450 marlin

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I think nearly the same ballistics, much less common.
At least you can't blow up an old firearm with a moderately hot load...

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
If you talking lever actions lots of similarity. If you talking modern falling block rifles the 45/70 is way more gun. 400 grain bullets pushing 1900 FPS is 45/70 work.

Buckman18

I have both the 450 and 45-70.

Ballistically, the 450 is basically a 45-70 loaded to its full potential. It was created so folks didn’t blow up their old 45-70’s that couldn’t handle the higher pressures. Marlin, at one time had several lever action models available, and NEF/ H&R offered it in their single shot. The 450 has a belted case, that is based off of one of the wildcat 458’s from around ~20 yr ago. The popularity of the 450 didn’t take off, and there are not very many factory loads now.

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
I guess i did have it backwards and report fake news. If you compare this factory fodder the .450 marlin is 175 fps faster.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/45-70-government-325-gr-ftx-leverevolution#!/

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/450-marlin-325-gr-ftx-leverevolution#!/

When I look at some load data for hand loading for a lever gun it is not too hard to find a load that will surpass that factory offering of speed for the .45-70 and beat out the 450 Marlin just a tad.

In fact in the Hornady #9 that same bullet above will reach 2150 fps with several powders for the .45-70. On the other hand the 450 Marlin only reaches 2100 fps with only 1 powder in their testing in an 1895 Marlin.

maybe it wasn't so fake after all

JackSprat

I guess i did have it backwards and report fake news. If you compare this factory fodder the .450 marlin is 175 fps faster.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/45-70-government-325-gr-ftx-leverevolution#!/

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/450-marlin-325-gr-ftx-leverevolution#!/

When I look at some load data for hand loading for a lever gun it is not too hard to find a load that will surpass that factory offering of speed for the .45-70 and beat out the 450 Marlin just a tad.

In fact in the Hornady #9 that same bullet above will reach 2150 fps with several powders for the .45-70. On the other hand the 450 Marlin only reaches 2100 fps with only 1 powder in their testing in an 1895 Marlin.

When you really need to loosen your teeth:

1540830665804.png

NCMTNHunter

I had one, sold it and wish I hadn’t. It was a nice rifle. Shot really well. Recoil was stiff but manageable. Like others have said it is basically a 45-70+P.

oppthepop

I had one and sold it - really don't miss it. I have a Henry all steel 45/70 that works fine for me with the Hornady Lever Evolution load.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I have 450 marlin. It's cool, recoil reminds me of turkey magnum. Hold it snug in the shoulder or it'll rattle your fillings.
450 marlin was built to go as deep into a grizzly as possible
I wish I could find more Hornady Superformance for mine.

Thanks for all of your responses gentlemen. I had never heard of a 450 Marlin. I never knew they made one until now. I picked up 2 boxes of 45/70, I thought, and one was a 450. I have a 45/70 and a 35 also. Looks like I need a 450 to use my shells now!

If you do actually pick up a .450, I'll highly recommend the BLR platform for the rifle. I've owned the .45-70 in 1895 & 1895G and Ruger #1, .444 in .444S and .444P and .450 in 1895M and BLR and the BLR is the best IMHO.

The action is smoother, with a shorter lever throw than the Marlin. I also prefer the ease of loading and unloading with the DM of the BLR as well. As for performance, you'd have to purchase ammo from BB (at double the cost) or handload 45-70 to equal the factory .450 load that's relatively easy to find online.

I was pretty impressed with the performance I got from the FTX 325gr bullet out of the Hornady LeverEvolution load that I took a very large Georgia boar with earlier this year. Full penetration through that nearly 300 pound boar with it's significant shield at 120 yards.Resized952018021895085412-2.jpg

Last edited:

Of course, they don't, like with the 45-70, list loads ABOVE what the Marlin in .450 can take, like if it's chambered in the BLR, which also chambers the .300WM and 300WSM among it's choices.

kinross

I had one for a while. It was i think the guide gun and had a ported barrel. It only took one shot to realize that it needed a simms recoil pad, not pleasant at all. Ear plugs were a must. After shooting a few pigs with it i sold it , easy to carry no fun to shoot.

killerv

I recently had a chance at one in a used marlin guide gun. But then I thought about how punishing it would be with that english stock.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
First I want to apologize to the OP if the conversation drifted.
That was never my intention and I distain "know it alls."

I admit a bias towards the 45/70. I have had the gun of my forum name for over 20 years but have owned lever guns as well and shot both calibers. I enjoy the 45/70 with factory loads.

Further, I don't advocate shooting the hot loads the Rugers can handle unless you have a specific reason, grizzlies, godzilla or zombies, you get the idea.

My Ruger#3 45/70 has been fitted for me with a good recoil pad. It was needed!
I also think hunting with a single shot has made me a better hunter.

Here's some data for those brave souls that might want a zombie stopper, more available at Barnes.

4570.JPG

Last edited:

jpm2953

I have a 450 marlin. 1895m. Love that thing. It is a hammer! Like others said, it’s a hot rod 45-70 for those who don’t want to reload.

If you do actually pick up a .450, I'll highly recommend the BLR platform for the rifle. I've owned the .45-70 in 1895 & 1895G and Ruger #1, .444 in .444S and .444P and .450 in 1895M and BLR and the BLR is the best IMHO.

The action is smoother, with a shorter lever throw than the Marlin. I also prefer the ease of loading and unloading with the DM of the BLR as well. As for performance, you'd have to purchase ammo from BB (at double the cost) or handload 45-70 to equal the factory .450 load that's relatively easy to find online.

I was pretty impressed with the performance I got from the FTX 325gr bullet out of the Hornady LeverEvolution load that I took a very large Georgia boar with earlier this year. Full penetration through that nearly 300 pound boar with it's significant shield at 120 yards.View attachment 948327
Fine looking rifle. I have always admired the BLR. Never have seen them in the field that often. I think the price point of the 336 and 94 were so much lower the blr was always a hard sell. I would enjoy owning a 450 or 45/70 for the cool factor but considering a 30-30 only produces 8 ft/lbs of recoil vs 35ft/lbs, I'm going to stick with what I have. 35ft/lbs is about right for 12 ga magnum turkey loads. That just hurts from a bench.

Last edited: