9mm Revolvers-- why not?

smokey30725

Doesn't Charter Arms still have a 9mm revolver that doesn't require moon clips? I know they had 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP models a few years back.

JackSprat

For generations, the ADVANTAGES of the .38 snubby revolvers were:

A.) Low cost, compared to semi-autos.
B.) More reliable; don't jam or malfunction.
C.) Ammo cost and availability. .38 special was just one small step above .22 LR for affordability back in the 1950s through 1980s. I bought plenty of commercially remanufactured .38 wadcutters for 10 cents a round, and factory-new 158 gr. RNL for 16 cents a shot.
D.) No complicated manual of arms to learn to keep the gun in operation.

You forgot an important one.

FTF - Semiauto - What do I do now? Revolver -pull the trigger again

Jam, Stovepipe - Semiauto - What do I do now? Revolver -what's that?

Jam, FTE, Semiauto - What question, I know I'm screwed now. Revolver -What's that?

Reload- Semiauto -O.K as soon as I find the magazine, and find the hole it goes into by turning the gun upside down, I'll stick it there, but wait, is there one in the chamber, or not, and then what do I do? Revolver- put a bullet in each hole, close the cylinder. If you are in a hurry, put a bullet in half the holes, it will still go bang eventually.

Ammo - Semiauto - use only ammo handcrafted by gnomes in the Black Forest, because my gun is very fussy about what it eats. If it just not the exact right powder and the exact right bullet, if gets the belly ache and won't come out and play. Revolver - if it fits in the cylinder, it will pretty much go bang 5 or 6 times. Heck, you can even use .32 ACP in a .32 S&W, try doing the opposite. With moon clips you can fire all common semiauto rounds in a revolver. Try doing the opposite.

I'm a 95 lb. woman with arthritic hands, and not much arm strength- Semiauto - sucks to be you. Revolver - hold it with both hands, thumb cock and fire.

Trigger pull - Semiauto - short reset trigger, cool, if you ignore the high rate of self inflicted injuries - of course, that's usually operator error by an operator who has received hours of specialized instruction and range time. But hey, thank goodness you can buy one off the shelf, and keep it in your bedside table. Ignore the fact that the most popular modern semiauto in the world is using Gen 53 trigger, or something like that. Revolver - the long slow DA trigger pull is a DESIGNED safety feature to guard against unintended discharges into self or 3rd parties. Pretty much the only people who shoot themselves with a revolver intended to do so.

Unless the cost of production just becomes prohibitive, revolvers, and particularly small revolvers in revolver calibers are going to be around a long long time. The Colt 1911 is all sorts of obsolete, yet there are more makes and model and calbers than at any time in history, and a new one introduced every week. The .45 ACP is obsolete -it's like me, slow and fat, but it's being reintroduced by the military.