from 305 yards a couple years back. That being said, I've also had a buck run 100 yards after double lunging it at 100 yards, more shot placement then bullet at that point.

roll tide

The old blue box federal ammo. It aint the bullet, its the shooter and the gun.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Hornady Custom 140 grain BTSP. Dropped a six point in his tracks in a peanut field from 305 yards a couple years back. That being said, I've also had a buck run 100 yards after double lunging it at 100 yards, more shot placement then bullet at that point.

That`s what my single shot Browning likes. It`s killed a lot of deer for me out of that old rifle.

Jester896

Senior Clown
They don’t make those any more do they?

Spoke to a fellow at Hornady when they first started to get hard to find, but for my .25-06, he told me that the Whitetail load with the SP Interlock was the same as those, but the SST Interlock was different. I picked up some of the SPBT bullets and my handloads shoot about .25 MOA better than the factory rounds that shot .5 MOA from my M77VT

I have had real good luck with Accubonds under that range in my .270 and even slowed them down a good bit.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I ve been shooting a 270 for 40ty years. I’ve dropped as many deer
With Remington core lots & the cheap federal ammo. Pass 300 yds. Shooting that distance takes a little practice.
With that said I’ve been useing the hornady SST s 130gr lately.
They will get down range fast.
Some drop. Some death run.

fountain

Old school 130gr Silvertips.

If anyone has any or knows where some of them ..original Silvertips....are, please PM me. I would like to buy more if possible

fishman1957

I've killed a bunch of deer with 130 gn hornady interlocs last few I shot with 110 gn hornady hp at 3200 fps DRT

Gator89

My all time favorite is the Nosler Acubond 140 grain that Winchester offered in their Supreme line. I think it is discontinued.

Hornady SST's are good and I use those in my 308.

godogs57

In our little world, white tails are pretty easy to kill, compared to other big game. Bullet placement trumps everything. Every bullet listed on this thread will kill any whitetail graveyard dead if you place the bullet correctly.

See what your rifle prefers and put in some practice with it over the summer.

Bust that “oil pump” and bullet selection will hardly matter. Really....

I hand load Noslers for deer and North Forks for elk. That’s what works for me.

Good luck!

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Old school 130gr Silvertips.

If anyone has any or knows where some of them ..original Silvertips....are, please PM me. I would like to buy more if possible

They're out of print, but if it helps: I can tell you the deer season xp is the exact replacement for the old silvertip in my 30/06. Unless they're discontinued, I'll never switch. No experirence on the .270 though.

30/06 old school deer killer extraordinaire

An old man on a deer drive 40 yrs ago told me...

"son, you can shoot a deer in the foot with a 3006 and he will leave a blood trail"

I still have my old 742 and a new bolt action in 3006, great round.

s&r