4wt recommendations?

AllTerrainAngler

I will be traveling to NC in a couple weeks for my birthday weekend. I've been cheating and using my 8wt rigged for trout in north Ga but I would like to pick up an affordable 4wt and FAST since I'm only off a few days here and there before next friday. Any recommendations on a decent entry level 4wt that will do what I need is appreciated. I've found redington crosswaters and the orvis equivalent but none in stock locally.

JonathanG2013

I will be traveling to NC in a couple weeks for my birthday weekend. I've been cheating and using my 8wt rigged for trout in north Ga but I would like to pick up an affordable 4wt and FAST since I'm only off a few days here and there before next friday. Any recommendations on a decent entry level 4wt that will do what I need is appreciated. I've found redington crosswaters and the orvis equivalent but none in stock locally.

What about going to Cabela's or bass pro?

AllTerrainAngler

What about going to Cabela's or bass pro?

Basspro is an hour and a half. No cabelas where I'm at. I have a dunhams...
I'm off Monday and Tuesday of next week but Monday I will be guiding a hog hunt and Tuesday I am taking someone up north to fish. I will probably swing by Cabelas up there but I would still like a recommendation on a decent rod/reel to purchase.

Esau

TFO is a very good rod at an excellent price in my opinion. I also like the whiteriver combos at Bass pro and the Cabela's combos are pretty good.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Most of the cabela’s combos are very good for the money, as are the TFOs.

Go to a fly shop, give them a budget and start casting. Way too many variables to get accurate info here. The Bass pro and Cabelas combos are junk.

Where are you located? I can probably recommend a fly shop.

AllTerrainAngler

Go to a fly shop, give them a budget and start casting. Way too many variables to get accurate info here. The Bass pro and Cabelas combos are junk.

The only fly shop near me is rivers and glen in savannah. I'm not looking for a top of the line rod right this minute. I just got a helios 3 for saltwater s no need to go crazy right now.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Says the man who has never used a Cabela's combo. Let's not go through this again. He's wanting an affordable fly rod that will catch fish, not a Orvis or Winston or Sage. And he's not going to Montana or Colorado. Our tiny inferior NC fish aren't snobbish, they'll bite on cheap gear.

Last edited:
Says the man who has never used a Cabela's combo. Let's not go through this again. He's wanting an affordable fly rod that will catch fish, not a Orvis or Winston or Sage. And he's not going to Montana or Colorado. Our tiny inferior NC fish aren't snobbish, they'll bite on cheap gear.

Good Lord, here you go again. I didn’t tell him to get one of those. I told him to find one that fits him.

Buy the junker they are recommending and throw it in the trash when you get back or call the guys at Rivers and Glen and see if they have a 4wt Clearwater or Redington Voyant in stock if you like the Helios. They carry both, and neither will break the bank. You’ll also have a rod capable of doing more than sling shotting between laurel bushes.

FARMS100

I have got a SYNCH COMBO 5wt THAT I THINK IS A GOOD ROD COMBO FOR $150
THE REEL HAS A GOOD DRAG. MINE IS 8'6" AND COME WITH A CASE TO KEEP IT IN.
IT COMES FROM CABALIS, WITH LIFETIME WARRENTRY.
AL

I just checked what cabalis had and they have 2 rods in your range.
I have both and seem to be nice beginner rods.
BIG HORN ROD IS $69 REG $99
SYNCH $99 REG. $149

Last edited:
I don't think brand matters so much as how it feels/casts and finding a good deal. I have one Cabela's and one BPS White River rod and they are both great. The only downside is they no longer have a warranty. It may be nice to spring for something with a warranty, but performance wise, they are all very similar.

flyrod444

I own around 20 rods that I use as a guide. Brands are Orvis, Sage, Loomis, Winston, and Redington. The one rod I pick up the most for personal use is a 9' 4 wt redington hydrogen. At $300.00 retail it is a bit over entry level price, but I prefer it to many rods that cost way more than twice it's price tag. Fenwick Aetos are another great rod for around $160.00. I would try and find a shop or person that have rods in this weight that will let you try them out. If you plan on coming to NC find a shop that is located there and buy one on arivial. I work out of one that has a wide range of rods to pick from.

