A fitting end and redemption

devolve

Found out yesterday my lease of 9 years is being sold. May 15th is my last day to have everything out.

Well, last Sunday I had a gun malfunction on a gobbler I called up. Full strut at 20 yards and “click”.

Fast forward to today (my birthday). I had a VERY long and steep walk ahead of me and I was going to be very close to a roost. So I started my walk very very early. I got to my predetermined spot to listen. I got comfortable and dozed off for a while.
I woke up about 6am nice and rested. At 6:41 I hear the first gobble. 200-300 yards to my south. Then I hear two more gobblers sound off. One to my east 100-200 yards and one north/east 300 or so yards away.
I was on a hardwood ridge that has an old logging road running through it. Below the ridge was a green field off a power line. The green field on the other side of the power line is the neighbors property.
At 7:10 a hen pitched into the power line. I watched a gobbler sail off his roost and land right behind her. They strolled off into the sunrise together. The 3 gobbled 60+ times from 6:41 to 7:30.
From 7:30 till 8 it was silent. I had made some calls to the gobblers once they were down from roost. They new where I was. At 8:15 I made some soft yelps and a gobbler hammered about 150 yards away. I cut at him and he gobbled back at me. I cut again and he gobbled again. After that I made some very soft bubble clucks and raked leaves.
8:45 I here another gobble about 100 yards away dead south of me. I never made a sound (that was tough to do). 9:01 I see a red head coming through the hardwoods on the other side of a large blowdown. And there was 2! When the gobbler stepped out from behind the blowdown another one stepped right behind him. They were identical!
As the lead gobbler made it around the tree I was already in position with safety off. 25 yards and BOOM! The second gobbler ran 15 yards and stopped. I shot him at 10 steps.
Redemption for last weekends gobbler that got away do to a click. A wonderful birthday present. And a hunt I will never forget as the last hunt on this property after 9 years.
Tagged out in GA. Headed to TN
0B4ED991-789B-4AE3-82EB-D475DADAD31C.jpeg

wooly

A fitting end indeed! Good for you! Surely a great hunt to remember.
Congrats to you!

wvdawg

Staff member
Congrats on a great season.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Hate to hear about your lease but congrats on your birds ! I would of shot both also ! And happy birthday , just happens to be mine also !