.308 Wenchester for dear?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
That was awful mean of u to say it like that. ?

yeah, but da troof is da troof. Pappy kinda blunt that way

Never tried 180 gr in my .270s but have to agree with NGP (gosh I hate to do that) :) but if you can not kill 'em with a .270 then it is not likely to be better with a .308.

Pappy is feeling the love . :love::love:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Sorry bout that. Are you the spell check detective?

nah, just found it funny.

For real, it sounds like if you spent a bit more time making sure of your shot placement you would be better off. There is nothing magical about a 30 caliber bullet over a .270 bullet. They both kill deer by the thousands every year.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have to agree with Pappy. Shot placement is way more important than caliber and bullet weight. Either the 270 or the 308 will kill any deer in GA if the shot is put in the right place.

Mo love for the Pappy.

Bullet placement has a great deal to do with it

Bloodyarra
What kinda scope u got on that riffle?
I missed this question. I think it has
Bloodyarra
What kinda scope u got on that riffle?
I missed this question kmac,. It has a Tesco 3x9x30 I think. It's an old hand me down from some kinfolk. It's always been a good scope to use in low light. When u pair it with 180 grain and do make a decent shot it's an awesome setups

The Bar I'm gonna use has a Weaver on it that's the same size scope. It should work out in the long run. I'll proly start shootin it at the range when i round up enough bullets.

Gone Fishin

I have had really good luck with .270 cal 130gr winchester powermax on deer.

There isn't enough difference between 270 & 308 to matter inside of 300yards with the same ammo.

goshenmountainman

I use Hog hammer and deer season 150 grain, same cartridges. Killed lots of hogs,yotes and deer. Two big boars took two shots, everything else, one and done.

deast1988

I killed my first deer with a 308, I killed my best deer with a 308. Been using it for years. Just recently got a new stock for a browning abolt micro medallion that's getting some time this fall.

I've shot 150/165/168/178/180, all have killed deer like lighting.

Me personally the 150 works but tends to disrupt so fast you get big shock smaller exits. Ballistic tips may not exit unless monolithic.

165 sweet spot, solid impacts most everything exits except hard quartering to/away. You can run monolithic for elk, or off angle exits.

178 the hornady eldX this round is growing on me. From 10yds to 225yds the deer I've seen hit with it were crushed.

180 tough, big critters. Smaller refined wound channels does the job but not needed.

You'd be well served with a 165gr accubond. I'm in the train of thought if I see a giant and he gives me some tough angle shot I'm aiming for the exit like a bow hunter would. I've seen a 165gr tsx break a femur on impact and end up in the opposite shoulder. Accubonds have lead and in my experience animals act way harder hit with them. I started with a 308 at 9years old is my limited experience with it.

Muldoon

It'll work fine for a 'dear'!!

And I've shot lots of X's with it from 1000 yards!

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I missed this question. I think it has

I missed this question kmac,. It has a Tesco 3x9x30 I think. It's an old hand me down from some kinfolk. It's always been a good scope to use in low light. When u pair it with 180 grain and do make a decent shot it's an awesome setups
I got a Tasso also. Got it in 1984. It has a range finder with a built in slide like ruler to tell u how many clicks to raise or lower out a pretty good ways.
It’s my go to scope !!

glynr329

I have never owned a 308 but I use to own a 270. If I was getting another gun probably would be a 308. I just had bad luck with the 270. Shot big buck about 250 yards ran off not one drop of blood. I did find him a couple of weeks later. After about an hour of looking I thought I guess I missed him. I shot another big buck about 250 yards same path he ran 25 yards hit the ground like you hit him in the head. 5 mins. latter got up took off. Bleed like crazy at first. Have not seen him since. Probably the bullets I am sure but I lost confidence in the gun. I hunt a powerline and always used the best bullets for long range off the shelf. Got a 7 mag every shot dead deer. I did get the 270 wsm have not had any problems and love it. I didn't say the 270 was a bad round many deer killed with them but if you lose confidence in your gun you get something different.

biggdogg

Caliber is not your problem. There ain't a hill of beans difference between the .270 and the .308 that any deer will ever notice. I'd round up a few boxes and spend some time at the range.