6.4 Powerstroke opinions

someguyintraffic

Whats the good or bad?

Looking to add second lightly used work hauler. 110k miles. 15 ,900 6.4 4x4.

Whats the word?

someguyintraffic

Yikes
How can they be this bad? The 6.0s were bad now the 6.4s? Guess Ill pay and arm a leg for a low miles 01 02 7.3. Regular maitenance and no problems on mine. 245k?

someguyintraffic

If I could find a 6.0 that had been studded and not boosted to death Id entertain it. What is wrong with a 6.0 that hasnt been tuned and modded and molested?

Last edited:

buckpasser

I’ve had some in my care that needed lots of money to operate. Never heard of one that just worked without constant attention. My Dad was a Ford dealership service manager and had stated that they are junk.

someguyintraffic

So what would be the problem with a stock never modded 6.0? All the bullet proofing fan boys are the ones that found out doubling cylinder pressures with tunes is what the lifted heads. I dont want to drag race a truck. Why would I bullet proof a stock properly maintained truck. I have found so e more 7.3s but just cant bring myself to buy a 01 02 truck, already have early 03 7.3 bone stock. Looking at 06 07 6.0 stock.

DAWG1419

So what would be the problem with a stock never modded 6.0? All the bullet proofing fan boys are the ones that found out doubling cylinder pressures with tunes is what the lifted heads. I dont want to drag race a truck. Why would I bullet proof a stock properly maintained truck. I have found so e more 7.3s but just cant bring myself to buy a 01 02 truck, already have early 03 7.3 bone stock. Looking at 06 07 6.0 stock.

I have one these trucks a 2004 to be exact and it’s all that and then some. As good as both my 7.3’s. That’s why I asked about your budget.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
No no no. Did I mention no. Not just head gaskets with those but entire engine problems with those. Friend of mine is owns a diesel repair shop. Bleeds for blue. He drives a duramax

transfixer

I don't think you can depend on ANY of the newer diesel engines being as dependable and trouble free as the older 7.3 was, ever since the government got involved in making them lower diesel emissions it has all went to h e double hockey sticks, even the low sulfur fuel is a losing proposition, it doesn't seem to develop the power the older fuel did. I sold my last 7.3 a few months ago, I'll not buy another diesel again, and at one time you couldn't give me a gas fueled pickup. I've not spoken to anyone who has a Ford 6.7 that says they are getting anywhere close to decent fuel mileage out of those. And the 6R140 trans they are using will cost you dearly when it gives trouble.

95g atl

If you're not towing a bunch of weight (IE: over 10k lbs daily), the gas powered 6.2 Ford is a great engine.
Yeah fuel economy isn't a diesel, but you won't have to work on it and maintain it nearly as much.

Just my 2 cents.

BBowen

I have had 2 6.0 trucks and currently drive one today. There great trucks if well treated and properly Maintained, had an 06 and drive a 03 now and its actually bone stock with 230k on it with nothing done to it. although i would like to delete it and stud it if it ever shows problems.
you can find the 05-07 trucks a great prices that need deleted and bulletproofed and spend about 5k on it and have a great reliable truck.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I bought a 2000 f250 a couple months ago with the 7.3 Guy said the block is cracked. Got it for a steal. Sure enough it was cracked above the starter. It's in the shop now getting a used 7.3 with 150,000 miles and an 18 month warranty on the engine. I'll have just over $10,000 in it and plan on running it for years. My brothers are all Ford nuts and wouldn't recommend any of the new Diesel engines