6.5 Creedmoor For Short Range Deer?

bullgator

Just get a decent cartridge and a quality firearm and go practice until you know that setup like an old friend. To many people worry about comparing calibers which is crazy for whitetails at Georgia ranges.

wallacem

actually, the 6.5 creedmore is 99% the same thing as a 6.5 swedish mauser or a 260 rem. all three do the same thing. and the new 350 legend, balistic twin to the 35 rem. blah, humbug.

Bigbendgyrene

Bought a 6.5 C two years ago and killed 4 nice bucks and at least half a dozen hogs with it to date. Majority of the shots were between 50 to 150 yards, so haven't really had to take advantage of the long distance capabilities. Single shot kill with every shot fired. Seriously has fired like a laser beam, with all my shots hitting precisely where I was aiming.

Though everything was killed with a single shot, have had variation in blood trails with game that ran. Some left good blood trails while others left little blood until they dropped (for what it's worth, good blood where found). That said, nothing made it more than 100 yards and at least half dropped right where shot.

Chief Osceola.jpg

M77 Ruger

I own a tikka t3x in 6.5 creed and it’s the most accurate rifle I own. I cut the same holes that you could cover with a nickel at 200 yards cand l am no sniper. I have only shot 2 deer with it a 243lb buck and a doe. Both between 170 yards and 200 yards. Neither took another step. Time will tell though if it will be my go to as my 25-06 shoots almost as good but has been a proven killer for me

Big7

The Oracle
With the same twist and properly throated barrels, I don't believe the 6.5 Creedmoor has any advantage over the 260 Remington. The very slight difference in powder capacity between the 2 "could" be negated by velocities generated by the individual barrels.

The 6.5 Creedmoor and 260 Remington are too close to call a clear cut winner. The winner will come down to the individual barrel and rifle. They are both winners IMHO.

First, my thoughts. It's just as deadly at closer range as cartridges that are basically their ballistic equals. That would be the 260 Rem and 6.5X55. And although it's only a 6MM, The .243 Winchester will cover all those same bases. A 175- 225 pound dear ain't really all that hard to kill.

Bill Mc

I own a tikka t3x in 6.5 creed and it’s the most accurate rifle I own. I cut the same holes that you could cover with a nickel at 200 yards cand l am no sniper. I have only shot 2 deer with it a 243lb buck and a doe. Both between 170 yards and 200 yards. Neither took another step. Time will tell though if it will be my go to as my 25-06 shoots almost as good but has been a proven killer for me

That's what I'm shooting with 129 gr Hornadys. 5 deer shot, 5 deer down. No tracking. But I'm shooting high behind the shoulder which destroys the lungs and shocks the spine.

That Swede is a fine round.

Buckman18

I sure hope Winchester XP’s work well because I bought a bunch of them for my new 6.5.

They are glorious in a 308 and 270 WSM, so no reason to think they wouldn’t work well in a 6.5. $18 at Walmart.

Bowyer29

I sure hope Winchester XP’s work well because I bought a bunch of them for my new 6.5.

They are glorious in a 308 and 270 WSM, so no reason to think they wouldn’t work well in a 6.5. $18 at Walmart.
that's what I have killed my deer with. The 125 grain.
They work well, 40 yards to just over 250 so far.

Dub

140gr Berger VLD Elite Hunter

45-110yds

It’s laid them all down so far. 5 for 5 no deer left eyesight between me an my brother. I shot 5 different loads my gun shoots the 140s into bug holes never switched they hammer though.

6.5 creedmoor xbolt western hunter.

Bergers came into play while I was on a reloading hiatus.

They seem to get nothing but huge praise from folks when it comes to downrange accuracy.

Are you getting exit holes with yours ?

My favorite load from my reloading days was 140gr Nosler BT in my .270win. I didn't always get an exit wound....but it'd turn out the lights sure'nuff. I loved those Nosler BT's in my .270. I didn't love 'em once I started running the 120-140 in 7mmSTW & 7RUM. Pretty sure I was well above the impact velocity that Nosler designed them for at the sub 200yd ranges I was shooting them.

Anyway....enough of my rambling. I was just glad to hear a strong hunting endorsement on a bullet that flies true. Thanks.

I may give a couple boxes a try on some future load workups.

deast1988

Bergers came into play while I was on a reloading hiatus.

They seem to get nothing but huge praise from folks when it comes to downrange accuracy.

Are you getting exit holes with yours ?

My favorite load from my reloading days was 140gr Nosler BT in my .270win. I didn't always get an exit wound....but it'd turn out the lights sure'nuff. I loved those Nosler BT's in my .270. I didn't love 'em once I started running the 120-140 in 7mmSTW & 7RUM. Pretty sure I was well above the impact velocity that Nosler designed them for at the sub 200yd ranges I was shooting them.

Anyway....enough of my rambling. I was just glad to hear a strong hunting endorsement on a bullet that flies true. Thanks.

I may give a couple boxes a try on some future load workups.

4 exits on 6 deer. For my rig. 2 head on shots in the chest didn’t exit but exploded the insides.

High shoulder heavy bone exit, ribs an in the crease exits.

I’m impressed seeing what the creed has done for me an my buddies I’ve let use it. It’s on game performance I’d compare somewhere between a .308 an a 7/08.

Reactions: Dub

SC Hunter

4 exits on 6 deer. For my rig. 2 head on shots in the chest didn’t exit but exploded the insides.

High shoulder heavy bone exit, ribs an in the crease exits.

I’m impressed seeing what the creed has done for me an my buddies I’ve let use it. It’s on game performance I’d compare somewhere between a .308 an a 7/08.

I shot one deer last year with my creedmoor at about 120 yards give or take a few yards. I shot her on the edge of a grown up field with grass about 2 and a half feet tall. I shot her behind the shoulder about mid ways up. She made it about 60 yards into the field trying to get back into the woods. I hit her with a berger and everything was mush I have no idea how she ran off. I sold that rifle and will be getting another one, I had the ruger American I'll likely get a 700 or browning.

GunnSmokeer

...Bottom line, there is NO magic cartridge or bullet...

4B7C3B02-3AA7-4896-9646-F21EB175AFD2.jpeg

I think this 20 mm round would work like magic, and the deer won't make you chase them and follow blood trails after taking a hit from one of these.