A First for me.

bowhunterdavid

That is to get bit by a Rattle Snake. My opening day of bow season was cut short Saturday morning when i went to lay my bow down to put my backpack on. I didn't see the snake till it hit me on the hand. I had a twenty minute walk to my 4 wheeler and then a 2 mile ride to the cabin. By the time i got to camp i thought my hand was going to explode with swelling. I call the land owner to ask which hospital i should go to from Wilkes county and he call 911 and they said Augusta had Antivenom and that i needed a ride in a ambulance. So my hunting buddy the land owner and myself headed toward Washington to meet the ambulance on the side of the road. I cant describe how painful it is and hope none of you have to to go through it . I hope my insurance will cover the cost. Two days in ICU Ten units of Antivenom and the ambulance ride. The staff at Augusta Hospital where top notch and very thankful for how they took care of me. Swelling in my hand and arm is still very bad and they said it could take two weeks before its gone. There is no way i can shoot my bow for a while but it could be worse, and very thankful the Good Lord Above was looking after me. My story is not a pity story about me but for all my Trad Bow Brothers and sisters to be careful this time of year in the woods. I have been bow hunting 40 years and this is a first for me, and i hope the last. Good luck to all this season, keep the pictures coming. I hope by next week to be back at it again. Be safe all. I will try to post pictures of my hand and arm sometime.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I hope you have a full and speedy recovery. What type rattler was it, and did they administer antivenom or Crofab?

jbogg

I’m sorry it happened, but glad that you are going to be OK. Thanks for sharing your story, as it is a good reminder. I wear snake boots religiously, but we need to be conscious of what is around before we pick something up, or lay something on the ground.

bowhunterdavid

I hope you have a full and speedy recovery. What type rattler was it, and did they administer antivenom or Crofab?
Nick it was small and got in the brush before i got a good look at it. Pygmy rattler is what it kinda of looked like but not sure. It was only about 20 inches long. They gave me antivenom. Thanks for the kind words.

Hillbilly stalker

Man I feel for you. I wish you a speedy recovery. I was scouting for acorns the day before yesterday and slipped up on a 2 1/2 foot young timber rattler. He never moved or made a sound, even when I moved him with a stick. He's fixen to be a hat band now. I believe I will go ahead and call around and see if our hospitals carry any anti venom.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nick it was small and got in the brush before i got a good look at it. Pygmy rattler is what it kinda of looked like but not sure. It was only about 20 inches long. They gave me antivenom. Thanks for the kind words.

Glad it was a small snake because it sounds like it gave you a full dose. Pygmy`s do have a much worse disposition than a canebrake. These days, if I get bit, I figure it will be on the hand or arm too. Your thread is a good reminder to look close before picking up anything off the ground.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That sucks for sure, glad to hear you're going to be ok, though. Another reminder also for folks who think snake boots will keep you safe. Out of about 20 folks I know who have been bitten by venomous snakes, almost every one of them got hit on the hand, finger, or arm. I don't think I know a single person who has ever been bitten on the leg.

bobocat

Thanks for sharing and hope you have a quick recovery. This is a good reminder to always be on the look and I will be sharing your story with my little boys.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That sucks for sure, glad to hear you're going to be ok, though. Another reminder also for folks who think snake boots will keep you safe. Out of about 20 folks I know who have been bitten by venomous snakes, almost every one of them got hit on the hand, finger, or arm. I don't think I know a single person who has ever been bitten on the leg.

I do. And snake boots will protect your lower legs and feet. I know this, from personal experience. It makes perfect sense to wear them because those extremities are are on or close to the ground a lot more than your upper extremities.

sorry to hear this David. Poisonous snakes are always on my mind when I'm down there, unless I see hogs. then I forget all about snakes. Hope you make a full recovery and get back to hunting soon.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I do. And snake boots will protect your lower legs and feet. I know this, from personal experience. It makes perfect sense to wear them because those extremities are are on or close to the ground a lot more than your upper extremities.
Oh, no doubt. I'm just saying that I know a lot of folks who have been bitten, but none of them were just walking around. They were either pulling weeds, grabbing a rock or bush to pull up a steep hill, picking cucumbers/vegetables in the garden, or picking up brush or lumber or something else up off the ground when they got bit. Just a reminder that most folks think more about getting bitten while walking around, but it's usually not the case. We need to watch where we put our hands as much as we need to watch where we put our feet. I've about gotten zapped on the hand by a copperhead once myself.

beretta

Hope you have speedy recovery sir! I have come across three venomous snakes in the last two weeks of hunting, two rattlesnakes and one Cottonmouth.

hambone76

Sorry for your misfortune but glad that you got to definitive care in time to have it addressed. Hope all goes well for you.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I'm glad it wasn't worse. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Not picking on you.

Folks if you get bitten and have cell phone coverage. You should call someone to come get you. You want to keep your heart rate as low as possible. I know it may not be possible. But you need to try.