45LC or 357 magnum

seaweaver

The .45 might be easier to find as it has a select following and there were quite as few made to keep up w/ SAS demand...
I would not hesitate to take a doe at 140 w/ my .357 w/ a clear broadside shot w/ the 158g. I scoped it for my son w/ he was 6 and was astounded how accurate it is.
cw

Jimmyp

For a stalking carbine, which will be the better gun at 60 to 80 yards for deer?

my friend if your up to hit with your rifle either will work the same. The 357 catridge is more readily found in box stores. Then if you have or want a companion pistol its easier to find one in 357.

Suggestion buy the 357 and you will be able to practice more with it, recoil is non existent. I have owned or own the 44 magnum and 357 in the Marlin offering.

Folks get all worked up about this sort of stuff, in reality the ability to kill a deer or pig rests in the skilled hands of the hunter not on the bore diameter or the velocity. Buy what makes sense to you in a practical way and ignore the drumbeat of "more power". In most cases with cartridges and modern bullets "less is more".

EMC-GUN

I have seen .357Mag pistols that shot very accurately at 100yds. So then you have to think of a rifle- Longer sight radius, more barrel to get the most out of your propellant, ability to scope. A .357 will kill. I have a mold for a 190gr. FN cast bullet in .358. 190gr. bullet at around 1300fps will sail through a deer.

Sargent

I would not hesitate to take a doe at 140 w/ my .357 w/ a clear broadside shot w/ the 158g. I scoped it for my son w/ he was 6 and was astounded how accurate it is.
cw

This can't be right... The bullet in question should bounce off a deer @ 140 yards like a BB.

GAR

45LC or 357

The current "Handloader" magazine that just came out has an article that basically follows this thread.

Interesting reading!

GAR

abrannon

Either will do, but I believe the advantage goes to the 45LC. If you want a little more punch from either consider Hornady's Leverlusion Bullets.

By the way just imagine all the deer and other animals that have been killed by Lever action rifles chambered in 45 LC and 44-40 over the last 140 years...