A ? for the Jewish community

stev

Banned
what you looking for kosher

broadway cafe on briarcliff rd in the ole jewish neighborhood is good

Capt Quirk

Found Matzos at Publix... in Macon, but I have been really wanting smoked Whitefish. And Halavah, which isn't technically "kosher", but I can't find that either. I've been having to drive an hour to Macon or Milledgeville for Lox, but the local Walmart just started carrying some. Only took them a year:rolleyes:

gtparts

There is always Augusta and Savannah. Honestly, the best kosher deli in Atl. for years was Baron's.... long gone. The four or five Kroger stores listed seem to do a good job of meeting the needs of the Jewish communities around, but I have no idea of how many still keep kosher. Used to be a rather large number in the 50's and 60's.

Capt Quirk

The Kroegers I went to in Macon were pretty skimpy on most of the stuff I wanted, but they had Matzos, Lox, and maybe gifelta fish- which I never could eat. Not really a whole lot, until you compare the local walmart.

Lowjack

ISLANDS MEAT MARKET Write review for this local business
136 Sea Island Pkwy Ste 2, Beaufort, SC 29907
37.4MI from Savannah
(843) 525-6162

jason4445

One of the reasons you don't see many Kosher places in the south is most Jews in the south are Reform Jews. They are suppose to keep a strict kosher kitchen and diet, but most don't except during Passover and other Holy Days. Most don't eat pork, but that is about the only Kosher thing they really do in day to day life and I have known many that ate pork anyway.

Capt Quirk

I really didn't expect this to be a huge location for Jews, but still a little surprised that it is at least 2 hours in any direction to find a deli. Maybe I'll have better luck finding somebody to ship me a fix once in a while?

gtparts

I really didn't expect this to be a huge location for Jews, but still a little surprised that it is at least 2 hours in any direction to find a deli. Maybe I'll have better luck finding somebody to ship me a fix once in a while?

This best online sources are expensive.... N.Y. and N.J. seem to stand out on the East coast. Happy hunting!

Capt Quirk

It does look like it could be pricey to order. While we were in Macon yesterday, I asked bout some smoked whitefish. I was told they could order it, but I'd have to get 5 lbs. This place, I can get 3 lbs for $18, plus shipping. Next payday...

crackerdave

Keith,you come on up here to Mama Goldberg's Deli in Lagrange.She'll fix ya up,and it's only a four hour drive!

charlie81

There is a place in Macon called Papoulis Medeterranean Cafe on Tom Hill close to Publix. Not a lot of kosher items but they do have Hallaval( 3 flavors), and a lot of other stuff like it in their deli section. They also have really great gyros and chicago italian beef.