3D shoots

dirttracker84

The clubs that put these events on please remember those of us who shoot hunter class with lens in our sights. If you hunt like that then we should be able to compete like that also.JMO...Thanks looking forward to a great 2018:flag:

And I know lens are allowed for pins but some of us also use single pin/adjustable sights..

Last edited:

Monster02

How is that a hunting setup?

BowanaLee

It wouldn't be fair to the fixed pin shooters. There would have to be a new hunter slider class. I use a slider with 3 pins. I just don't move it when I shoot hunter and use a short stabilizer. Its not my regular class though.
I have a similar problem. I'm 62 years old an like judging yardage. Theres no unknown class at the regular shoots except open 50 or hunter ? One extreme to the other. The known classes have taken over. :huh:

dirttracker84

I understand the fixed pins, at most shoots can use magnification in the hunter class so therefore a single/adjustable pin with magnification should also be fine but most clubs don't have a class like that it's like you said you have to shoot a open class..BUT I'll have fun either way it's still just a redneck golf game to me..LOL

Finch

I think they should create a hunter slider class. There are a ton of hunters using either a single pin slider or a multi pin slider instead of just a fixed multi pin sight. A lot of hunters also use a back bar setup and longer stabilizers now. A hunting set up is a lot different now than what it was 10-15 years ago. It would be a good option for people who shoot a slider but not a tournament style dial up sight and I would also like to see it unknown yardage. To me that's part of the fun and it equals things out somewhat. You don't have to be the best shot but if you can judge yardage well then you will score better than someone who is a great shot but can't judge yardage. All that being said I dont think there is anything wrong with any class that is offered now I just think it would open up some options for your every day hunter that shoots a slider sight.

deadbox

So just shoot an open class. And you can have all that plus bars if you choose to.

dirttracker84

The point I'm trying to make is to not have to shoot a open class while using a hunting setup with a slider sight with magnification and short stabilizers which most places allow you to do so BUT without magnification in a slider but will allow it for pins...

jt12

Guys everyone of y'all make a valid point and it's what everyone of us clubs go thru trying to provide a class that everyone can compete in without giving someone an advantage over another. The problem is if you have every class imaginable you would only have one or two per class, which kind takes the fun of competing. If you're just looking to get some practice to help you with hunting situations most clubs let you shoot for fun at a lower cost.
Here at Po Boy we are constantly trying to come up with ideas to put fun into every tournament by adding things like bonus shots and hidden targets, hopefully it gives you an opportunity to poke fun at a friend.
This year Po Boy Archery will be joining up with North Forty Archery, Rocky Creek Archery any Satilla River Archery to form the South East Shootout Circuit. It just so happens that we have what I think is a class that fits just what this topic is referring to, Open C. This class is for those hunters who has magnification with a slider and possibly a longer stabilizer with a rear stabilizer. Also it's for those novices open shooters that are just starting out. Its 40yrds max with 10 known and 10 unknown targets. I can't remember if it's a SOY class or not but if it is I know that if you're an open shooter and you win SOY you'll have to move up. I'm not sure, I'll have to get back with you but if you're shooting a hunter setup with a slider you may can continue in this class, maybe. I'll let y'all know.
So if you guys are ready for some fun busting some foam come on over and check us out at Po Boys and if you're looking to test your skills out in a circuit the South East Shootout is the one. Hope to see y'all starting in January, PEACE OUT.

Last edited:

BowanaLee

I understand the low turnout on having to many classes. My class is super seniors. "unknown 40" I don't expect a club to offer that class. Most of those guys are deceased. :bounce:
I usually shoot open trophy just to compete in something close but most clubs have eliminated it and gone to known.
One reason I use a HHA slider with pins is so I can shoot multiple classes. I don't have a problem using a hunter slider and short stabilizer against open shooters. Its just another slider to me ?
I'm not a novice but open money is stretching these old eyes. We need something unknown between hunter and open money. I got it ? 45 yd, Super hunter, 1/2 known, 1/2 unknown, trophy, any stabilizer, sight and speed. :rofl:

Last edited:

dirttracker84

Troy, at your shoots that's what we were shooting the fun class, but some of us were looking to be able to shoot for money also without having to compete with all the open shooters, while still using a hunting setup with slider/adjustable sight WITH magnification allowed, most clubs now we can still shoot hunter class with the pin shooters but we just can't with any magnification BUT the pin shooters CAN. but we still are going to shoot just to have fun like I've said it's just redneck golf for us.....:clap:

jt12

Troy, at your shoots that's what we were shooting the fun class, but some of us were looking to be able to shoot for money also without having to compete with all the open shooters, while still using a hunting setup with slider/adjustable sight WITH magnification allowed, most clubs now we can still shoot hunter class with the pin shooters but we just can't with any magnification BUT the pin shooters CAN. but we still are going to shoot just to have fun like I've said it's just redneck golf for us.....:clap:

That's not true, no one in bowhunter last year could use magnification at Po Boys no matter what sight you used. Go back and look at the rules that was posted on our Facebook page. I can't say what other clubs allowed but at Po Boy bowhunter wasn't allowed to use any magnification.

Guys I didn't reply to this post to start a squabble, I just wanted to help everyone understand why we go about setting the classes the way they are. I know its not perfect by any means but we're trying to get numbers in each class.

Please give our Open C class a chance, I think that you'll be happy with everything about it. Remember this is for Novice open shooters not those open guys that have been shooting open for years. So you slider guys should be able to compete easily.

deadbox

It don't matter what you call the class. But I am curious how many people would actually want to shoot an open class with bar restrictions. Why not get a group up and ask for a special class on the days leading up. But i reality how many do you expect to want shoot a class like that? If only your people then y'all get your own side pot up and let it roll. If it hits and people are interested im sure the club would run that class.

Consider also arrow size restrictions? Would be the next thing someone will want changed.

But consider you walk up and wanna shoot a money class you look at the class your suggesting and there are 2 shooters then you look at the standard hunting class and there are 8 shooters what are you gonna sign up for? Most will shoot class with more shooters.

Finch

I wouldn't mind trying open c with my slider I just really would like for all the targets to be unknown yardage instead of half and half to me judging yardage is the toughest part and what makes it fun. I know that its half and half cause yall are trying to please everyone so think im griping about that. I'm just saying it's what keeps me from shooting open c.But if it's not known yardage at locals then I don't have a problem anyway cause I can seldom make it to a pro-am.