44 Mag For Deer Hunting?

Swamprat

Swamprat
I would stick to a good quality straight 4 or 6 power scope due to range limitations of your shot.

DecerWorse

The first deer rifle I ever shot was the ruger 44 carbine.
My father said ok son hold it as loose as you possibly can and shoot it.
I said no way it’ll hurt. He said with a stern voice and an odd mean look in his ? hold it loose and shoot it!
So I did exactly what he said and it jacked my shoulder so hard it made me cry. Bruised me up real good. Him and momma fought the rest of the day. Then he said ok son I want you to remember that moment for the rest of your life whenever you hold any rifle and hold it tight as you can against your shoulder and then barely relax from now till the end of time.
To this day I’ve never shot a rifle or pistol without remembering his words and that first shot of the 44. Thanks Dad.
My first deer rifle was Timber Classic Marlin. My father told me about caring shoulder but I was young and was in a hurry. It was good life lesson:) that I won't forget.
For now I have another rifle with great smart optic X-SIGHT 4K PRO 3-14X from ATN. I accepted my friend advice and bought this great tool there https://www.atncorp.com/smart-hd-optics
It's really big step for me because I am convinced that the old classics are always better. I was totally wrong. I'm impressed with this tool:)

Last edited:

44magpastor

I have one of the older, tube fed Ruger carbines. Outstanding little rifle. I scoped it with a Leupold FX2 4 power. I shoot 240 or 225 Hornady JHPs. My experience has been, deer and hogs don't go far, when hit with one of these rounds.

Unquestionably, one of my favorite rifles.

krizia829

I have one of the older, tube fed Ruger carbines. Outstanding little rifle. I scoped it with a Leupold FX2 4 power. I shoot 240 or 225 Hornady JHPs. My experience has been, deer and hogs don't go far, when hit with one of these rounds.

Unquestionably, one of my favorite rifles.
Awesome! I will be taking it this year to the woods! Let's see how I do!