45LC or 357 magnum

DS7418

Gone But Not Forgotten
357 mag

jmoser

In the same gun I would go 45 Colt with hot 300 XTPs, zero it at 75 yards. Hands down a better deer setup than a .357 carbine.

Wiskey_33

If you don't reload, .357 will be easier to find that .45 LC.

Sargent

.357... just because I have one.

...and .357 is more versatile.

chuckdog

Neither, trade one for something more suitable for a humane kill. I know either will kill a deer, but neither really qualifies for ethical deer hunting in my book. This is assuming factory loads. If you're loading the .45 at magnum velocities, it would be my choice.

yaknfish

Looking at the Buffalo Bore website:
357Mag, 180 gr. @ 1,400fps/M.E. 783 ft. lbs
45Colt, 325 gr. @ 1,325fps/M.E. 1,267 ft.lbs

Looks like the 45 has considerably more thump. And while a 38 may expand to .45 inch, a 45 ain't gonna shrink.

Jason280

Hands down, .45 Colt. Even if you don't reload, you can still buy hot loaded ammo for the old Colt round that makes the .357 look like a varmint round.

Wiskey_33

Neither, trade one for something more suitable for a humane kill. I know either will kill a deer, but neither really qualifies for ethical deer hunting in my book. This is assuming factory loads. If you're loading the .45 at magnum velocities, it would be my choice.

What does qualify if the .45 LC doesn't?

Larry Rooks

I have killed many deer and hogs with the Ruger BH in 45
Colt with narry a problem, all one shot kills and all recovered. Seems to me that if it works that good out of a 4 5/8" barrel, out of a carbine it ought to be awesome. It is plenty of gun for sure

JWarren

45lc with a mid range cast bullet handload 1000-1100fps is all you need. It is not necessary to use the highest pressure rounds to have a deadly round from the 45lc....much better choice than the .357IMO.

chuckdog

A standard velocity 45 Colt will kill a deer @ 80 yards. Never said it wouldn't. I just don't understand why anyone would want to hunt with a marginally powered handgun cartridge from a rifle. Putting a handgun cartridge in a rifle for deer hunting is legal, so go for it if that's what you want. It's just not enough power for a deer rifle cartridge "IN MY OPINION." Get a rifle cartridge for a rifle. It's just my opinion of responsible, ethical, humane hunting.

Larry Rooks

What is the difference. A large Caliber handgun that is legal and has plenty of power to CLEANLY take the deer,
the 45 Colt, and then put that same load into a rifle, it makes it even stronger (More velocity by a good bit) All
know the 44 mag is an awesome handgun caliber more or less designed to hunt with. Put it in a rifle and it's even
stronger. Same with the 45 Colt or 357 Mag. To qualify as a deer round is doee NOT have to be bottlenecked and shoot 3000 fps. A hard cast bullet from a 45 Colt will kill em as dead as any caliber, just limited to range, BUT, since hunting with a handgun, you know that from the beginning. The 45 Colt is more than suitable

chuckdog

What is the difference. A large Caliber handgun that is legal and has plenty of power to CLEANLY take the deer,
the 45 Colt, and then put that same load into a rifle, it makes it even stronger (More velocity by a good bit) All
know the 44 mag is an awesome handgun caliber more or less designed to hunt with. Put it in a rifle and it's even
stronger. Same with the 45 Colt or 357 Mag. To qualify as a deer round is doee NOT have to be bottlenecked and shoot 3000 fps. A hard cast bullet from a 45 Colt will kill em as dead as any caliber, just limited to range, BUT, since hunting with a handgun, you know that from the beginning. The 45 Colt is more than suitable

Fine in a handgun at handgun ranges, I just can't see it at rifle ranges. Puttin' it in a rifle changes my perception of it. I believe people will be too tempted to take longer shots. I couldn't care less what you want to hunt with, the fellow asked what we thought and I answered. I'm moving on. I think I'm still entitled to disagree with some or all of you, aren't I?

JWarren

BTW, OP said the rifle would be used for stalking....stalking is typically a close range situation, otherwise he would probably opt for his bolt action due to range supremacy.

thurmongene

Thank you to all. I've been wanting a lever gun and thought one of the two in question would be worth a thought. I do have a .44 magnum Ruger carbine and an awsome bolt rifle in .260 For real world function, this lever gun would only be for show and to use at the range.

JWarren

For real world function, this lever gun would only be for show and to use at the range.

I thought you said stalking in the original thread. If it is only for shooting at the range and to look at, what difference does the caliber make? :huh:

thurmongene

Yeah well O K, maybe I will get the confidence, but I will have to really put in the range rounds first. Then YEAH, a stalking gun it will become.instead ot the .44 sometimes.