9mm reloading vs cheap brass ammo

Brother David

I have started shooting more now than ever . My question is how many rounds a year is going to make reloading profitable . I work a 40hr job , as well as Pastor a Church . My 14 son plays travel baseball 6 months out of the year . My time is limited ,but money doesn't grow on trees . I'm not into performance just relaxing while punching holes and ringing plates . Thanks in advance for advice .
Psalm 20:7

Lilly001

With 9mm as cheap as it is, I can't see reloading it for casual shooting. At 16 or 17 cents a round I could see maybe saving 5 cents a round reloading. Is your time worth that?
I do keep my brass.
You never know when things will change.

dslc6487

At today's prices, buy your ammo. Spend the extra time with your son. When he is gone to college or out from under your roof, what do you want to say to yourself, "look at the few pennies I saved by reloading ammo, or, look at the extra time I had with my son"? However, do save your brass.

transfixer

A lot will depend on what caliber you're talking about, as mentioned 9mil can be found loaded fairly cheaply, when you get into larger calibers and rifle ammo, the savings when reloading can be significant. Of course with some calibers you can find military surplus type ammo that isn't that expensive if you shop around.

jmoser

I reload for accuracy and consistency; not cost savings.

9mm plinking / blasting ammo is not worth my time to reload. Even many action shooting events do not need any significant measure of accuracy.

My 9mm 1911 gets 124 gr LSWC for x ring accuracy on PPC targets to 25 yards; I can get softer recoiling and more accurate loads for my G34 with lead handloads vs jacketed bulk ammo.

I cannot load quality handloads for much less than $.10 each; the 650XL is a huge time saver but for general blasting just get bulk FMJ factory ammo and forget about it.

leoparddog

I think getting into reloading is a long-term vision thing. Right now, you aren't going to really save any money. 5 years ago or so when ammo was sky high and hard to find, you could save $$. Prices of components and ammo do change over the years. If you stock up on components when they are relatively affordable, you'll be prepared when ammo and components are scarce.

I'd say, buy a good turret press and dies. Buy components when you see them on sale or can afford to buy in bulk. The day will come when you will be happy you did.

Tom W.

I both cast and handload. I have a LOT of 9mm brass, and generally collect some every time I go to the range. 99% of it is brand new once fired purchased there, as it's a requirement if you use their pistols.

I have the time to putter now that I'm medically disabled and a colon cancer survivor, but a tad weaker than I was. Some times I'll go cast a pile of rifle or pistol bullets, the next day or so I'll lube and size them or just store them for later sizing. I don't get out as much as I used to, so the reloading room is a huge blessing!

robinsonfam1

It depends on how much you shoot. We shoot about 500-1000 rounds of 9 per month. That savings adds up quick! IDPA etc...
300 bo adds up really fast!

But if you're only shooting a couple boxes a month or less reloading for savings is not effective.