.308 Wenchester for dear?

I guess I'll have to start keeping 8 bullets out of a box for the range instead of 4. Sounds like I need to shoot more.

The mtn man

I guess I'll have to start keeping 8 bullets out of a box for the range instead of 4. Sounds like I need to shoot more.
For deer, I would go with a lighter bullet than what your using, try 130gr in your .270, as for the 30cal. Try 150gr. I prefer corelocks, but everyone has there preference, deer will die quickly with most anything if shot through the vitals. They can't live if they can't breath.

The mtn man

So this was a fishing thread? If so why? Folks that no very little about deer hunting ask questions on here like this one all the time, I don't believe you hooked anyone, most that responded were like me, we had the impression that someone that knew very little about a .270 or a .308 needed advice. Things like this are the reason a lot of the good folks that use to take part in this forum don't anymore.

nmurph

So this was a fishing thread? If so why? Folks that no very little about deer hunting ask questions on here like this one all the time, I don't believe you hooked anyone, most that responded were like me, we had the impression that someone that knew very little about a .270 or a .308 needed advice. Things like this are the reason a lot of the good folks that use to take part in this forum don't anymore.

Don't be so quick to credit this thread to trolling.

There is lots of ignorance in this world.

chrislibby88

I hunt with a .308. I shoot Winchester silver tip exclusively. It shoots MOA or sub MOA in every gun I’ve tried it in, and expands very reliabl and penetrates like crazy. It does fragment, which is debatable for a hunting round, but I don’t mind, it gives you have a little margin of error, as the copper jacket frag can damage organs that otherwise wouldn’t be damaged. I haven’t experienced much meet loss, no more than a shoulder shot with a 30-30 shooting bonded soft nose bullets.

The ammo is expensive, and most guys prefer a bonded soft nose to minimize fragmentation and meat damage, but like I said, in my experience the meat damage with the ballistic tip has been negligible. Ballistic tips are much more aerodynamic than soft tips and generally MUCH more accurate, but I think 2-3 MOA accuracy fine for most shots you can take in south.

Make sure you buy many different boxes of ammo of varying styles and weight and see what shoots well in your gun.

rosewood

.308 "Wench"ester for dear?

That almost seems like too much of a coincidence for both to be typos.

Last edited: