99 Tacoma Prerunner to 4x4 conversion help

Lshaw97

I have the front differential arriving tomorrow, I’ve looked high and looked low for the mounting hardware to bolt the diff to the frame. I’ve called around and found it almost impossible to even find a 97-02 Tacoma /4Runner 4x4 part out in this area. Anyone have any ideas of where to find this hardware, or if anyone knows anybody with a 97-02 Tacoma/4Runner parts vehicle, message me!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
You are taking on an unbelievably aggravating project. I don't have any helpful resource for parts, but I would LOVE to know the motivation that kept you from just buying another truck!!

Just another Toyota lover wanting to know.

Lshaw97

You are taking on an unbelievably aggravating project. I don't have any helpful resource for parts, but I would LOVE to know the motivation that kept you from just buying another truck!!

Just another Toyota lover wanting to know.

Hard to find another one that is clean, and besides not currently being 4x4, it is the perfect daily driver IMO. Plus it will be rewarding to do a conversion like this. Manual transfer case and manual locking hubs shouldn’t leave me stuck in the woods.

Attachments

• 95F2F1ED-AF32-4C47-A87D-2C34FE254007.jpeg
    95F2F1ED-AF32-4C47-A87D-2C34FE254007.jpeg
    389 KB · Views: 36

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Rock on, man!

Please do keep this updated as the project goes forward. I want to see how this turns out.

It'll be a good one to watch during the off season.

I just bought this clean '98 for 6K, to be my 2000 4runner's little brother.

IMG_20210309_172026183.jpg

LOVE ME SOME OL' TOYOTAS!!!

Robert28

Rock on, man!

Please do keep this updated as the project goes forward. I want to see how this turns out.

It'll be a good one to watch during the off season.

I just bought this clean '98 for 6K, to be my 2000 4runner's little brother.

View attachment 1071003

LOVE ME SOME OL' TOYOTAS!!!
That’s a $10,000 truck around my area ALL DAY LONG. I’ve seen Tacoma’s that didn’t have a straight panel on them sell for 6,000 but that’s about the only way you’ll find one for 6,000 around here.lol

Taco4x4

Check out TacomaWorld they have threads on every mod you can think of. Someone there should be able to help you find what your looking for. I have two 2G Tacoma's a 12 and 15 also a 15 4runner and 94 4runner in the yard. Our own little Toyota Nation. :) Good luck with the build.

Lshaw97

Before you get going, make sure the front differential and the rear are the same ratio.

Yessir my rear is 4:30, and I don’t believe they produce a 4x4 Tacoma with 4:30. So had to get a front diff out of a 4Runner

7 point

I would go ahead and put a solid front axle in it

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I have the front differential arriving tomorrow, I’ve looked high and looked low for the mounting hardware to bolt the diff to the frame. I’ve called around and found it almost impossible to even find a 97-02 Tacoma /4Runner 4x4 part out in this area. Anyone have any ideas of where to find this hardware, or if anyone knows anybody with a 97-02 Tacoma/4Runner parts vehicle, message me!
M14 x 180 Try tractor supply.

7 point

Look for a solid front axle from a 70s jeep wagoneer it's the same width and bolt pattern the diff is on the same side as well

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Had a buddy do a Tacoma with all the under gear from a wrecked Series 80 Land Cruiser. That thing was very cool and a BEAST!

It was about 99% factory Toyota, but he had mad fabbin' skills, and a pile of money. Some rich guy wound up with it at about twice the price, and my buddy moved to the next project.

7 point

But honestly I would just put a set of mud grips and let it ride it would easier and cheaper.