350 Legend

Winchester is gonna have to make good on the low cost ammo in order for me to consider this cartridge . I was under the impression that raw 223 brass from starline could be used .

rosewood

Winchester is gonna have to make good on the low cost ammo in order for me to consider this cartridge . I was under the impression that raw 223 brass from starline could be used .

Yeah, that is what I was thinking also.

rosewood

It is only .014" bigger at the widest part, you may be able to fireform the .223 brass to the 350.

Technically, even with a rebated rim, it is still considered a straight wall case. Even many rimmed cartridges are considered straightwalled.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Some articles are saying basic 223 brass can be used, and some say,
The brass is proprietary and, for safety reasons, cannot be made from .223 brass. Although they share the same case head, the body is slightly wider and has a mild taper."
And
I got this from another website. he is a excellent gunsmith.
#3 My sincerest apologies for the deletion of all the posts that were already here… Reason being is that I just spent a couple of hours on the phone with guys from Winchester, and with all of the new things that I have learned today, misinformation was given, and some to the point that is would open up liabilities that I would not want to be responsible for… So, with information that is now fact, and straight from the company who designed and developed the new 350 Legend cartridge, let’s try this again…
Key Features of the 350 Legend Cartridge, as listed by Winchester – More ENERGY than 30-30 Win, 300 Blackout and 223 Remington… World’s fastest straight-walled cartridge… Approximately 20% LESS RECOIL than the 243 Winchester… 20% more PENETRATION… LESS RECOIL than the 450 Bushmaster… Effective deer hunting ranges up to 250 yards, plus it delivers more energy than the 5.56mm, 300 Blackout or 30-30 Winchester…
This is a new case design and is NOT made from straight walled 223 Remington brass…

rosewood

That may very well be a legal disclaimer by Winchester.

If this is true, they are shooting themselves in the foot. The 300 BO wouldn't be as popular if you couldn't make brass from 5.56.

I tend to base my new cartridge purchases on availability and or ability to make them in the event they don't take off. I want a short range deer cartridge in the AR15, but have debated between 300BO with light bullets, 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel etc, but the latter 2 are not made from easily obtainable/formed cases from other cartridges so I have been unable to make a decision.

Rosewood

transfixer

I've been reading a good bit about this cartridge lately, and while I admit it will have its place , especially for the states that only allow straight walled cartridges for hunting,, and it will be suited for AR platforms, I believe Winchester is over hyping this cartridge quite a bit, "better penetration than a .243 "? "effective for deer out to 250yds" ? come on guys,,, its a pistol bullet ! a short fat pistol bullet ! there is no way they can convince me it will penetrate further than a 100gr .243 load ,,,, I also don't believe it can deliver more energy than a 170gr .30-30 load,,, the marketing department has gotten carried away with this product release.

transfixer

That may very well be a legal disclaimer by Winchester.

If this is true, they are shooting themselves in the foot. The 300 BO wouldn't be as popular if you couldn't make brass from 5.56.

I tend to base my new cartridge purchases on availability and or ability to make them in the event they don't take off. I want a short range deer cartridge in the AR15, but have debated between 300BO with light bullets, 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel etc, but the latter 2 are not made from easily obtainable/formed cases from other cartridges so I have been unable to make a decision.

Rosewood

I've had a .300BO for a couple seasons now, I like the cartridge, but its not a great deer round in my opinion, after taking deer with it, it will do the job, but don't expect DRT shots, it doesn't have the shocking power necessary . I will probably put together an upper in 6.8spc in the future, simply because it holds the fps advantage over the Grendel , you can handload and get in the 2600-2800fps range with the 6.8spc, the Grendel tops out around 2500fps, it might not be much difference, but I've always favored faster shooting cartridges.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I've been reading a good bit about this cartridge lately, and while I admit it will have its place , especially for the states that only allow straight walled cartridges for hunting,, and it will be suited for AR platforms, I believe Winchester is over hyping this cartridge quite a bit, "better penetration than a .243 "? "effective for deer out to 250yds" ? come on guys,,, its a pistol bullet ! a short fat pistol bullet ! there is no way they can convince me it will penetrate further than a 100gr .243 load ,,,, I also don't believe it can deliver more energy than a 170gr .30-30 load,,, the marketing department has gotten carried away with this product release.
The 350 is going to equal and probably slightly better the .357 Maximum in handloads. The 357 Max with a 180gr XTP easily outperforms the 30/30 170gr and the 35 Rem with 150 or 200gr bullets. The .357 Max will drive a 180gr at 2300fps from a 10" barrel and 2400-2450fps from a 20"bbl.
The 350 Legend should easily equal the Max if not better it slightly due to an extra .1" case length.

weagle

"better penetration than a .243 "? "effective for deer out to 250yds" ? come on guys,,, its a pistol bullet ! a short fat pistol bullet !

