3 or 4 blade...

letsgohuntin

I've noticed that a lot of people use Muzzy 3 blades and not the 4 blade.
Do they shoot better or faster ?? As a newbie to bow hunting, I chose the 4 blades with more cutting area, so I have never shot a 3 bladed head. Thanks

PAPALAPIN

Shooting Compounds May Be Different

But, with traditional archery, a 3 blade broadhead can have a tendency to drift, or float up and down. The key with a three blade is to have a lot of spiral in your fletching. If it spins a lot, it will not drift or float.

Randy

Maybe I am wrong but I thought the 3 blade had a little wider cutting area than the 4.

Michael Lee

Randy is right. The 3 blade 100 grain have a 1 3/16 inch cutting diameter and the 4 blade 100 grain has a 1 inch cutting diameter.

ML

letsgohuntin

Randy said:
Maybe I am wrong but I thought the 3 blade had a little wider cutting area than the 4.

The diameter is slightly larger... but shouldn't the 4th blade still cause more flesh to be cut causing more bleeding and damage? The 4 blade obviously has more cutting surface even though the diameter would be slightly smaller. Im doubt the differences are enough to speak of one way or the other though. ::huh: I do know that I would rather get cut with 3 blades instead of 4 :D

J Gilbert

I shoot the 4blade and my dad shoots the 3blade. While I didnt get to test em out this year, I can say that in my bow and my dads bow, both fly the same. I can screw on one of his heads and hit exactly where I'm aiming.

ugabowhunter

maybe it was just me, but..

til this year, i have never hit a deer with a 3 blade muzzy and not found it. opening morning had a good eight pt 5 yards away below me, made a perfect shot and the arrow deflected off a rib and stuck in the ground. the next evening i made a perfect 20 yard pass thru shot on a doe and she bled like crazy for 50 yards then quit, never found her. this year i was using 4 blade muzzys b/c wal mart was out of three blades. i was 11 for 11 in fatally hitting deer til i used the four blades. 0 for 2 with the four blades.
there HAS to be a difference.

mpowell

i've only used 3 blade broadheads, period, regardless of brand so i can't attest to the efficiency of a 4 blade.

i know the 3 blade muzzys haven't failed me so i have no reason to try anything else.

PAPALAPIN

Different Strokes For Different Folks

I use ANDERSON MAGNUM 245'S 125 grain 4 BLADE with a 1.8" cutting diameter.

You can stick your fist throught he hole it makes. Flies great.

BUT - They don't make them any more. Hard to find.

cowboyron

I shoot 4 blade 100 gr. I tried the three blades a few years back and could not get good flight so stayed with the 4's.

Papalapin shed some light on why.......I was shooting straight fletched arrows.

I have had good success with my fours on shooting and recovering deer.