300 Blackout Ammo Recommendation?

krizia829

Hey guys! My husband got me the upper shown below for valentine's day so that I can finally finish my pistol build! I'm stoked!! I attached the specs and was wondering based on those specs, what ammunition would you guys recommend for hog hunting max 150 yards and what would you recommend for the range that is inexpensive? I appreciate the help!

Forged Upper Receiver
Upper Receiver Type:
Forged Standard
Upper Receiver Material: 7075 T6 Aluminum
Upper Reciever Coating: Hardcoat Anodized
Barrel
Muzzle Device:
PSA Fluted Flash Can
Barrel Caliber: 300AAC Blackout
Barrel Profile: Heavy
Barrel Material: 4150V CMV
Barrel Length: 8.5"
Barrel Thread Pitch: 5/8 x 24
Barrel Twist Ratio: 1:7
Barrel Finish: Nitride
Barrel Lining: Nitride
Gas System
Gas Block Size: .750
Gas Block Type: Low Profile
Gas System: Pistol
Handguard:
Handguard Length: 10"
Handguard Type: M-LOK
Handguard Color: Black
Rail Profile: Standard
BCG & Charging Handle
BCG Caliber:
BCG Profile: Full Auto
BCG Bolt Type: Carpenter 158
Charging Handle: 7075 T6 Aluminum

5165450136.jpg

transfixer

I don't know about store bought ammo , as I reload mine, other than some underwood 125gr ballistic tip stuff I picked up off the trader, but I would suggest something 110gr , maybe up to 125gr,, I wouldn't want to go heavier than that because you'll lose velocity with the heavier stuff and the short barrel. I haven't taken a hog yet with mine, but I plan on using something other than ballistic tips because while they are devastating destructively,, they don't penetrate very far,, and I'm pretty sure hogs are a bit tougher than deer

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Dang ! I just looked online for loaded ammo for the .300BO ,, it is rather pricey isn't it ! the only ammo decent priced is fmj , which you wouldn't want to hunt with. Do you know anyone who reloads ? Might be worth seeking someone out ?

other than that you might try these,, not what I'd call cheap, but priced better than some, should be perfect for what you want .

https://www.luckygunner.com/300-aac-blackout-125-gr-fsp-fiocchi-25-rounds
The SST's in the Hornady loads perform well on deer and hogs for me in the very similar 7.62x39.

Jester896

Senior Clown

Jester896

Senior Clown
The main reasons I suggest sub and heavies...is it has a pistol length gas system...and the gas block doesn't say adjustable. I...and it may just be me...feel like running hyper sonic over gasses the system...I know it does in mine...it will sling a piece of brass 20'...all of my 300BLK is made from LC cases...I want them all back :)

transfixer

The main reasons I suggest sub and heavies...is it has a pistol length gas system...and the gas block doesn't say adjustable. I...and it may just be me...feel like running hyper sonic over gasses the system...I know it does in mine...it will sling a piece of brass 20'...all of my 300BLK is made from LC cases...I want them all back :)

Didn't think about that, but you're right, it likely will be overgassed with supers, it would probably be worth it for her to upgrade to an adjustable gas block, I'm running one on my 16in barrel, just so I can adjust according to what I'm shooting, definitely makes for smoother shooting. I've yet to shoot subsonics in mine, I'll get around to it at some point, but what do you think the range would be shooting subs ? I'd imagine you'd need to keep your shots to 100yds or even less wouldn't you ?

Jester896

Senior Clown
My 10" isn't set up for hunting. It will hold about a 2" group at 100 with 220SMKs though. I would have to believe it would be sweet stalking hogs in a swamp at 50 yds or so :)