870 Turkey Shooters

Swamprat

Swamprat
I recently picked up a 870 from a guy at work for 125.00 that has had less than 20 shells ran thru it.

I bought it for turning it into just a turkey gun. Gonna paint it, better sights, sling, choke. etc. Yeah I know, there is better guns out there and I have a few but just want one dedicated turkey gun. My others are turkey/dove/squirrel or home defense.

Figure with what I payed for it I can splurge on it to set it up correct.

My main question is what choke do you recommend. 26" barrel and more than likely be shooting #5's out of it. Not wanting to go thru the whole buy a choke and not what I want then go buy another and repeat the process.

If you got a setup post it up. Thanks for all input.

GDAWG84

My dedicated turkey gun is an 870 with the 26” barrel. I run a factory turkey choke(extra full or super full I can’t remember) and fiber optic sights. Federal flight control #6s. I’ve been very satisfied so far. Longest shot was 54yds.

DRBugman85

Kicks Gobbling Thunder. 660 with Longbeard XR 3 INCH #5 the gun is 45 year old 870 with a million+ rounds run through it.BAD TO THE BONE. Most dependable shotgun made....

Esau

Kicks Gobbling Thunder .665 with Winchester LongBeard XR number 5 shot.

This is the exact set up I use. It works!

blindhog

My dedicated 870 I got from a pawn shop for$150

I put some camo tape on it, an Undertaker 655, and it slays them with #6 Hevi shot. Boom!

Oh, and tru glo fiber optic sights.

armyvet4583

My 870 I shoot a .660 tightwad with #6 long beards. Very tight at 20yrds. Great pattern at 40. This is my back up now so have no pics of patterns. If you go to old gobbler forums they have hundreds of gun/ choke combo patterns. That being said If I was goin to change chokes in it without a doubt I'd go with a sumtoy.

Bubba_1122

I love the 870.I grew up shooting an 16 guage (for many,many years). I shoot turkeys now with an 870 20 guage with TSS #9's (no flap after the shot - DRT).

Mine shoots a Primos Tightwad choke and is topped with a Millet red dot scope (scope cost me $56 on Amazon).

Last edited:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I would not worry about chokes. Any said are great. The shot I would use is the heavy shot. I like no 7. It’s as heavy as s
No 5 shot. All them super chokes will work fine with this killer shot. My 2cent.

Curvebow05

I picked up a Longbeard XR at Cabelas for $17 for my 870. What you shoot out of it makes a huge difference, but I have a box of cheap Remington and Winchester in the closet that will both kill anything in front of it. If you want to pay $20-30 per box go for it. I'll take $10 and dead birds.

matt79brown

I'm with Curvebow05, my 2 dearest turkey pals got expensive chokes and they both shoot expensive shells. I'm shooting a Tru-glo choke with the Remington Nitro #5's from wal-mart. Killed a pile of birds with this set up. No survivors yet. One of em was at 52 steps (not recommending you shoot 'em that far) but it can be done. I could afford to shoot any gun/choke/shell thats out there I guess. But why? Hey if ye got it flaunt it! As for me I just use what works. Save your $ for a good strutter mount when you roll 'em with that ol' 870.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
870 with Kicks GT .655 and Hevi 3"Magnum Blend 5,6,7 shot. 50 yd killing machine.

Steve Roberts

I recently picked up a 870 from a guy at work for 125.00 that has had less than 20 shells ran thru it.

I bought it for turning it into just a turkey gun. Gonna paint it, better sights, sling, choke. etc. Yeah I know, there is better guns out there and I have a few but just want one dedicated turkey gun. My others are turkey/dove/squirrel or home defense.

Figure with what I payed for it I can splurge on it to set it up correct.

My main question is what choke do you recommend. 26" barrel and more than likely be shooting #5's out of it. Not wanting to go thru the whole buy a choke and not what I want then go buy another and repeat the process.

If you got a setup post it up. Thanks for all input.

Hate to differ with you, but there is no better, or more reliable shotgun out there!!! There is some lighter, and more expensive! What gauge is your shotgun?

Been shooting a 20 gauge 870 exclusively for 4-5 seasons now I believe.
Started with a Primos Jellyhead. Now shooting a Sumtoy. Off the shelf the Jellyhead was fantastic. Went to a Sumtoy to get away from a ported choke. Couldn't be more pleased.

Last edited:

chase870

Possum Sox
Forcing cone needs to be lengthened this will improve the pattern. The 870's I hunt with are done that way

hoytslanger87

I’ll give 2 options:
I did Jebs .650 with LB #5 it was around 190 in the 10, 6s 252.

Option 2: Any turkey choke with apex tss #9.