You can load it with pistol bullets, but the factory loads are definitely not typical .357 pistol bullet design.

img_8811-jpeg.1553363

lonewolf247

Looking at the energy on the ballistic tables above, it appears to be ~150-175 yard deer rifle at the most? Like I mentioned in another post, it’s a good option for states limiting hunters to straight walled case. However, I am much more inclined at this point to buy an AR in 6.5 Grendel, for my hunting purposes.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Looking at the energy on the ballistic tables above, it appears to be ~150-175 yard deer rifle at the most? Like I mentioned in another post, it’s a good option for states limiting hunters to straight walled case. However, I am much more inclined at this point to buy an AR in 6.5 Grendel, for my hunting purposes.
Handloads will liven it up a bunch.

lonewolf247

Handloads will liven it up a bunch.

Can you load some up for me? Lol?

Joking, but I’ve just never taken the next step to get into handloading, and at this point in life, it’s doubtful I will. Just inquiring for myself, and others that may be looking to purchase an AR in a hunting caliber in the near future. Is there any advantage in buying the Legend over a 6.5 Grendel for deer hunting, from a ballistic standpoint? Provided your state has no case limitations. I’m thinking the same can be said for the Grendel and handloading? Load it to it’s potential and get the most out of it. Thx

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Can you load some up for me? Lol?

Joking, but I’ve just never taken the next step to get into handloading, and at this point in life, it’s doubtful I will. Just inquiring for myself, and others that may be looking to purchase an AR in a hunting caliber in the near future. Is there any advantage in buying the Legend over a 6.5 Grendel for deer hunting, from a ballistic standpoint? Provided your state has no case limitations. I’m thinking the same can be said for the Grendel and handloading? Load it to it’s potential and get the most out of it. Thx
With no straight-walled restriction, there are many better deer cartridges (ballistically speaking) than the 350.

You'd love to handload.

rosewood

I've had a .300BO for a couple seasons now, I like the cartridge, but its not a great deer round in my opinion, after taking deer with it, it will do the job, but don't expect DRT shots, it doesn't have the shocking power necessary . I will probably put together an upper in 6.8spc in the future, simply because it holds the fps advantage over the Grendel , you can handload and get in the 2600-2800fps range with the 6.8spc, the Grendel tops out around 2500fps, it might not be much difference, but I've always favored faster shooting cartridges.

That is why I haven't gone with the 300BO. I consider it marginal for deer.

transfixer

That is why I haven't gone with the 300BO. I consider it marginal for deer.

Its a very accurate cartridge,, I can shoot sub moa groups at 100yds all day long with 110gr and 125gr handloads,, and its a joy to shoot ! virtually no recoil,,, I've yet to try it on hogs or coyotes, should do fine on yotes,, I'm not sure about hogs,,, we'll see.

transfixer

You can load it with pistol bullets, but the factory loads are definitely not typical .357 pistol bullet design.

img_8811-jpeg.1553363

I understand that,, but the ballistic coefficient is rather poor,, as evidenced by the amount of drop the rounds have at 200yds,, they're definitely not your typical streamlined rifle projectiles.

leoparddog

I understand that,, but the ballistic coefficient is rather poor,, as evidenced by the amount of drop the rounds have at 200yds,, they're definitely not your typical streamlined rifle projectiles.

Really though, how many of us kill deer past 100 yards? We all want to talk about 200 yard deer rifles but statistically most deer are shot inside 75 yards. For me, the .223 is a marginal deer round and I'm not a fan of the 6.5 or 300BO options in the AR-15 platform. Also not interested in buying a AR-10 and scaling up to a .308. If I wanted a .308 semi-auto I'd buy an M1A.

I already load and cast bullets for .357Mag and this 35 Legend in an AR Pistol or 16" barrel carbine means I can load hard cast bullets for target shooting and plinking up to about 1700fps or factory ammo. It provides a versatility to me that the 300BO or 6.5 or 6.8 options don't offer to me personally.

Last edited:

rosewood

True dat. For the last 7-8 years I have hunted with a max distance of 100 yards. Last few years, was using a single shot CVA in 35 Remington. Love that gun. Property was clear cut and now I have a 240 yard shot. Could still use the 35, but I have to worry about drop. I have been carrying the 30-06 or 260 rem which have a MPBR of at least 240 so I don't have to worry about drop. However, the only deer I shot this season was at 35 yards. Wished I had my contender pistol with me, but I didn't.

The Legend or BO would have worked fine for me in the past, but now, not so much.

Rosewood