45-70 reloading info?

jmoser

Try Hogdons website - good selection of bullets and powders to start.
I load a lot of 45-70, what type of load are you thinking of ?

I go for 350-400 gr at 1600-1900 fps myself.

Taking the 1895 Guide Gun to Tx for hogs next week, 400 gr Speer JFP hits like a 12 ga slug at 1600.

fishtail

As for the book, you need more than one.
LoadBooksUSA for the 45-70 is one I’d suggest.

You really need a scale for getting more accurate measurements than the dipper spoon does.

Depending on the firearm used, you may also need the Lee factory crimp die. But this also requires a press.

The reality is, you are going to need more and more stuff as you go along. A dial caliper will become a must.

I’d really suggest starting out with a press kit that fits your budget. Then you can add to it as the need arises. My stuff is a mix from almost every manufacturer.

Last edited:

jmoser

As for the book, you need more than one.
LoadBooksUSA for the 45-70 is one I’d suggest.

You really need a scale for getting more accurate measurements than the dipper spoon does.

Depending on the firearm used, you may also need the Lee factory crimp die. But this also requires a press.

The reality is, you are going to need more and more stuff as you go along. A dial caliper will become a must.

I’d really suggest starting out with a press kit that fits your budget. Then you can add to it as the need arises. My stuff is a mix from almost every manufacturer.

For medium 45-70 loads the Lee load hand kit may be fine. Shoot for a mid range powder charge and the hand dipper will be within a couple grains. Not winning matches but fine for hunting, just make sure you are targeting at least 3-4 grains under max.

As for COL use bullet with crimp groove and eyeball seating there.

Hand press and classic caliber kit both for less than $100, add powder bullets and primers for another $50 get 100 rds of ammo.

But Yes- a powder scale and calipers are very much recommended.

fishtail

If I get a lee-loader kit for the 45-70,what other tools would I need?
I just looked, thinking I might get a peek at the load data. It's not recommended for lever guns.

"Please note: The Classic Lee Loader neck sizes only. This is not recommended for semi-auto, pump and lever action guns."

rosewood

Could go with the Lee Challenger kit, single stage that you can load just about anything on. If you go with the Lee wack-a-mole, you can only load that 1 caliber and are half way to the cost of a Challenger.

I cast my own boolits and shoot a 405 grain (actual weight 416grains) with 34 grains of RL7, which is on the low end of the load data and it gets around the velocity you are wanting and is pleasant to shoot. You can also find load data on the Alliant webpage. I have a single shot Handi in 45-70 and it is quite accurate, I have never tried my load in a lever gun though.

Rosewood

Nimrod71

I use a 45-70 often and have been loading for them for over 30 yrs. They are great guns. I recommend the lee single stage loader. It makes the process much easier and you can expand your reloading needs and you go. A scale is a must if you are loading for a lever gun. I like the Sierra 300 gr bullets. I use the sierra reloading manuel. My favorite load is 48 gr. of IMR 4198