359# Warsaw Grouper

larpyn

they are 2 different species of fish.

Ok, thats what I figured but wasn't all that clear. The pictures really help to compare he 2 side by side and a noticeable difference was there. Thanks again.

another difference is the jewfish aka goliath aka hebrew of the sea or what ever you want to call it lives primarily in shallower water than it's deep water cousin the warsaw. i am sure that their territories overlap somewhere along the lines though.
when we dive in the gulf we see goliath's all the time when we dive anything that has more than 3' of relief from the bottom. some of the bigger ones will take a fish off your spear if he gets the chance. if you get one holed up he will make loud thumping sound that sound like you were popping m-80's under the water. they don't like it too much when you git 'em cornered.:bounce:
i can't wait till the state has a permit system for jewfish. i have a spot marked that has one that may be bigger than the pic that capt. brian posted :cool:
that fish doesn't like me one bit. i think i have surprised him about as many times as he has me. nothing like poking your head in a hole to look for a grouper and all of a sudden you see an eye as big as a beer can looking back at you.:hair:

Last edited:

Dixiesimpleman32

GONetwork Member
down in carrabelle youcan buy a order of grouper throats at restaraunts.i bet that grouper throat was huge.yeah we normally catch those scamp groupers when we go out and fish.we only go out 10 miles or less.

deadend

Wow. what a fish.:cool:
those pics bring back memories of a warsaw that was posted on a spearfishing forum that i am a member of. this warsaw was speared at 425' deep and weighed 405#'s i searched and found the pics. i like diving but i am not chasing fish at 425' deep. no way.

That is Dan Macmahon from Tampa. That fish was a project for him to spear that took several years of planning to execute. Amazing what a single banded freeshaft can do with correct shot placement. Dan is a legend and spearfishes for a living.

RJ0104

thats kinda scary that there are fish out there that are that big, and look, just a little guy like myself would be just a snack for him! thats crazy, BUT, awesome!

swamp hunter

Dang Jewfish are killing us down south here. Every time we release a snook or red on the inshore reefs GULP, there they go. Had one try and snatch a 45 lb. cobia while I was fighting it. He was chasing that cobia around like it was a giant zara spook . Also got a problem with them tame dolphin They all act like flipper. come right up to the boat and wait for a handout. Anything you hook while they are around , they,ll snach right off your line .Anybody got a recipie for them!