A black bear struck by an arrow recently mauled a Southern California hunter...

Thread starter #1
in advance of next weekend's festivities, word to the wise......

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018...ow-mauls-hunter-before-dying-reports-say.html

A black bear struck by an arrow recently mauled a Southern California hunter who approached the wounded animal to get a closer look, a report said.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported this week that the unidentified hunter suffered serious injuries during the mauling Aug. 24 in the San Bernardino Mountains. He was hospitalized.

The Los Angeles Times reported that the hunter suffered injuries to his upper torso and face.

The hunter was joined by two others at the time and reportedly believed the bear was dead when he approached the 300-pound animal. The bear later died, but the hunter’s condition was not immediately known.

Bow-and-arrow hunting in Southern California is legal from now until early September or until 1,700 bears are killed. An animal expert told the Times that black bear attacks are extremely rare.

“It’s something that we learn at the very beginning of hunter education: After you shoot an animal and approach it, you need to be very careful,” Patrick Foy, a California Department of Fish and Wildlife captain, told the paper. “They teach you to be prepared with a follow-up shot in case the animal runs or is suffering needlessly.”

Posted anonymously on another forum.....Default Archer Mulled By Wounded Black Bear, Banning Canyon Area
I know him. Experienced hunter. Ripped his face severely, lost one eye at least. Extremely thrashed. He is in very serious condition. I was told he left the stand to soon. I'm hearing his buddy saved his life. Rough all the way around. (he waited 30 mins b4 approaching bear)

Last edited:

leoparddog

Any bear worth shooting once, is worth shooting twice. Stick him a second time to make sure he don't jump up and bite you. With deer I'll walk up and give it a touch or poke just to be sure. A bear? Nope - it would get a second arrow or bullet.

Bears don't play. Don't play with bears.

I had a dying bear anchored to the ground with a spine shot once. He was about bled out and clearly almost gone and rather than waste another arrow on him, I pulled my knife and was going to puncture his lungs. Then, common sense took over and I shot him again. $20 worth of arrow was cheaper than getting my arm chewed off.

Yep a wounded bear is nothing to mess with. When your trailing one at night it tends to keep you on your toes. Especially when your crawling through a ivy thicket.

I had a dying bear anchored to the ground with a spine shot once. He was about bled out and clearly almost gone and rather than waste another arrow on him, I pulled my knife and was going to puncture his lungs. Then, common sense took over and I shot him again. $20 worth of arrow was cheaper than getting my arm chewed off.
Yeah I finished off a spine-shot deer with my knife once on the Blue Ridge muzzleloader hunt when I was young and dumb wont be doing that again. That 69 lb. field-dressed spike took me for a ride I'll never forget without the use of his hindquarters. It's a wonder I didnt cut myself before I got his throat cut.