6.5 creedmoor

SC Hunter

I fell into the world of the creedmoor trading into a ruger american 6.5. I'm wondering what ammo everybody is shooting through theirs. This will be primarily used by my stepson deer hunting and I'll carry it some, hunting distances anywhere from 30-200 yards.

wareagle700

I load most of what I hunt with now but the Hornady 143 ELD-X is a good choice as is the Hornady 147gr EDL match load for factory ammo. I've had mixed results with Fusion (although my 308 loves it) and the Hornady American Whitetail, but pretty much anything else loaded with a good bullet will work.

Pick up a few boxes and see what shoots best in your rifle.

pdsniper

I hand load everything I hunt with most of the time, and my hunting load that has worked fantastic so far has been the 100 gn Sierra FB HP Varminter light recoil crazy accuracy and so far has dropped everything I shot with it, I did load some 143 ELDX Hornady's for a close friend in Montana for my Savage Ultra light hunter I sold him to hunt Elk with and they shot incredible but had noticeably more recoil but great accuracy

Powerline

When I picked mine up this year only thing I could find at the time was Winchester deer season xp’s. They are driving nails in my Ruger Hawkeye preditor. I have not had a chance to shoot a deer yet but killed a coyote last week with them and perfect performance. I now have couple of boxes of the ELDX loads but haven’t shot them yet.

SC Hunter

I'm going to shoot a few different rounds through the gun and see what it likes. I have shot 4 deer with my 7mm-08 with the American whitetails and haven't been impressed with them or the fusions in 243. I'll see what the gun likes and go from there.

killerv

I'm going to shoot a few different rounds through the gun and see what it likes. I have shot 4 deer with my 7mm-08 with the American whitetails and haven't been impressed with them or the fusions in 243. I'll see what the gun likes and go from there.

Where in the world are you aiming? Both of those should stomp a deer.

I would have the kept the 708 over a 6.5

SC Hunter

Killerv hitting them right behind the shoulder like normal. I've killed over 30 deer with a 243 and probably 10 with the 7mm-08. I just wasnt impressed with the fusions or American whitetails. I still have the 7mm-08 in fact its propped up beside me in the stand as I type this. Only difference is it's got an accubond in it right now.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Where in the world are you aiming? Both of those should stomp a deer.

I would have the kept the 708 over a 6.5

I've shot a handful of deer with my 7mm-08 and the American Whitetails, and have been extremely impressed. I have great entry/exit wounds and massive internal damage. They are probably my 2nd favorite behind the Winchester Power Max, but they have discontinued them.

plumber_1969

I am not a long distance guy at all. I will tell you that I shot a cow elk at 614 yards with a 6.5 creedmore this year in New Mexico with the guides gun and a CDS scope. she dropped and flopped. That cow was a massive animal compared to our whitetails. I did have to put in a finishing shot when I got to her.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I will tell you that I shot a cow elk at 614 yards with a 6.5 creedmore this year in New Mexico with the guides gun and a CDS scope.

Do you know what bullet was used in the load for the 614 yard shot?

I like the Whitetail load in the SP bullet instead of the SST bullet. They are both interlock bullets. Accubonds are a good choice too.

Last edited:

Brother David

We're are dropping everything we shoot with Hornady 129 sst Super performance . Two are Ruger American predators and they absolutely love the ammo .

Buckstop

Have been handloading 143 eldx hornady’s. Very accurate in my Savage Varmint. Havent hunted with them yet. Will shoot a doe or two in a few weeks and see how they do. I load the same bullets for a friends 6.5-284 who has killed a cpl bucks with them at 200 yrds. Both went 20 yrds n piled up. Heavy internal damage.

Powerline

Shot my first deer with my 6.5 this morning, 100 lb Doe. About 85 or 90 yards right behind the shoulder with 125 grain Winchester Deer Season XP, the deer looked to be hammered hard made a hard run of about 45 yards and crashed. Made a good shot the bullet exited, plenty of blood trail. As a 7mm-08 guy I would say very close performance to my 7mm-08’s. I’m happy really enjoying this little round it’s so accurate hard not to!

SC Hunter

Shot my first deer with my 6.5 this morning, 100 lb Doe. About 85 or 90 yards right behind the shoulder with 125 grain Winchester Deer Season XP, the deer looked to be hammered hard made a hard run of about 45 yards and crashed. Made a good shot the bullet exited, plenty of blood trail. As a 7mm-08 guy I would say very close performance to my 7mm-08’s. I’m happy really enjoying this little round it’s so accurate hard not to!

That's good to hear. I have a box of corelokts, American whitetails, and Winchester xps. We'll see what it likes to shoot and go from there. I'll try it out in the next week or so.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Wife also shot her first with the 6.5 this weekend. 3 year old buck shot at about 50 yards broadside. Perfect lung/heart area shot and the deer ran around 50 yards and was done. She was using the American Whitetail 129 gr.

M77 Ruger

I am using hornady ELDx 143 out of my tikka 6.5 creedmoor. I have shot 2 deer this year and neither took another step9EC353EC-CC6D-4DC9-8649-5BBBAFB37E0D.jpeg3789051A-0992-4785-9F6C-F37C63EDA7B7.jpeg3789051A-0992-4785-9F6C-F37C63EDA7B7.jpeg

Last edited:

deast1988

5 deer have been taken with my xbolt creedmoor. All 5 down within sight.
Farthest was a high an back double lung.

I've shot straight into chest, hard quartering towards. Perfect broadside am high shoulder.

My gun runs copper creek loaded 140gr Berger elite hunter VLDs.

Here's a buck my bro shot this week, point of shoulder quartering towards him. Deer went 10yds maybe. Internals were trashed.

Attachments

• 55BDC338-435B-4DA1-A4B4-3A44F9ECCD97.jpeg
    55BDC338-435B-4DA1-A4B4-3A44F9ECCD97.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 21
  • 3A89532E-3AD1-4B60-84A5-2EF8945578A3.jpeg
    3A89532E-3AD1-4B60-84A5-2EF8945578A3.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 18

fiddlinduke

Shot my first deer with a T/C Compass creedmore and a 147ELD this year. 200+ lb 8 pt. Slightly quartering, almost straight at me at 20 yds high front shoulder shot. Ran about 50 yds. Destroyed the shoulder and massive internal damageIMG_1383.JPG

plumber_1969

Do you know what bullet was used in the load for the 614 yard shot?

I like the Whitetail load in the SP bullet instead of the SST bullet. They are both interlock bullets. Accubonds are a good choice too.
Sorry I don’t know what the guide had other than they were a white tipped ballistic tip looking bullet and I believe he said they were 140 grains.