835 choke performance?

KDM

Anyone try any aftermarket turkey chokes in an 835?Mine shoots decent patterns with the factory turkey tube but I'm always lookin for an edge.Also since the barrel is already ported does a ported choke reduce more of the recoil?

Brad

I just switched to a Primos Jellyhead and Nitro ammo, and the results were nothing short of remarkable. I was shooting an undertaker and it shot ok but the jellyhead with the Nitros is just unbelievable. Also the recoil is alot less but that is all relative because it still hurts it just doesnt rattle your teeth. When youre shooting at something you dont feel it though.

goindeep

i shoot an 835 with a knoxx spec ops pistol grip and a kicks .670 and i could kill a turkey farther than some folks can shoot a deer. i dont advocate shooting out past 40 yards but i have patterned this gun at 40-70 and i know that at 67 yards it will kill one stone cold dead. (my brother misjudged the distance on one last year)

rutandstrut

I tried several different Chokes in my 835. Kicks GT .680, Rhino .695, Gobblin' Thunder .670, MD-1006 and MD-1007 and the Original Mossberg Ulti-Full Turkey Choke (Non-Ported) that came with the Earlier 835's. I was told by the Nitro Company that the Older Style Mossberg Ulti-Full Choke (Non-Ported) Choke would shoot almost as good as the Rhino Choke in the same Gun. They also said that the Primos Jellyhead worked really well in an 835. The Mossberg Choke and the Jellyhead only had 3-5 less Pellets in the target than the Rhino Choke. I found a couple of the older Solid Mossberg Ulti-Full Turkey Chokes on E-Bay for $5 Each and bought them. The Jellyhead is approx. $29.99-$34.99 depending on where you buy it and how fast you need it! The Rhino Choke is $90+. Hope this helps!

I put a Limbsaver Pad on my 835 and it is very comfortable to shoot with the heaviest 3.5" Loads! The Factory pad on the Straight Stock version is very hard and I think it adds to the Recoil. I would also recommend having a Gun Smith Lengthen the Forcing Cone which will also reduce the Recoil immensely!

cletus T

i just baught a pure gold .670 ported choke tube for my 835 two weeks ago and it helped alot. it really tighten the pattern up at 40 yards. i have also heard a lot of good feedback on indian creek for the 835.

fountain

I would also recommend having a Gun Smith Lengthen the Forcing Cone which will also reduce the Recoil immensely![/QUOTE]

nitro discourages the lengthening of the forcing cone. they do recommend polishing the bbl., but not to work the forcing cone. i was gonn have this done before i read the papers nitro sent me.

i just bought some nitro shells --#7.5, 2 5/8 oz copper shot. i am shooting a .680 kicks in the gun with the 20" bbl and a .670 in one with a 26" bbl. i will pattern both this weekend and post the results.

cletus T

I would also recommend having a Gun Smith Lengthen the Forcing Cone which will also reduce the Recoil immensely!

i done some checking on lengthening the forcing cone. every gunsmith i talked to told me it would ruin a good turkey gun. i was told that it is great for a wing shooter. it gives you a uniform pattern but it spreads it out . and for a turkey gun you want to keep it tight. im sure others may have a different opinion.

fountain

i would not recommend it cletus!!

i thought i saw a lot of people on here having them lengthened.? i was considering doing mine until i got the nitro stuff. i might polish it out and leave it. if i can get 250+ pellets at 40 out of the 12 ga 3.5" mossberg i will be happy.

cletus T

sorry fountain i was not trying to point any fingers. i did polish the barrel on my 835 and it helped alot. it added 38 more shot in a 10" circle at 40 yards

Robk

I shoot an Undertaker .695 in my 935. The forcing cone is factory. I shoot #4's in the Federal Premium. Great performance out to about 48 yards and I have never attempted a longer shot though.

Rob

rutandstrut

i would not recommend it cletus!!

i thought i saw a lot of people on here having them lengthened.? i was considering doing mine until i got the nitro stuff. i might polish it out and leave it. if i can get 250+ pellets at 40 out of the 12 ga 3.5" mossberg i will be happy.

I had it done by a guy in Miss. The Gun I have has a 24" Barrel and a Ulti Full Mossberg Choke. I think it put 325 Pellets in a 10" Paper Plate at 40 Yards after the Forcing COne was lengthened. I tried it before and beside kicking the crap out of my shoulder, it didn't shoot nearly as good as it does now! The Kick was reduced immensely and the pattern and number of pellets in the 10" Circle was increased dramatically!

Check out www.gobblerguns.com. Here is a link to the page that explains what lengthening the Forcing cone does to a Turkey Gun! www.gobblerguns.com/pageshr/servicesmain.html#ConeThey explain all the work that can be done to a Turkey Gun and what the effect it will have on the pattern and pellet count! I think you will be impressed! Rob Roberts knows what he is doing when it comes to Turkey Guns!

rutandstrut

When I shot that pattern I used an 835 with a 24" Barrel that had the Forcing COne Lengthened and Mirror Polished, the Trigger was worked and set to 3 #, I shot Nitro Tri-plex 4 X 5 X 7 Heavy shot with a Rhino Choke. I also tried a Mossberg (Older Style Solid [Non Ported] Extended) Ulti-Full Turkey Choke and a Primos Jellyhead with similar results! This may have been lucky or just a very good Barrel, but it was devastating on Targets and Turkeys!

Here is what Information is on the Nitro Ammo page for the load I was using!

501L #4copper x 5copper x 7hevishot® 290-320 pellets
Hevishot® Turkey Load With A .695 2" Extended Rhino Choke
or a Primos Jelly Head .690 Choke

Last edited:

huntmstr

Banned
I shoot a MAD Max in 4's & 5's with 3.5" Winchester HV shells in #5 and a red dot scope. Awesome performance. In fact, I killed huge bird at 61 yds on Monday and dropped him stone dead.

cletus T

i have heard of people getting devastating patterns. i was talking to a guy on the old gobbler site that is getting similar patterns with his 835. using #7 nitro's. he said he was going to polish his barrel soon and post more patterns. i rarely shoot beyond 30 or 40 yards so im not going to change anything this spring. i might have to give them a try next year.i have a friend of a friend that is a dealer here in va.

Burl E.

I got $300 in chokes for my 835. One day I found a Tru Glo choke after season in the clearance rack at Wally World for $10. It has the best pattern of all the other chokes I have for my 835. I wish I would have found it first.:banginghe

brucemacgee19

I soot the 835 with 24" barrel, #6 environmetal hevi-shot at 2 1/4 oz. in 3 1/2", a pure gold ported .670, everything else is factory except for the all important limb saver pad. and at 40 yds I get 170+ pellets, and in the avatar was at 60 yds with 65 pellets with a good pattern.

rutandstrut

I got $300 in chokes for my 835. One day I found a Tru Glo choke after season in the clearance rack at Wally World for $10. It has the best pattern of all the other chokes I have for my 835. I wish I would have found it first.:banginghe

I know what you mean! My friends Father in Law went to Wally World and bought a Winchester 12 Ga. under $300 and it will shoot better than most guns that I have seen or shot. That gun using the factory Shoke tube and off the shelf Ammo is devastating out to 50+ Yards on a target and a Turkey!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I shoot a Tightwad through mine..I have a 28 inch barrel and it did best with Winchester #6 Supremes.