9mm for deer

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Thanks for the responses. I've never hunted with a pistol before and never had any interest it really because I didn't think it made much since till the other day when I jumped a deer walking in about 20 yards away so I wondered if it was possible. I didn't know so I asked before I tried.

csgreen1

Its all about knowing your guns limitations and your ability! The size of the weapon don't make a man ethical and respectful!

Tom W.

Use a good heavy cast bullet at a close range with a stout load.

I don't think I'd go hunting specifically with my CZ 75 SP01, but if that's what was with me at the time and the stars were in my favor.....

I DO go with my SRH .44 mag.

mdgreco191

Use a good heavy cast bullet at a close range with a stout load.

I don't think I'd go hunting specifically with my CZ 75 SP01, but if that's what was with me at the time and the stars were in my favor.....

I DO go with my SRH .44 mag.

44 mag will put em down.

Reactions: Dub

dtala

Alaskan Master Guide Phil Shoemaker killed a big Brown Bear in self defense while guiding a couple fishing on an alaskan river. The bear charged at the couple within 10 feet of Phil who shot it as it closed on the couple. First shot to the neck, second to shoulder, then several more as the bear twisted and flailed around at least than 10 FEET. It finally collapsed . The gun? A S&W 9mm loaded with Buffalo Bore cast bullet loads.

Is a 9mm a BEAR defense gun??? THAT day , in Phils capable calm hands, it was.

bowbuck

Killed two does once with a Glock 19. Broke both their necks by shooting them right in the white throat patch. About 15 yards with 147 gr. Hollow points off the ground. They seemed pretty convinced it worked as I dragged em out. Not my everyday gun but it took care of buisness.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Alaskan Master Guide Phil Shoemaker killed a big Brown Bear in self defense while guiding a couple fishing on an alaskan river. The bear charged at the couple within 10 feet of Phil who shot it as it closed on the couple. First shot to the neck, second to shoulder, then several more as the bear twisted and flailed around at least than 10 FEET. It finally collapsed . The gun? A S&W 9mm loaded with Buffalo Bore cast bullet loads.

Is a 9mm a BEAR defense gun??? THAT day , in Phils capable calm hands, it was.
I saw an old man kill a 350 lb bear dead as a hammer with a .22 short to the earhole, too. I killed a deer with a .22LR once many years ago. When I go deer or bear hunting though, I don't generally tote a .22.

Shot placement and penetration is everything . Can you and your cartridge accomplish both every time ? My lower limit is HOT 357 magnum in 140 gr. Or greater !

Reactions: Dub

pacecars

If it was all I had I would use a hard cast bullet and go for a brain shot up close.

Mark R

Georgia used to have a law . 500 ft lbs at 50 yards I think . it eliminated some of the ignorance . now it just says .22 centerfire expanding . guess somebody may try a .25 acp .

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
.22LR or .25ACP is legal for deer here, but I don't see many people toting one to their deer stand.

transfixer

Georgia used to have a law . 500 ft lbs at 50 yards I think . it eliminated some of the ignorance . now it just says .22 centerfire expanding . guess somebody may try a .25 acp .

That's probably due to our legislators setting those guidelines, why in the world we allow politicians to set regulations for things most of them know nothing about ? I'll never understand,,,, the old laws regarding the use of pistols for deer hunting made more sense to me,,,