A few large points

Al33

I have been trying to make some larger points lately and this is what I have to show for my efforts. The long skinny black one is made from a dacite slab and I did not intend for it to be that narrow. I had a hard time getting the flat spots out of it. I am sure that was because of my lack of flaking skills combined with the fact it was a wide thin slab I started with.

I included a few of my latest smaller points also.

Attachments

• 5points12-30-07.jpg
    5points12-30-07.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 638
  • point01-03-08.jpg
    point01-03-08.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 631

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Very good Al! The long point puts me in mind of an Elk River blade. That`s a North Carolina point type.

dutchman

Great work, Al! You're a natural at that knappin' stuff!

choctawlb

Al,
Man you have come a long way in a short time, but you need to remember to sleep and eat occasionally.:rofl::rofl::rofl:. At this stage you are getting to the point in the learning phase where you need to find some really good knappers to show you a few tricks that will shoot your learning curve lights years from where you are , as far as thinning , ect. Be careful though as at this point knapping is all you will want to do. It will totally engulf you, and you won't be able to walk by a piece of workable flint , without picking it up and starting to work it. I have been at that point for the last year or so , much to the displeasure of my wife, and a few blacksmithing fans. Maybe we should start a Knappers Anoynamous chapter.:huh:
Ken

Al33

Thanks guys! I'm thinking I may have to give this hobby up due to my fingers swelling so bad on my left hand. The middle finger gets stiff as a board and on mornings like this one I can cannot curl it back into my palm. Makes shooting my bow a bit difficult too. I am sure it is because it is the middle finger that does most of the point holding when I knap.

Ken, you have been right all along with getting obsessed with the knapping. Last week I had to put everything away and out of sight just to get some other things done. When I leave it out in plain sight it draws me to it like a magnet and the next thing I know is I have spent a couple of hours playing with the rocks or working on tools.:bounce:

Nugefan

Maybe we should start a Knappers Anoynamous chapter.:huh:
Ken

Hi , I am Andy and I am a knapper ..... whew at least I got it off my chest ....:bounce:

lookin' good Mr Al .......:banana:

Smokey

So when do you start giving lessons?

Hunk

Hey Al... do you give lessons? I'd love to learn how to make some points. I find a good number in the woods.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Those are some nice points!