3 tons lime / 3000’ of edge

Jim Boyd

Putting the finishing touches on 3 adjoining plot areas - they all come together to form a rough Y.

Roughly .85 acres but that is the best I can cut out in this area.

3 tons of lime added - based on past experience, this should test at 6.5 to 6.8 when we get ready to plant in October.

Deer love edge, these areas are roughly 3000’ x 25 so there are a LOT of areas to access the food that will be there this fall and winter.

Get to work guys. As was famously mentioned by Will Rogers - “we can’t all be heroes, someone has to sit on the curb and clap as the heroes go by”....

I am not a hero but I am working as hard as I can to “ give back” to the herd.

If that makes the deer hunting better, so be it!!!!

We are up to about 10 acres tillable on this 247 acre tract. Not where we want to end up but we are making progress!

Best of luck to all for 2018!

Attachments

• CFC00329-13B4-4846-BE38-BE9E6DE5EB24.jpeg
    CFC00329-13B4-4846-BE38-BE9E6DE5EB24.jpeg
    634.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 9D403D21-2CD1-4DF4-8F8E-F29ADEE8C043.jpeg
    9D403D21-2CD1-4DF4-8F8E-F29ADEE8C043.jpeg
    645.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 1DE34347-3077-4550-BDD2-D47913624296.jpeg
    1DE34347-3077-4550-BDD2-D47913624296.jpeg
    517.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 05256133-3A52-44C6-A3B3-5782C852A32E.jpeg
    05256133-3A52-44C6-A3B3-5782C852A32E.jpeg
    624.8 KB · Views: 73

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Sounds good... how long does it take the lime to take affect and benefit the food plot? I hear different things on the subject.

When will you plant?

godogs57

You can count on about six months for it to work in the soil. That's why farmers here are usually spreading lime around the Thanksgiving/ Christmas time frame.

Keith Karr

Looking good Jim !

Are you having a spreader truck do the lime or you doing pelletized lime yourself ?

Jim Boyd

We do Ag lime with an 8’ spreader we own.

Works great ( til you hit a stump or tree!)

Last edited:

BornToHuntAndFish

Way to go JB! Good to hear the voice of experience & thinking ahead. Like godogs57 said, I've always heard it takes several months for lime to work it's way into the soil to help maximize food plot output. Inspiring showing hard work paying off. Best of luck to you & your crew this coming season.

HAPPY DAD

Jim, it’s only a matter of time before you guys pull one of them lowcountry 150s off this farm. Still want to did me a place down there to head that 8-15 rifle opener, just can’t happen this year

Jim Boyd

Don’t think we will see a 150, the county typically only produces 135-140 on the high end and we have never reached that level.

There are probably some monsters that don’t get reported, however - so hope springs eternal!

Thanks for all the great comments guys

baddave

you look like you have the perfect food plot right there in those pines .. bush hog that and watch em munch

Jim Boyd

Bad Dave

We utilize mowing native areas a lot. I don’t think it has quite the draw that a decent plot has but it is a very good tactic.

I won’t mow much around these plot areas as there is some pretty thick bedding cover along the edges of a good bit of the lanes.

There are several good water oaks near the juncture of the Y also, which should be beneficial.

Will probably establish a mineral lick near the Y area too but that might not happen this summer.

Best of luck to all this year!

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Look good Jim,

We just cleared off three big loading decks on a couple of our property's. Going to spray and spread lime in a couple of weeks. We hope two turn them into big beautiful clover plots this winter. I cant wait to see the results.

Jim Boyd

Good luck Thunder.

Some decks are murder on equipment so go easy.

I cannot tell you many discs, bearings, spacers and brackets I have replaced on my harrows.

They are down now for repair......

??

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
We have a N.C. guy who owns a grading company in our club. We rented a small dozer from a local logging company. He made quick work of clearing them. I didn't find very many rocks in any of them. Hopefully the rest will be fairly easy.

Jim Boyd

That’s the way to do it!!!!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Good luck Thunder.

Some decks are murder on equipment so go easy.

I cannot tell you many discs, bearings, spacers and brackets I have replaced on my harrows.

They are down now for repair......

??

You forgot 1/2" Grade 8 bolts. :bounce:

Jim Boyd

Ironically, I bought quite a bit of grade 8 fasteners today, for the bush hog however. I had to put a new tail wheel assy on it. Just bought the rear frame home, will install it all tomorrow eve at camp.

One of the disc gangs - I had to weld new upper 90 degree stanchions on the mount brackets. Too many stumps and roots over the last several years.

Got all the filters etc for the tractor so this weekend I am going to try to gain some ground on equipment maintenance.

Jim Boyd

I repaired the disc yesterday and harrowed these areas again last night.

Soil was damp and disc cut well as best I could tell in the dark.

Less roots now - the plots are coming around!