Just wanted to add, I have cast rods that only cost $20 that surprised me how well they cast and high end rods that surprised me how poorly they cast. One of the later rods was a high end 9' 4 wt that I and another guide thought it's best use was to kill snakes with.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I own around 20 rods that I use as a guide. Brands are Orvis, Sage, Loomis, Winston, and Redington. The one rod I pick up the most for personal use is a 9' 4 wt redington hydrogen. At $300.00 retail it is a bit over entry level price, but I prefer it to many rods that cost way more than twice it's price tag. Fenwick Aetos are another great rod for around $160.00. I would try and find a shop or person that have rods in this weight that will let you try them out. If you plan on coming to NC find a shop that is located there and buy one on arivial. I work out of one that has a wide range of rods to pick from.

Just wanted to add, I have cast rods that only cost $20 that surprised me how well they cast and high end rods that surprised me how poorly they cast. One of the later rods was a high end 9' 4 wt that I and another guide thought it's best use was to kill snakes with.
Have you ever cast a Cabela's rod?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Good Lord, here you go again. I didn’t tell him to get one of those. I told him to find one that fits him.

Buy the junker they are recommending and throw it in the trash when you get back or call the guys at Rivers and Glen and see if they have a 4wt Clearwater or Redington Voyant in stock if you like the Helios. They carry both, and neither will break the bank. You’ll also have a rod capable of doing more than sling shotting between laurel bushes.
I have a Redington that I love. I spent a couple years casting a nice Orvis that got stolen. I have also cast Cabela's rods that are better at half the price. You can't call it junk if you haven't tried it, dude. We know, you are the fly god, and would die before you would fish with a non top-end rod, and only fish in top-end trophy trout destinations. It gets old. The rest of us are not rich, and are content with equipment that works at a decent price to catch normal trout in normal places.

flyrod444

I used Cabela's for several years until I got into guiding. I built them from the kits back in the early 80s. They where great rods. When I got into guiding I had to start using rods sold by the shops I worked out of. The last Cabela's rod I had was given to a friend that lost his. Buying rods over the years has added up.

I have a Redington that I love. I spent a couple years casting a nice Orvis that got stolen. I have also cast Cabela's rods that are better at half the price. You can't call it junk if you haven't tried it, dude. We know, you are the fly god, and would die before you would fish with a non top-end rod, and only fish in top-end trophy trout destinations. It gets old. The rest of us are not rich, and are content with equipment that works at a decent price to catch normal trout in normal places.

I went home with a fat girl one time...wouldn’t do it again, nor would I brag about it. Some of us have standards in our equipment and women I guess.

Never fished private water for trout either, but I’ve been fortunate to travel and fish plenty of places. Guess it pays to have friends...Not going to have a rod measuring contest with a less than mediocre braggart pimping junk.

Got nothing to prove, but for you to say some Cabelas discount combo is the same quality as better rods is pure stupidity and ignorance. When your flipping yellow sallies and don’t need a good rod your junker is fine. When you need a rod that you can actually cast it’s not the best option.

You actually proved my point. Apparently the NC hills is all you fish. Some of us fish different places. My rods work fine in your environment.

Last edited:

Tentwing

AllTerrainAngler Cabelas make a moderately priced rod that cast well for the money . Their LST series feel a lot like the old Sage SLT's. I'm a huge fan of the Redington Classic Trout rods the action is nearly identical to my old Sage Light Line. I bought a used Redington Classic Trout in an 8 &1/2 foot four weight that quickly was taken over by my wife after one fishing trip. I decided to get another one because I liked it so much. I have since bought a Redington CT for each of my grandkids.

I hope you have a great trip Tentwing